Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:29 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
I know a few people with Pit Bulls, and those dogs are very sweet. The owners have them well trained & properly care for them. While that is important with ANY dog, with a breed like a pit, it is even more so.
Obviously you cannot count on responsible people as the only ones allowed to acquire pitbulls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 12:31 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Obviously you cannot count on responsible people as the only ones allowed to acquire pitbulls.
or any breed of dog .... any breed of dog can and does bite......

Old 09-30-2011, 12:34 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
California-jewel, I like almost everything you said, except pit bulls are not aggressive. Many may be dog-aggressive, although the majority I've known are not, and obviously mine (2 females yet) are not. But dog aggression is in no way related to human aggression, and human aggression is actually very unusual in a pit bull. Those rare cases of human aggression are usually in unneutered male dogs who are kept chained outside or in unfit conditions, or trained by their owners to distrust other people.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,627 times
Perpetuating the "Myth" OR making a point?

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/298416_239838626066962_100001224785100_689233_6445 90107_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I own a pit bull and a pit mix. They don't have exeptionally strong jaws, (I'm assuming that's what you mean). I'm a smallish woman with arthritis in her hands and I can beat them at tug of war if I set my mind to it. I can pry my APBT's mouth open to give her medicine, just as I've done with other dogs. They're just dogs. If a Lab attacks someone, it's the exact same thing.
There is a direct relationship between the size of the head of an animal and its bite force. American Pit Bull Terriers have a bite force of about 235 pounds of force, or about double that of humans. A Rottweiler has a bite force of about 328 pounds of force. The largest domestic dog, an English Mastiff, has the largest bite force of 556 pounds of force. By comparison, a male lion has a bite force in excess of 900 pounds.

The media has a tendency not to report attacks by other breeds, particularly the popular family dogs like Golden Retrievers and Labradors. The media fixates on short-haired well-muscled dogs and lump them all into the same breed. More than a few people have misidentified my "Buddy" as a large APBT, even though he is a Boerboel (African Mastiff).

Old 09-30-2011, 12:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Our Treeing Walker Coonhound appears to be very passive.

He has killed over 100 cats/coons and is used to hunt bear.

You just can't tell.

He is laying by my feet right now.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:03 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,927 times
There is absolutely nothing that can be said that will convince me that a pitbull's aggressive demeanor is a result of nurture vs. nature. These dogs are genetically-designed fighters/ killers.

Yes, you might be one of the lucky owners of a sweet dog that has never bitten anyone (yet)...I'm not willing to take the chance to find out.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
There is absolutely nothing that can be said that will convince me that a pitbull's aggressive demeanor is a result of nurture vs. nature. These dogs are genetically-designed fighters/ killers.

Yes, you might be one of the lucky owners of a sweet dog that has never bitten anyone (yet)...I'm not willing to take the chance to find out.
Can you tell me how you arrived at your opinion?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:14 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The only dog that has seriously bitten and injured me was a golden retriever. I currently have one pit mix (A REAL pit, not those steroid induced giants that people try and pass off as pits) and she's the sweetest dog I've ever owned.

Breed bans accomplish nothing, especially considering most people couldn't point out a pit bull in a lineup.

Agreed.

Pit bulls are no more or less inclined to violence than any other breed if properly socialized and not abused.
I am very sorry that this woman was so badly injured, but, it is 100% the fault of the owner of these dogs who should be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
that poor woman.... but really, it could have been ANY breed of dog to do this..... it is the owner's responsibility and fault for not controlling and properly training his dogs.... again something necessary for ANY breed.....

so, here we go with the breed-bashing hysteria by people who know nothing of the breed, or likely even dogs in general.....

no, their jaws do not lock....

no, they don't just "snap" one day.... unless there is something wrong neurologically, like the BOXER my ex had.....

in the HUNDREDS of dogs i have worked with and transported for rescue, the only time i have been bitten was by a poodle mix.... came close with some schnauzers, too...

the pit bulls have ALWAYS been excellent passengers, not something i can say about some of the labs, goldens and other popular "friendly" breeds....

for all of you who think you know so much about this breed, i challenge you to this little test:

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

now be honest... how many tries did it take for you to find the actual pit bull??

Great post and an excellent link! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies