Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
if i produce a product which harms people then i should be prosecuted and sued. that is the way it should work.

having said that, most of these big scares occur in factory farms. funny then that when new regulations come into existence it's invariably followed by heaps of small business closures
Exactly! Who cares about a few deaths? It's "only" 14 so far from listeria. If enough people die from a product, the producer will go out of business, thus fulfilling the free-market philosophy that the market is always self-correcting. The "right to life" is secondary to the right to use one's personal property as one wishes. Property rights trump everything!

Or should I say, "Dead people can't sue".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Libertarians are the ONLY generous, fair and sane people on the entire political scene today.
Libertarian ideal: Do as you will as long as no harm is done to others.

Libertarian reality: Do as you will, screw the others.

Hey, tonight I'm a cynic.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Libertarian ideal: Do as you will as long as no harm is done to others.

Libertarian reality: Do as you will, screw the others.

Hey, tonight I'm a cynic.
Liberal Democrat ideal: free rides for everyone!

Liberal Democrat reality: I work 80 hours a week make just enough money to support me and my family, ten unwed teen mothers with babies, 20 retired people, 10 people who can't find jobs, and 10 people who don't want to find a job because their government checks allow them to have fun all day everyday, and 100 corrupt government bureaucrats.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:10 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Liberal Democrat ideal: free rides for everyone!

Liberal Democrat reality: I work 80 hours a week make just enough money to support me and my family, ten unwed teen mothers with babies, 20 retired people, 10 people who can't find jobs, and 10 people who don't want to find a job because their government checks allow them to have fun all day everyday, and 100 corrupt government bureaucrats.
And all those "freeloaders" put together don't come close to the cost of even one unregulated Wall Street shyster... as we've all learned only too well.

Or as Alan Greenspan, the former Federal Reserve chairman infamously said, he “made a mistake” in trusting that free markets could regulate themselves (well duh, 'ya think)?!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:58 AM

913 posts, read 872,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
And all those "freeloaders" put together don't come close to the cost of even one unregulated Wall Street shyster... as we've all learned only too well.

Or as Alan Greenspan, the former Federal Reserve chairman infamously said, he “made a mistake” in trusting that free markets could regulate themselves (well duh, 'ya think)?!

wall street is unregulated??? i'm glad you think so. this is without doubt the most idiotic post you have made. wall street is drowning in financial regulation. the problem is it tends to drown the little man who can't afford an army of compliance officers.

alan greenspan can't spell 'free markets'! he dragged interest rates down to zero and then 1 % for ages. free markets have free market interest rates not federal reserve interest rates! it is critical for you to understand that but unfortunately you probably never will

Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These guys assume that everybody would refrain from violence, never do anything to bring harm to another and are always honest. Well some people will steal from others, sell poisoned food, and lie like rugs. I do not want to live in such a society.

REGULATION VACATION CELEBRATION! - YouTube

Old 09-29-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I don't agree with your argument about the FDA jumping into the parade. It has led the food safety parade from the time it was necessary to create the agency. The FDA is instrumental in providing funding for research, public awareness, and education in food safety; and it partners with private industry groups in setting uniform food safety standards. If the federal government didn't do this, the individual states would do it, guaranteed. How long would it take for fifty different safety standards to develop?

There is regulation, of course, but unlike private industry group recommendations or market pressure, compliance is mandatory. It is a pain in the arse, but it has been beneficial to building public trust, and consequently profits, in the industry.

I never argued that the FDA is responsible for the technological advances involved in extending product shelf-life. That lies totally within the profit motive of individual firms.

That's my opinion and you haven't convinced me to change it.

it doesn't matter to you that the fda, usda, epa etc have robbed so many americans of their right to earn a living. you would prefer it if big business owned everything and the little man who couldn't work for walmart, went on welfare. lovely. and you then believe this will cure all the worlds ills. well, that's the way the worlds going. walmart will soon own everything and the dream of being able to make something of your life will be gone.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

there is a big difference between no govt and limited government. you and the makers of this video are being disingenuous!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:48 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
there is a big difference between no govt and limited government. you and the makers of this video are being disingenuous!
Same old stupid strawman they use every time.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Exactly! Who cares about a few deaths? It's "only" 14 so far from listeria. If enough people die from a product, the producer will go out of business, thus fulfilling the free-market philosophy that the market is always self-correcting. The "right to life" is secondary to the right to use one's personal property as one wishes. Property rights trump everything!

Or should I say, "Dead people can't sue".

of all the people on this forum i find it hardest to believe that you. katiana, would be a shill for the big corporations! in any sector from finance to agriculture, retail to pharmaceuticals, those who encourage govt bureaucracy are doing work for the big corporations whether they know it or not.

there isn't any amount of bureaucracy that could save those lives. i'm sure you'll disagree though. in your utopian vision where the govt looks after us, nobody will die from food poisoning. it is quite odd then that people refer to libertarians as idealists with a rather edgy grasp on reality, when it is we who accept that in any system there is a margin for error. perhaps though you think every single melon, every single sausage, every single grape should be tested before being put on shelves. that will hardly raise the price.

an argument could also be made that in our obsession to kill bacteria we've created a society without the necessary immunity to deal with the odd bacterial infection. 14 died another 100 or so were probably made ill, from a farm which probably produced tens of thousands of melons according to strict govt guidelines.

it is a big world out there and occassionally ***t happens!

Last edited by sammbriggs; 09-29-2011 at 03:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies