Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:24 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
There are jobs. But its more complicated than that. Granted a lot of them are technical and require skill and/or education. Many companies just put these out there because its the law when the really want to bring in h1b1 workers because the can't "find" anybody qualified.
There was a recent article that Siemens, a German engineering group, is having a hard time find skilled Americans to fill jobs in the U.S.

There is a skill mismatch but there are many companies like Siemens who have for the last two decades have relied on other to train employees to work for them. Today we are witnessing the result of those actions---lack trained workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 11:54 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
One major issue that was only mentioned once(I believe) on this very thread was commuting. Yeah there are jobs out there, but not too many people want to travel 20, 30 miles or so to get there, and everyone doesn't have a car. And yeah the alternative is to take the bus, but a lot of bus route schedules do not run on all hours. Time is part of an employer's decision making in the hiring process, so job seekers will have to keep that in mind.

I have been at UPS for a year now and the job is located 25 miles from my house. For about half of my time working at UPS, I drove there every day- stupid me. I only make $10/hour , so driving was really burning my pockets. About 6 months ago, I got into an unfortunate car accident, leading me to take the bus(what I should've done in the get go). Thank goodness I had some savings, so I was able to get an inexpensive car within a few weeks after the accident, but I still ride the bus to work just because it is way cheaper and I barely make above minimum wage on top of that. The only problem I have with my bus route is its time schedule is very finite, it goes to the UPS location about 2-3 times on weekdays, M-F, so if I want to change shifts while wanting to continue communting through bus, I will have to work around my bus' schedule.

Also another reality is there are simply not enough jobs for everyone in this country. With 311 million people and over half of which are of working age, and take in that there are more people than jobs, you can pretty much have an idea of what it equals to. Mass immigration is making it worse, since America can't feed all of its citizen, let alone have to feed 12-20 million people who are not proper citizens. Other than people are mad at illegals for breaking the law by just being here in the first place, I think more people are mad because there are too many of them, and they fill these new comers are taking jobs that should be entitled for Americans only. According to economicists, there will always be an natural unemployment, which I think is around 3-5%. If that is true, then what I just said previously is moot. But seriously, how many people can this country sustain? What is the breaking point. We surely don't want our unemployment rate to be too high, because that could happen if our population gets too high with only little job creation.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:23 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I wasn't getting on you, I was just pointing out that the 2 are really nothing alike. The big boys in tech find you, you don't have to market yourself to them.

I once had Apple approach me for an opening as head of their entire security division. I told them I didn't have much interest, but that didn't stop them from flying me down to the Bay, first class, putting me up in a great hotel for 4 days, and giving me their sales pitch (which I guess one could call an interview, though it was an interview in reverse). I was nonchalant, disengaged, intentionally aloof, and made absolutely no attempt to "sell myself" to any of the people I met.

When I left the Bay and got back home, there was a job offer from them waiting for me in my inbox (which I turned down - but not until I used that job offer as leverage to secure a raise at my existing job).

I agree with you that for a McDonald's position you have to be a pest, sell yourself, seem upbeat and energetic, all that jazz. My point was there is no similarity between that and IBM, Apple, etc. In the latter examples, the company is selling itself to you, not the other way around.
Its cool.

I was simply using Apple and IBM as examples of big companies that are not McDonalds. I was not commenting on tech jobs specifically. I could have used Proctor & Gamble, Unilever, Marriott, etc.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:40 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
One major issue that was only mentioned once(I believe) on this very thread was commuting. Yeah there are jobs out there, but not too many people want to travel 20, 30 miles or so to get there, and everyone doesn't have a car. And yeah the alternative is to take the bus, but a lot of bus route schedules do not run on all hours. Time is part of an employer's decision making in the hiring process, so job seekers will have to keep that in mind.
Well, if they don't WANT to travel 20 or 30 miles to get to a job, then by all means, we should absolutely keep them on the dole and support them. Heaven forbid someone do something they don't WANT to do...

And, clearly, a person shouldn't have to buy a 500 dollar clunker of a car to get to and from work if they find the bus schedule not convenient to their travel desires. Yet another example of the rest of society clearly needing to express a desire to support this person and their preferences...

Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
... But seriously, how many people can this country sustain? What is the breaking point. We surely don't want our unemployment rate to be too high, because that could happen if our population gets too high with only little job creation.

There is no reasonable limit. The more people work, the more they spend which in turn encourages business to hire more people who then spend......etc, etc.

The key is to have more and more people increase their value via education, training and experience. That, and a free market, drives innovation and productivity improvement which enriches our society.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
One major issue that was only mentioned once(I believe) on this very thread was commuting. Yeah there are jobs out there, but not too many people want to travel 20, 30 miles or so to get there, .

Ah, the old commute excuse. When I was younger, I commuted 45 miles each way to my job so I could have a better job and it worked out quite well. If you live in NYC and many other cities, you will probably commute at least an hour each way.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Ah, the old commute excuse. When I was younger, I commuted 45 miles each way to my job so I could have a better job and it worked out quite well. If you live in NYC and many other cities, you will probably commute at least an hour each way.
But what if that job only paid minimum wage? What if the only jobs you can get pay minimum wage? Yes, you can be above it and say, well... that's on them, but you would be wrong. It's not on them. When there gets to be too many of 'them' it becomes everyone's problem.

H

Old 09-30-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is no reasonable limit. The more people work, the more they spend which in turn encourages business to hire more people who then spend......etc, etc.

The key is to have more and more people increase their value via education, training and experience. That, and a free market, drives innovation and productivity improvement which enriches our society.
Utter, total and complete [TOS Violation]. Would this thread even exist if what you are saying is true? Less than one percent of a large population like the U.S. are lazy schlubs that just want to scrounge off unemployment. Education has been increasing in cost at many, many times inflation and is now effectively out of reach of middle class Americans. A free market with borders might work in the way you say, but when U.S. employers can legally hire employees that don't even get paid in equivalent U.S. dollars. How can Americans compete? ASP programmers do not lay around on unemployment! Network Security experts with Cisco Certifications do not scam the government and get welfare for them and their 5 children and live off it forever. Triage nurses are not avoiding looking for work because they are afraid of actually finding a job that they don't want. Just how much do you imagine welfare pays people anyway? Do you really think its fun living on the pineapple? I have put thousands of dollars into each of my IT certifications. I am not working in IT. Nor am I collecting unemployment. The U.S. is not contributing one thin dime to my maintenance or upkeep. I am still on the hook for the loans for the tuition, however. My landlord still expects his rent on time. Its been 10 years since I left my job in NYC and I have not been replaced. They run ads all the time. The HR dept. sends my old supervisor resumes every week. His attitude is "I don't want anyone who would want to work here". I know exactly what is keeping those companies from hiring. Its because they all think only Jesus Christ himself is good enough for their skilled worker position(s). If they can't convince JC to come and take the position they will just browbeat the rest of workers in the department to put in 65 hour work weeks to keep things going. My company also cannot hire anymore H1B's. They are upset about this of course and the truth is, they just don't think any American is good enough... well... they think there are Americans good enough but they would have to pay over 100K and they'd rather not. An H1B will take 85K and they will as good or better... sort of... they may be good enough in 5 years, but while they get their language and communications skills up to speed and absorb the nuances of an American workplace they are not delivering optimal productivity. But the perception will be that they are. That's what it comes down to.

H

Old 09-30-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Also another reality is there are simply not enough jobs for everyone in this country. With 311 million people and over half of which are of working age, and take in that there are more people than jobs, you can pretty much have an idea of what it equals to. Mass immigration is making it worse, since America can't feed all of its citizen, let alone have to feed 12-20 million people who are not proper citizens. Other than people are mad at illegals for breaking the law by just being here in the first place, I think more people are mad because there are too many of them, and they fill these new comers are taking jobs that should be entitled for Americans only. According to economicists, there will always be an natural unemployment, which I think is around 3-5%. If that is true, then what I just said previously is moot. But seriously, how many people can this country sustain? What is the breaking point. We surely don't want our unemployment rate to be too high, because that could happen if our population gets too high with only little job creation.

This!!

Old 09-30-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
But what if that job only paid minimum wage? What if the only jobs you can get pay minimum wage? Yes, you can be above it and say, well... that's on them, but you would be wrong. It's not on them. When there gets to be too many of 'them' it becomes everyone's problem.

H

Yes, that is a problem. And our nanny state encourages "them" to become dependent on government.

We should educate students from a young age that they need to learn to take care of themselves. Almost everyone can become productive enough to earn way beyond the minimum wage.

"What if the only job you can get pays min wage?" Good question. I've been there. You work your butt off with two or three jobs and save enough money to get an education or develop a skill. Been there, done that, so I know it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies