Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No "proposal" is a law. It simply states an idea based on existing evidence and reasoning against it. But if you happen to have the details, I would like to take a look at it.
I'm not claiming it is a law...not sure what you are trying to get at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm not claiming it is a law...not sure what you are trying to get at.
Asking for details you apparently have.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:46 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Actually it's worse than that.

Employees not only discriminate against unemployed, if you are a self-employed consultant, many employers consider you to be "unemployed" and refuse to consider you for even a contract position.

The way I see it, it isn't Obama who is trying to keep people permanently unemployed, it's companies with that policy.

Once again a blatantly misleading thread title that exists merely to bash Obama when the information in the article is 100 % to the contrary.
It gets even worse than this. I actually heard about someone who took a restaurant job for two years. No one would interview here for a professional job because she didn't have two years of professional experience. She was a laid off social worker. How stupid is that?

Part of me kind of supports this because something needs to be done to help the unemployed get back to work. Especially since many of them do WANT TO WORK. Many of these companies have insanely ridiculous policies about hiring them. Another part of me thinks this will lead to frivolous lawsuits. Like someone who sits around and eats Cheeto's for 99 weeks, doesn't go to school, or look for work suing because he or she wants to eat Cheeto's for another 99 weeks.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Asking for details you apparently have.
I've got the same details anyone else has, which is just what the news article quotes, which says it is targeted at companies with 15 employees or more.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I've got the same details anyone else has, which is just what the news article quotes, which says it is targeted at companies with 15 employees or more.
I thought you had something worth discussing.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I thought you had something worth discussing.
You are totally missing the point. Let me spell it out for you:

1.dreamofmonterey made the following comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Dont worry about precious corporations being sued. Frivolous lawsuits get dumped every day by judges anyway.

Employment Law is the worst type of law to practice bcs MOST states are now "right to work" so workers , inherently have no rights to anything anyway, including paying into needed healthcare.

In 5 more years every red state will look like China.
2.I replied pointing out the fact that the proposal on the table applies to companies with 15 or more employees, which is clearly not the same thing that dreamofmonterey was snarkily calling a "precious corporation."

3.You chime in and accuse me of "not knowing" or making up details when I am simply referring to the "15 or more employee" limit that the proposed legislation is targeting as quoted in the article posted.

Other than you not being able to follow a conversation where I point out that someone is making a faulty assumption based on the facts that have been presented, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
I'll give you some credit for originality regarding your post, but as a man that's been employed for 13 years in the oilfield, I can only say that my life has been enhanced by it. In my line of work, which is thankfully union free, the best performing workers almost universaly get the best pay and the best positions. If you are in demand, you have no fear of losing your job. If you are mediocre, a better man may replace you. How much more fair do you want it?
I am happy that you have done well. I guess that your company has given you a handbook which is better then any union contract. It should have the steps in it for termination. I am sure that it involves at least 4 steps. I am sure that you are able to talk to your supervisor if some unsafe action is around to be able to protect you and your fellow employees.

If this is true, you need to thank the union movement and the NLRB, If this is not true then you need to ask how come that you dont .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies