Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It seems we only have the father's word that this happened. Even The Blaze is smart enough to use words like "purportedly". Those of you calling for firing the teacher should think about "due process".
I wouldn't go as far as to fire the teacher--but I have met people in real life who would get offended by "bless you" and I do think it is ridiculous. The Jehovah's Witnesses don't say "bless you" either and I can't remember why. Whether you believe in Jehovah or no God at all, I don't care. I think people need to grow up and deal with the fact that people are just trying to be polite. I don't think anyone should be fired or have their grade lowered because of it, though. That's also ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Due process? The guy said he was doing it? Do you ever read links?
Yes, weisenheimer, I read the link. No, I do not watch videos. Here is what the link says:

To punish students who do, indeed, say “God bless you” after one of their classmates sneezes, he purportedly knocks 25 points off of their grade.

Here is what the teacher said:

“When you sneezed in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body. So they were saying, ‘god bless you’ for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, I said what you‘re doing doesn’t really make any sense anymore.”

And, of course, The Blaze has to slur the teacher:

Interestingly, a Twitter account registered to a “Steve Cuckovich,” with a bio that reads, “High school teacher, father of three w/two grandkids and one on the way,” sent two tweets to leftist intellectual Cornel West’s Twitter account in the past (West recently encouraged Days of Rage protesters to call for revolution):

There is no verification that the teacher takes points off a student's grade for saying "God Bless You", or "Bless You", or any other statement.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
"The Blaze", the new American media for common sense, for people who lack it.
What is your objection here?

The story did have a news report, the one who was objecting to the use of the term admitted it, even explained their reason why.

So I am a bit confused by your response?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:41 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,292,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
People once thought that a sneeze was the body trying to expel an evil spirit or demon. That's the origin of the phrase, as I understand it.
Yeah, but the Germans switched it to expelling jews.

Gersundheit?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:41 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It seems we only have the father's word that this happened. Even The Blaze is smart enough to use words like "purportedly". Those of you calling for firing the teacher should think about "due process".
The teacher admitted to it.

So I am confused.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:42 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,644,254 times
I say "Bless you", too lazy to add the extra sylable.
It appears the teacher warned the students that he would knock of 25 points and someone complained to the principle. THe Principle said, NO.. all is solved.. nothing to see here.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:05 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What is your objection here?

The story did have a news report, the one who was objecting to the use of the term admitted it, even explained their reason why.

So I am a bit confused by your response?
I'm sure you're. "The Blaze" and such stories wouldn't exist in vacuum. They simply need a vacuum to suck this all in and put it all where it belongs.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:06 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,834,826 times
For those who are claiming it is a simple matter of respect I ask: Is it respectful for students to speak out in a classroom without first getting the permission of the teacher?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,025,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
For those who are claiming it is a simple matter of respect I ask: Is it respectful for students to speak out in a classroom without first getting the permission of the teacher?
Even if you are going to go that ridiculous route,
what say you about the fact that the teacher deducted points from every student
and
that he also considered the sneeze itself an "interruption"?

For the record, kids have been saying "Bless you" or "God bless you" when their classmates sneeze for ages.
How long has truly disrespectful behavior been tolerated in a classroom?
(like kids swearing, refusing to cooperate discipline-wise, slumping their their seats and not participating, etc)

I've been a classroom teacher; I know for a fact that it is widespread now and is tolerated or dealt with very lightly.

How on earth can you call a sneeze and the polite, automatic response to it disrespectful??

Old 09-29-2011, 01:12 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
"The Blaze", the new American media for common sense, for people who lack it.
sorta like maybe, the Huffington Post...?? or maybe Salon?

If the story is true, even you would have to admit the teacher is jerk, but is it true, who knows? If the teacher admits to doing it, wouldn't you say he was wrong?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies