Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:29 AM

475 posts, read 814,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No link to this cut and paste...Against TOS.

warmlist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 07:39 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
"Climate change" is measured globally in fractions of a degree or degrees depending on the time span. It's minute number BUT small changes of a few degrees in the average global temperature may have some drastic effects. For example one of the hottest decades on record happened in the 30's. The claim is this last decade was the hottest however the difference between the two is "statistically insignificant".

What you are experiencing is local variables which can have wild swings yearly because it's much smaller sample size. My area has record rain fall nearly double the average and on pace to beat the all time record set in the 30's if I remember correctly. That doesn't mean the world has experienced record rain fall and it doesn't mean we will see see record rain fall next year either.
I am more inclined to vote for all of the above when it comes to climate change. I try to keep an open mind and I am not swayed by good old AL. Even if humans do not directly affected our climate to date; we are still multiplying and countries, that were third world, are now coming into their own.

Immediately after 9/11 I drove truck from PA to Florida and then over to Texas. It was the only time in recent history that all air traffic stopped. I wore polarized sunglasses due to a fishing accident that left my left eye dilated permanently. With my polarized sunglasses I thought that I saw a difference in our weather - I thought that I could actually see water vapor rising. This was not just in one area - I was traveling thousands of miles. I have looked and did find some data that backs up that there was a slight difference in our weather at that time. Bear in mind that world wide the other nations still had their planes in the air. Also keep in mind that we have never had one day that all fossil fuel consumption stopped - no trains, planes, cars, boats, or heat and electricity.

It has been shown that we can negatively impact our environment: The dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico, go fishing off of northern New Jersey and count the garbage barges dumping in the Atlantic, or the plastic that is floating in the Sargasso Sea. I would just rather take the position that the jury is still out.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:11 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
but mid-south is getting shorter summers
I'm one state over from you. Over the past 15 or so years we've gotten less frequencies of snow and more frequencies of ice storms. Below freezing overnights have dropped dramatically. I haven't needed to wear a heavy winter coat for nearly 10 years. If you just compare to last year, we didn't have cold air come in and actually stay until the first week of December. Is it global warming, I don't believe it so. But what we have done is increase the frequency of climate change compared to past history. So the current weather would have happened anyway, we just made it happen sooner.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:20 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,197,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
I'm one state over from you. Over the past 15 or so years we've gotten less frequencies of snow and more frequencies of ice storms. Below freezing overnights have dropped dramatically. I haven't needed to wear a heavy winter coat for nearly 10 years. If you just compare to last year, we didn't have cold air come in and actually stay until the first week of December. Is it global warming, I don't believe it so. But what we have done is increase the frequency of climate change compared to past history. So the current weather would have happened anyway, we just made it happen sooner.
Your going through the change of life , feeling warm and you call that science ?
I bet you get a million dollar grant for that factual observation.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:52 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
...and all on 0.006 deg C per year!

How do you think Al gore changed his net worth from 1 million in 2001 to 100 million in 2008 ?
You left out one - Global Warming causes Secondhand Smoke!

Source: Global Warming and Secondhand Smoke - Google Scholar

Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
Most of the south is recording their hottest summers on record. Texas is super hot with the worst drought on record with no relief in sight and fires everywhere. Vermont had a hurricane this year and as the Governor of Vermont said they just don't get hurricanes. Massive flooding in NJ and PA. Super tornadoes earlier this spring. Oh sure, it's business as usual and Al Gore is scheming to get rich. No climate change going on here and I see all the holes in the sand are full.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:17 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
just curious. I dont follow the partisan issues on this particular topic, but mid-south is getting shorter summers...any explanations from scientists???

Its already chilly in S tennessee.
obama just said that it's hotter?

He wouldn't just say something that wasn't true, would he?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:23 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Actually Vermont didn't have a hurricane but rather the remnants of a tropical storm. The rainfall was likened to Hurricane Agnes in 1972 which also reached into New England.

New England receiving the remnants of tropical storms is not unusual.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:48 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Make up your mind.. Is it global warming, global cooling or climate change? I have been listening to this since the late 60's. It must be nice to be able to change the name to meet your goal. There are records of global climate changes since time began. Ever heard of a thing called the ice age??

Old 10-01-2011, 09:21 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Very few people, if any deny climate change per se.

Where the controversy comes in is two pronged:

1) is this round of change man made or just part of the naturally occurring and documented cycle?

2) what, if anything, should be done to try to slow the occurring change, no matter the cause?

As a note, and I will be slammed for saying this, 40 years ago many reputable climatologists were warning of the coming Ice Age.

We're now in a warm inter-glacial period, something that has also been documented.
Lovely, so higher heat bills..It was 64 today- that is NOT good- I am not at an elevation. 5 yrs ago it was summer wear until early November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies