Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:37 AM

608 posts, read 923,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The trade agreements that were going to make the world equal to the usa backfired. We are seeing our standards taken down to the 3rd world. People have to move to find jobs. See in the 1930's the people in the center of the country moved to the coasts for jobs. the reverse is happening. Its simple to under stand when you see company towns being started by the oil co. in those areas as oil finds happen. the problem will be when the workers find out that that right to work doesn't mean right to live.
I'll give you some credit for originality regarding your post, but as a man that's been employed for 13 years in the oilfield, I can only say that my life has been enhanced by it. In my line of work, which is thankfully union free, the best performing workers almost universaly get the best pay and the best positions. If you are in demand, you have no fear of losing your job. If you are mediocre, a better man may replace you. How much more fair do you want it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Self employed people get use to calling their own shots. Many employers feel they will not adapt well to being told what to do and when to do it. I read that some where when I was self employed and how it is that I just became less employable.
There is definitely something to that, but I was refering to something I heard from a recruiter, who pretty much said that employers in a certain field are of the opinion that self-employed consultants are simply UNemployed.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Actually it's worse than that.

Employees not only discriminate against unemployed, if you are a self-employed consultant, many employers consider you to be "unemployed" and refuse to consider you for even a contract position.

The way I see it, it isn't Obama who is trying to keep people permanently unemployed, it's companies with that policy.

Once again a blatantly misleading thread title that exists merely to bash Obama when the information in the article is 100 % to the contrary.
^^This.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/us...ed-status.html

No manager will be willing to interview those who are unemployed for fear of being sued.
Stop listening to republicans, and you'd be fine.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Lightbulb yes, new world order in the south-poverty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
There you go, the answer as to why the NLRB needs to be around. As Corp. make believe they are looking for american workers. They want to hire the lowest paid they can find and get as much productivity out of them. The older unemployed will have a salary history behind them and know the value of a days work. A new employee will not have that in their minds and will work as if in a sweat shop to keep the job.
Exactly.

self-employed is a separate issue. I teach college and students with advanced degrees cannot find work in NC, Tenn, or SC we wont even discuss MI...alot people from MI relocated here and drive cabs now.(SC has always been bad its a tourist state, kind of like Florida)

To the poster who works in N.D. oilfield good for you...NOT everyone is you. Plus I dont care if ND is blue or red state...it may as well be Antarctica. I could never move there.

Corporate and Acct'ng law protects corps. from EVER having any legal accountability. If a girl argues, or wears the wrong hairstyle to work, her boss at say Waldbaum's can fire her bcs there's no law protecting the worker. The NLRB and EEOC was initially a protection from that.

Obama knows its a "feel-good" law bcs Corps. themselves have always gotten awy with murder, and always will.

Dont know the answer but anyone who needs a white collar job- DO NOT move to the south unless you are an M.D., have your own practice, or are a college student, the prospects here are nil. And its been progressively worst the past 7 years.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Exactly.

self-employed is a separate issue. I teach college and students with advanced degrees cannot find work in NC, Tenn, or SC we wont even discuss MI...alot people from MI relocated here and drive cabs now.(SC has always been bad its a tourist state, kind of like Florida)

To the poster who works in N.D. oilfield good for you...NOT everyone is you. Plus I dont care if ND is blue or red state...it may as well be Antarctica. I could never move there.

Corporate and Acct'ng law protects corps. from EVER having any legal accountability. If a girl argues, or wears the wrong hairstyle to work, her boss at say Waldbaum's can fire her bcs there's no law protecting the worker. The NLRB and EEOC was initially a protection from that.

Obama knows its a "feel-good" law bcs Corps. themselves have always gotten awy with murder, and always will.

Dont know the answer but anyone who needs a white collar job- DO NOT move to the south unless you are an M.D., have your own practice, or are a college student, the prospects here are nil. And its been progressively worst the past 7 years.

Baloney. I could move ANYWHERE in the US and set up my IT Consulting business and get hired within a week. Corp-to-corp is where its at.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Dont worry about precious corporations being sued. Frivolous lawsuits get dumped every day by judges anyway.

Employment Law is the worst type of law to practice bcs MOST states are now "right to work" so workers , inherently have no rights to anything anyway, including paying into needed healthcare.

In 5 more years every red state will look like China.
Lol...all those "precious corporations" with 15 or more people?

The urge to bash big business is so intense that people just skip over the details to get to the bashing.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
The president signs a bill which "would prohibit employers from discriminating against job applicants because they are unemployed," and the conclusion you draw from this is that he wants to make it impossible for unemployed people to ever get jobs?

Are you serious, dude? Are you really this much of a fool? Just politically speaking, how does it benefit Obama to make it more difficult for the unemployed to get jobs? Do you honestly believe that this bill is intended to do that? Are you mentally disabled or just incredibly intellectually dishonest? I'm really stunned here. Seriously. Wow.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
If you are in demand, you have no fear of losing your job. If you are mediocre, a better man may replace you. How much more fair do you want it?
Don't you know that that's not what "fair" means? "Fair" means that the person who's held the job that they can't be fired from the longest gets the promotion, regardless of performance. "Fair" means that your pay scale is dependent on how long you've worked for the company, regardless of performance.

You guys and your weird definitions. Sheesh...

Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
The president signs a bill which "would prohibit employers from discriminating against job applicants because they are unemployed," and the conclusion you draw from this is that he wants to make it impossible for unemployed people to ever get jobs?

Are you serious, dude? Are you really this much of a fool? Just politically speaking, how does it benefit Obama to make it more difficult for the unemployed to get jobs? Do you honestly believe that this bill is intended to do that? Are you mentally disabled or just incredibly intellectually dishonest? I'm really stunned here. Seriously. Wow.
That's only because a republican politician said so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies