Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:08 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,028,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
If my bank does this then we'll either return to checkbooks or go back to cash only. Some of us lived many adult years before debit/ATM cards were invented. We'll adapt to that life once again.
True enough, although I recall that in the early 1970s my bank charged various fees including 1) failure to keep minimum balance; 2) a fee (a cent or two) for each check written (I recall that if I wrote a lot of checks during a month my fee may reach $1 or so). There were probably more fees but I can't recall what they were.

In short, I was quite pleased when it got to the point of 'free checking' and 'free atm' and 'free debit' etc.

I especially liked how I no longer had to purchase those American Express traveller's checks when going abroad (or even traveling within the country).

Anyway, $60 per year is not going to break me. I imagine most banks will follow suit at some point. Since I get direct deposit to my account, plus have various autodrafts in play, it would be too much of a hassle to try to move to another bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 06:14 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Exactly.

In fact, I don't know why anyone wouldn't do this instead of using a debit card in the first place.
Because some banks give cash back for using debit cards.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:53 AM

27,218 posts, read 46,796,264 times
[quote=mhouse2001;21089861]So it's the Democrats or liberals fault your bank is charging you $5 but there's not a peep about the profits they make with fractional banking and charging interest on loans? You buy a $150,000 house and pay $300,000 for it and that's OK? Tell me when enough is enough. Are we supposed to just let the banks run amok and charge 1,800% interest?

QUOTE]

You can pay cash for you house just like I did which means you pay what it cost...The bank is doing you a favor and they don't have to, they take the risk and can charge you whatever and you don't have to sign and buy the home...this is called the land of the free!

Yes it is Democrats fault! Dodd/Frank wanted the banks to loan money to lower incomes since it was their right to buy a home even if they couldn't afford it! This is the result from liberal decisions!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,123,888 times
Apparently the free money BofA got to loan us at high rates isn't enough for them. Greedy pigs. Personally, I feel that beating the crap out of the execs at BofA is the thing to do. I live in Charlotte and see their building every day. Meet them in the parking garage and smack them over the head with a tire iron. Who's with me???

(Just kidding (sorta). I don't condone violence)

Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,123,888 times
On another note, how many households have more than one debit card? My wife has one and I have one. Isn't that $10 a month?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,142,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I can't believe so many people are STILL with those banks that caused this fiasco.

Local banks and credit unions. I don't pay ANY fees and haven't for years.
Put your money where your mouth is..don't like those big banks then don't do business with them and don't give them your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Credit Union, only way to go. I laugh at people doing business with the banks, I stopped over twenty years ago when they started charging me to take my own money out of an ATM.
I've held my nose with BofA because I couldn't find a better alternative with branches everywhere. Now I'm unemployed. It seems you have to have an employer in order to get into a credit union. And I don't live near where I went to school. Any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You can pay cash for you house just like I did which means you pay what it cost...The bank is doing you a favor and they don't have to, they take the risk and can charge you whatever and you don't have to sign and buy the home...this is called the land of the free!

Yes it is Democrats fault! Dodd/Frank wanted the banks to loan money to lower incomes since it was their right to buy a home even if they couldn't afford it! This is the result from liberal decisions!
I don't blame the liberals on this one because I don't blame the mortgage disaster for the economic collapse. I blame the banks and their greedy 'instruments' to create money out of nothing.

By the way, I can buy a house for cash and have come real close to doing so. But most people cannot do this and end up paying twice what the house is worth. I believe in Muslim and other countries, there is no interest, no usury. It's morally wrong there but we can't get enough of it here.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:26 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
So it's the Democrats or liberals fault your bank is charging you $5 but there's not a peep about the profits they make with fractional banking and charging interest on loans? You buy a $150,000 house and pay $300,000 for it and that's OK? Tell me when enough is enough. Are we supposed to just let the banks run amok and charge 1,800% interest?

Yes. Government should not tell banks what they can charge. Banks should charge whatever they choose.

If you don't like it, go to a different bank. Or better yet, don't get a loan.

Banks that gouge customers eventually will go out of business.... or change their pricing.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:27 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,557,330 times
Remember, this is the same bank that pulled up American flags placed in front of their branch for a memorial for the return of a US Marine who died in combat. Their "branch manager" had pulled them up and said it was company policy not to fly any flags. This happened in 2009 and upset so many people that an entire county government pulled their money out of their bank along with many around the country. I was never with BofA and I never will be.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,768,953 times
Quote:
I believe in Muslim and other countries, there is no interest, no usury. It's morally wrong there but we can't get enough of it here.

If it's morally wrong, then don't get a loan or make a loan. You do have that choice here in the US.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,213,341 times
Quote:
I've held my nose with BofA because I couldn't find a better alternative with branches everywhere. Now I'm unemployed. It seems you have to have an employer in order to get into a credit union. And I don't live near where I went to school. Any advice?
Many credit unions offer memberships based on location (in a particular county, city, state, etc). Also, do any of your relatives and/or friends have a credit union membership? If so, you can qualify that way as well.

Just make sure that the credit union you join is a part of the CO-OP network. You'll have access to thousands of ATM's, banking locations, etc.

Maybe start off going here CO-OP Financial Services and seeing what credit unions are near you. Call them up/check their websites and see if they can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies