Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Not in an official way, but in practical census terms, yes it is. Even if your point obtained, the First Amendment not only guarantees freedom of speech it also prohibits impeding the free exercise of religion. You can not make a reasonable argument that the time it takes for someone to sneeze and another one to say 'Bless you' is an unreasonable disruption of classroom activity. This is anti-religious bigotry in bold letters. This teacher should be parking cars for a living.

its funny....to avoid religious persecution, we are persecuting religion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Let's try this again:
It's part of the culture.

Do you also object to our writing the year as 2011?
After all, that is 2,011 years since the birth of Christ.

How many Americans do you think write "2011" on their checks and think "Two thousand eleven years since the birth of Our Lord..."

Please.
Actually, today is 1 Tishrei in the year 5772. Silly westerners!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:00 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Nitpicking.

If in the middle of a classroom lecture, you accidentally sneezed or farted and said "excuse me", do you really think your teacher would object? Or would they appreciate your use of manners?

I'm in school now and students ask for clarifications all the time. They ask for these clarifications by saying "excuse me." That is interruption, technically, but it's with good cause. If the reason is to understand the lecture or to excuse slightly improper behavior or a bodily function of some sort, 99.9% of teachers excuse the interruption. In fact, most of them welcome it, cause they want to make sure the students are following what they're saying. The .1% are people like this teacher.
I'm not nitpicking. I'm just pointing out that all the facts are not known and yet people are leaping to conclusions based on a limited set of information. Having heard plenty of anecdotal stories, it is not hard for me to envision scenarios were students were being intentionally disruptive. Is that the case in this situation? I have no way of knowing.

I do know that this type of story feeds into the sense of Christian victimization that is being practiced by many people now a days.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:04 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Never, never, never, believe anything printed on Glenn Beck's rag "The Blaze" without checking it out.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm sure you're. "The Blaze" and such stories wouldn't exist in vacuum. They simply need a vacuum to suck this all in and put it all where it belongs.
Don't make idiot arguments and don't insult as if you had a clue about what you are talking about.

The story had a video.

The person in question specifically defended their position. That is, they admitted to having such a policy.

So, what is your response to that? Or is stupid ridiculous source attacking the only game you have?

Answer to the damn issue and stop responding with idiotic evasions.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
How absurd and arrogant of this teacher, who reportedly threatens to lower a student's academic grade if they say the traditional, generic "God Bless You" after someone sneezes in the classroom. Sounds like the principal is intervening to stop the form of punishment; but its unclear if it will still be censored or not.

"Steve Cuckovich, a health teacher at William C. Wood High School in Vacaville, California, has attempted to banish the friendly gesture, as he believes it is both disrespectful and disruptive. To punish students who do, indeed, say “God bless you” after one of their classmates sneezes, he purportedly knocks 25 points off of their grade."

California Teacher Lowers Students’ Grades for Saying God Bless You | Video | TheBlaze.com
Shuda said "Allah bless you"...then he woulda been ok.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Of course, you didn't read the link since you don't like the source. Attack that messenger and never know anything about the message. Remember to accuse me of that when I do it to something like the Al Times of New York.

That is what kills me about these extremely stupid responses.

I make a point to read their garbage spew and see if it is founded in any sort of fact. They on the other hand dismiss without even looking. I swear, liberals are the cesspool of the planet. They slander, libel, and outright lie about their positions and then like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand, ignore everything that does not spew its garbage. The more and more I see them speak, the more and more I am convinced they are either insane are subverts intending to dismount our government for their own personal goals.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"Steve Cuckovich, a health teacher at William C. Wood High School in Vacaville, California, has attempted to banish the friendly gesture, as he believes it is both disrespectful and disruptive. To punish students who do, indeed, say “God bless you” after one of their classmates sneezes, he purportedly knocks 25 points off of their grade."

California Teacher Lowers Students’ Grades for Saying God Bless You | Video | TheBlaze.com

Vacaville is literally a cowtown.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,841,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It seems we only have the father's word that this happened. Even The Blaze is smart enough to use words like "purportedly". Those of you calling for firing the teacher should think about "due process".
Appears we have more then the parents word for it.

How about the teacher admitting to it. Did you even read the link? A Northern California teacher says he doesn't want to hear a common courtesy in his classroom.
Cuckovich says the policy has nothing to do with religion, but says the phrase is just a outdated practice and disrupts class time.

That is on theblaze link along with this one

Maybe you'll read a link about it from an abc site

Teacher penalizes students for saying "bless you" | abc30.com

Old 09-29-2011, 03:18 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,841,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Never, never, never, believe anything printed on Glenn Beck's rag "The Blaze" without checking it out.
lol Yeah cause his site just lies

Here is a link from abc about the it.

Teacher penalizes students for saying "bless you" | abc30.com

Guess I can trust the blaze and actual videos posted on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies