Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:48 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As I said earlier, the telephone did the same thing yet we are still here, still see our friends and still have to meet eye-to-eye with our prospective employer...

I don't know of anyone who hires people over the Internet except maybe the Mexican drug cartel and politicians who need people to hand out flyers...
I agree, but getting to the interview stage (where you can have a quality personal exchange) is MUCH harder these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Here's some more food for thought. If the internet went away, that 20% of the workday (I made that figure up out of thin air, before anyone yells at me) that the average person wastes on it (either on a desktop in an office or on a netbook/tablet/smartphone) might be productive time instead, leading to a drop in necessary HC (headcount) / FTE (full-time equivalent).

So we'd increase our productivity, being able to do the same with fewer people, leading to higher unemployment.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I've had an observation about modern day unemployment.

How much higher would unemployment be today, if we did not have the modern era communication resources at our finger tips. How much more diminished would our ability to search for a job be, if we had to rely solely on word of mouth, or local newspapers and the monthly trade magazines?

Rapid communication has always been a productivity booster.

There is no doubt that putting more people in touch with more businesses benefits both.

There is no down side to improving communications.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Here's some more food for thought. If the internet went away, that 20% of the workday (I made that figure up out of thin air, before anyone yells at me) that the average person wastes on it (either on a desktop in an office or on a netbook/tablet/smartphone) might be productive time instead, leading to a drop in necessary HC (headcount) / FTE (full-time equivalent).

So we'd increase our productivity, being able to do the same with fewer people, leading to higher unemployment.

Maybe you weren't working a few decades ago when we had no office tools.... productivity today is light years ahead of then.... even with the wasted net surfing time.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:59 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Maybe you weren't working a few decades ago when we had no office tools.... productivity today is light years ahead of then.... even with the wasted net surfing time.
That's true, I got my first actual office job in 2004 at age 29.

Then again, did you receive 160 emails and hundreds of business IMs per day back then?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:27 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I agree.

Years ago truckers would run from coast at coast and have a hard time finding the loads to back haul. They would come home empty - just burning up fuel and suffering from any maintenance cost. The internet came along and everything was great (at first) - they went out to the opposite coast and found loads to pull home. That was in the beginning. However; eventually the competition drove the rates so low that it was better to come home empty than bring the freight 3000 miles. I think that it has stabilized somewhat today?

It is one thing to compete with just one or two other truckers for loads. It is another thing to compete with all of your competition at the same time. You have to have a very sharp pencil and know your equipment to make any money.

The same could probably be said for any business that the internet touches.
Something as powerful a tool as the internet is, would not go unused by an industry as fluid as the trucking industry.

Success Stories by Users of The Internet Truckstop

Old 09-29-2011, 06:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I've had an observation about modern day unemployment.

Back during the Great Depression, and even during the late '70s and early '80' unemployment figures were a bit higher, in some areas, then today. The difference is that today we have the internet. We have chat rooms, community sites, Monster.com, and even instant video conferencing. The tools we have today were not even imagined decades ago. Do we take them for granted now?

Just think of how much easier it is today, to find a job, then it was twenty of 80 years ago. We can join dozens of job employment web sites, and instantly find employers who are looking for people from all across the US, and overseas. Today, we can create truly professional looking resumes from our home computer and email them all across the world.

How much higher would unemployment be today, if we did not have the modern era communication resources at our finger tips. How much more diminished would our ability to search for a job be, if we had to rely solely on word of mouth, or local newspapers and the monthly trade magazines?
Not much higher. People who have been out of work for a while and looking for work generally cannot afford to move, and that's even more likely if they're tied to house.

And we did have "chat rooms" and Monster.com. It was called the unemployment office and you could go there even in the 1981 and look for jobs on their computer and through job listings posted on the walls and in giant books that had page after page of job listings updated weekly from all around the State and the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies