Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 AM

913 posts, read 874,097 times

Advertisements

LPAC 2011: Rand Paul Pt. 1 - YouTube

watch from 9 minutes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,481,750 times
Sure, why worry about stuff like food and product safety, clean air and water, segregation, monopolies or insider trading. And while we're at it, to hell with education, enforcing laws, or taking care of the poor, the elderly, or even our vets! 'Cuz it's all about ME now, so every man and woman for themselves, and it's Devil take the hindmost!

Sorry, but frankly I think so-called Libertarians are nothing but Narcissists with a better sales pitch.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,897,847 times
These guys assume that everybody would refrain from violence, never do anything to bring harm to another and are always honest. Well some people will steal from others, sell poisoned food, and lie like rugs. I do not want to live in such a society.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Sure, why worry about stuff like food and product safety, clean air and water, segregation, monopolies or insider trading. And while we're at it, to hell with education, enforcing laws, or taking care of the poor, the elderly, or even our vets! It's every man and woman for themselves, and Devil take the hindmost!

over 90% of food illnesses are caused by improper preparation at home. what do you suggest? how about cctv in our homes so the usda and fda can protect us from food bourne illness. i normally don't buy food from filthy stores, govt approved or not. it's encouraging to know that you would take the govts word even if the store you shopped at was rancid. oh and our water would be filthy because there's no way our local councils could provide clean water without federal assitance.

as for segregation, if it wasn't for the federal govt we'd still be lynching people, wouldn't we. just when i thought you commentary couldn't be more out of whack you mention insider trading. let me tell you something about insider trading. with current regulations and enforcement, it's only illegal if you do it. if the big boys on wall street do it, nobody bats an eyelid. it goes on everyday and seldom do the big guys get busted. sure they roast a few hot shots now and then but never the big guns.

govts create and maintain the majority of monopolies. if you don't understand that then you're beyond help. when the govt pushes through regulations who closes down? your little biotech firm or the big pharmaceuticals? the big banks or the little regional ones? the big toy manufacturers or the one man garage toy maker? it is right in front of your eyes and you refuse to see. these govt regulations aren't designed to help you, they are designed to hamper competition.

without the feds we'd all be uneducated, the elderly would die on the streets and the poor would starve. you must live in a very sad place if you trust the govt in dc more than your common man to help you out when times are tough.

very sad

Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These guys assume that everybody would refrain from violence, never do anything to bring harm to another and are always honest. Well some people will steal from others, sell poisoned food, and lie like rugs. I do not want to live in such a society.

i don't. i'm not an anarchist, i still believe there ought to be some govt. police, courts, military, . the rest give to the states

Old 09-27-2011, 06:41 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
i don't. i'm not an anarchist, i still believe there ought to be some govt. police, courts, military, . the rest give to the states
Oh yeah, no labor laws, dirt wages, poison dog food, toxic toys, poison melamine milk, etc,.... sounds like you'd be very happy living in China. Which seems to be about where some places are headed anyway... like TX for example.

Gov. Rick Perry - China Loves Him.mp4 - YouTube

Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,796,018 times
Quote:
over 90% of food illnesses are caused by improper preparation at home...
Do you realize that you point out how successful over the 20th century the FDA has been in food inspection when you say this?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,517,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Oh yeah, no labor laws, dirt wages, poison dog food, toxic toys, poison melamine milk, etc,.... sounds like you'd be very happy living in China. Which seems to be about where some places are headed anyway... like TX for example.

Gov. Rick Perry - China Loves Him.mp4 - YouTube
Not China, since the Chinese government is everywhere and is in everything. The Libertarian ideal is Haiti or Somalia: countries with governments that are so weak they can't care for their own citizens during natural disasters. Places where businesses have more firepower than the local police and instead of paying taxes they pay bribes.

Too many people have no idea how much the quality of life in the U.S. is the result of our government, and have never seen first-hand places that are closer to their 'ideal'.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,795,952 times
Somalia is thriving these days.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,007,853 times
Quote:
over 90% of food illnesses are caused by improper preparation at home.
Tell that to these people:

Colorado-caused listeria outbreak approaching grim milestone for death count - The Denver Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies