Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Everywhere the sun shines, there will be ozone. Where the sun does not shine for months on end, there will be no ozone. Even a third grade student should be able to grasp that fact.
NO. The stratosphere recirculates ozone across the globe (from the tropics to the poles). See:

Ozone Chapter 5

especially figure 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 10:57 AM

475 posts, read 814,338 times
Atlas publisher apologizes for Greenland ice error

Atlas publisher apologizes for Greenland ice error - Technology & Science - CBC News

The publisher of a well-known atlas has apologized for saying that 15 per cent of Greenland's permanent ice cover has had to be erased between 1999 and 2011.
"This was done without consulting the scientific community and was incorrect," said Harper Collins in a statement about the Times Comprehensive Atlas of the World, 13th edition, posted on its U.K. website Tuesday. "We apologize for this and will seek the advice of scientist on any future public statements."
The Times Atlas, updated regularly since 1895, describes itself as providing "the world’s most prestigious and authoritative atlases and maps today." A description of the latest edition says it includes coverage of environmental issues that reveals the extent of rising sea levels, disappearing islands and shrinking lakes.
Harper Collins said the atlas arrived at the erroneous Greenland statistic, which was highlighted in a press release, by comparing Greenland's ice cap between the 10th edition, published in 1999, and the newly published 13th edition of the atlas. The press release had said the area that had to be changed from white to green was roughly the size of the United Kingdom and Ireland combined.
Even though the error was reportedly generated from the map, the company insisted that it "[stands] by the accuracy of the maps in this and all other editions of The Times Atlas."
The Times Atlas has faced scathing criticism since the launch of the 13th edition from scientists who said the loss of ice from Greenland was greatly exaggerated.
Jeffrey Kargel, senior research scientist at the University of Arizona, called the maps "ridiculously off-base."
"I don't know how exactly the Times Atlas produced their results, but they are not scientific results," he said in a statement. Poul Christofferson, a glaciologist at the Scott Polar Research Institute at the University of Cambridge, said scientists from the institute were "extremely puzzled" by the Time Atlas's claim.
In a statement, he added that a comparison of recent satellite images of Greenland with the new map showed that "a sizeable portion of the area mapped as ice-free in the Atlas is clearly still ice-covered."
"We do not disagree with the statement that climate is changing and that the Greenland Ice Sheet is affected by this," he said. "It is, however, crucial to report climate change and its impact accurately and to back bold statements with concrete and correct evidence."
Graham Cogley, a professor of Geography at Trent University in Peterborough, Ont., said the Times Atlas's claim represents a retreat of Greenland's massive ice sheet at a rate of 1.5 per cent a year – a rate "at least 10 times faster than reality."
"It could easily be 20 times too fast and might well be 50 times too fast," he said in a statement.

The BS never stops! Al Gore controls the earth.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
No, but a person can.

Don't be a H-A-A-R-P-E-E!
Personipulate the jet stream, man.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I don't know... but usually when we get into the Fall/Winter season it gets colder... I find it ironic that global warming fanatics things the change in temperature is due to global warming... I guess you have people who... well.. yeah....

Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't know... but usually when we get into the Fall/Winter season it gets colder... I find it ironic that global warming fanatics things the change in temperature is due to global warming... I guess you have people who... well.. yeah....
I find it ironic that people have spent 9 pages arguing about climate change because OP is upset that it's in the MID 60s in October!

Open the windows and enjoy.

This is perfect football weather.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I find it ironic that people have spent 9 pages arguing about climate change because OP is upset that it's in the MID 60s in October!

Open the windows and enjoy.

This is perfect football weather.
Not any more. Apparently the majority of football teams are also complaining about Climate Change because most have built enclosed indoor stadiums in order to achieve a Static Climate.

Only a small handfull of REAL football teams continue to play in the elements, whatever they happen to be. The rest are a bunch of *******.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Mankind cannot change the climate.

Keep repeating until you BELIEVE!
Greg the difference between you or me at least for the present situation is I'm open to either side. There is too many unanswered questions and possibilities to come to any concrete conclusion.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Greg the difference between you or me at least for the present situation is I'm open to either side. There is too many unanswered questions and possibilities to come to any concrete conclusion.
Good attitude....You are an honest open minded skeptic, unlike many that have dug in their heels for a variety of reasons..

Some people who deny the existence of global warming claim they are skeptics, however skepticism denotes that they are "open minded". That is the complete opposite of what denialists do.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Greg the difference between you or me at least for the present situation is I'm open to either side. There is too many unanswered questions and possibilities to come to any anthracite conclusion.
Follow the jet stream, man.

Follow the jet stream.

It's like a bullwhip.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:16 AM

1 posts, read 630 times
Default Test, just a test

This site about famous poetry is really beautiful... I adore poetry.. Another website i look at a ton is i think called Poetry of the day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies