Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 08:30 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,336,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Horse crap! Males start producing fairly large amounts testosterone at about 2 months. This permanently hardwires their brain and causes certain parts of the male brain to outgrow their female counterparts. .
You've got the right idea.... now just extend it with a little more information from neurobiology and endocrinology:

Sexual hormones and the brain: an essential alliance for sexual identity and sexual orientation (2010)
Endocr Dev. 2010;17:22-35. Epub 2009 Nov 24. Garcia-Falgueras A, Swaab DF.

The fetal brain develops during the intrauterine period in the male direction through a direct action of testosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hormone surge. In this way, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb.

However, since sexual differentiation of the genitals takes place in the first two months of pregnancy and sexual differentiation of the brain starts in the second half of pregnancy, these two processes can be influenced independently, which may result in extreme cases in trans-sexuality. This also means that in the event of ambiguous sex at birth, the degree of masculinization of the genitals may not reflect the degree of masculinization of the brain.

There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender identity or sexual orientation.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 AM

913 posts, read 870,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
California, where else could this type of lunacy be allowed?

Read more: The California boy, 11, who is undergoing hormone blocking treatment | Mail Online

shameful! this is the story of two women picking a fight with the world they hate so much!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,289,277 times
This is child abuse of the highest order. The parents should be arrested and charged as such. This will damage the child for the rest of his life. There is no way an eight year old child can make this decision and there is no sane person who can believe that his "parents" didn't influence or push him into this mindset. I really don't care what homosexuals do to each other but they should not be allowed anywhere near children. The state has an interest here in the healthy development of the child and heeds to step in and stop this process before irreversable harm is done. Then laws ne to be re-enacted banning adoption by unfit individuals. Anyone who would allow or encourage this sort of practice is certainly unfit to be a parent. While I believe that the parents' sexual orientation was an influencing factor in this case, I would also feel that two heterosexual parents who allowed this to happen would also be unfit to be parents.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,428,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
This is child abuse of the highest order. The parents should be arrested and charged as such. This will damage the child for the rest of his life. There is no way an eight year old child can make this decision and there is no sane person who can believe that his "parents" didn't influence or push him into this mindset. I really don't care what homosexuals do to each other but they should not be allowed anywhere near children. The state has an interest here in the healthy development of the child and heeds to step in and stop this process before irreversable harm is done. Then laws ne to be re-enacted banning adoption by unfit individuals. Anyone who would allow or encourage this sort of practice is certainly unfit to be a parent. While I believe that the parents' sexual orientation was an influencing factor in this case, I would also feel that two heterosexual parents who allowed this to happen would also be unfit to be parents.
They're not forcing their 8-year-old child to make a decision. They are doing the only thing that allows their child more time so that a decision can be made later on. Try reading the article and watching the video.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:34 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,197,676 times
Nothing much to contribute...just glad I don't have this problem as a parent.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
shameful! this is the story of two women picking a fight with the world they hate so much!
And yet another poster who hasn't read the article or watched the video.
What a surprise. I should keep a tally.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:35 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,641,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Nope, I meant "she." Anyone who says from age 3 that they are a girl and tries to cut off their penis gets to be called "she". If she starts saying "I'm a boy" then I will start calling her "he". As it stands now, though, she wants to be seen as a female so I will respect her wishes, just as her parents are doing, and just as many people in this thread aren't doing.
Sorry, he is a "he". Nature decided that long before. Sometimes people just need to accept things for what they are and move along. You can call him a "she" all you want but he is definitely a he.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I think you mean the surgery "he" wants when "he" is older.

the bottom line is that this child is and can be influenced very easily and it is obvious that they are interfering with the natural flow and cycle of the human body at this point which is their decision. They are playing with a little boy's life here and that is just plain wrong.
Please read the article and watch the video.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,728,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Sorry, he is a "he". Nature decided that long before. Sometimes people just need to accept things for what they are and move along. You can call him a "she" all you want but he is definitely a he.
No, nature decided to give her a female brain and a male body. If you people stopped living in delusional black and white land, you would learn that not everyone fits into neat little male or female bundles.

Have you even ever heard of an intersex individual? Is that a he, or a she?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:44 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,276,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
And yet another poster who hasn't read the article or watched the video.
What a surprise. I should keep a tally.
Maybe the kid wants to be tall when he grows up.

Shouldn't it be determined now whether to begin growth hormone therapy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.