Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:53 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
If it were a Christian based public school the ACLU would be on this like white on rice.
Yeah, I'd like to see them try and open the "New Christian Patriot School".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 12:53 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Default Islamic buildings found in Europe!

Oh, they've been there for centuries. Pardon me! Long live the know-nothings!

For example:

Seville, Spain:
Giralda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cordoba, Spain:
Mezquita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prizren, Kosovo:
Prizren, Kosova on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/amiripz/140199681/ - broken link)
Prizren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia:
Qolsharif Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tatarstan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 AM

320 posts, read 296,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
This has been mentioned earlier, but I am not surprised people think "Arab" is a religion. Explains a lot about current happenings in America.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:26 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
As someone else is pointing out, that is not the equivalent.

The equivalent would be something like "The Blarney School of European Studies".

I'd love to see something like that, especially at the taxpayer's expense.
There is a LARGE Irish population in Woodside, NY (Queens). Why isn't there a publicly funded school there for Irish/European folks? (like I have to ask)

~T

Old 08-22-2007, 02:50 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I agree with TRIMT7, theres no need to get your panties in a bunch. This would be different of course if it was a school that taught extremism, but that wont be the case. If the school teaches American english, American history and teaches its pupils to obey the laws and government then I have no problem with it.
Then why not allow vouchers so kids are allowed to go to catholic schools? It's a complete double standard. Because they are repressed dosen't mean they are allowed to build a religious school with taxpayer money.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:36 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Then why not allow vouchers so kids are allowed to go to...
Pardon the interruption, but why not provide vouchers to fully fund parental choice for ALL types of schools without preferential treatment? Atheist, Catholic, Muslim, Hindu, Artistic, Freaks, Dorks, Geeks, Right-wing Christians, Left-wing Christians, Secular Humanists, I DON'T CARE! The government has no right to dictate how children are educated. Can anyone quote anything in the US Constitution telling us that we must all conform to public schools in their current form? I sure hope not, because I've always thought of the US Constitution as a fairly intelligent document, thus I don't think it could give rise to something as problematic as our public school system.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:56 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Pardon the interruption, but why not provide vouchers to fully fund parental choice for ALL types of schools without preferential treatment? Atheist, Catholic, Muslim, Hindu, Artistic, Freaks, Dorks, Geeks, Right-wing Christians, Left-wing Christians, Secular Humanists, I DON'T CARE! The government has no right to dictate how children are educated. Can anyone quote anything in the US Constitution telling us that we must all conform to public schools in their current form? I sure hope not, because I've always thought of the US Constitution as a fairly intelligent document, thus I don't think it could give rise to something as problematic as our public school system.
It was just an example, but I agree. But it should be an All-or-nothing, either fund all schools, or don't fund anything but public.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:17 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Oh, they've been there for centuries. Pardon me! Long live the know-nothings!

For example:

Seville, Spain:
Giralda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cordoba, Spain:
Mezquita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prizren, Kosovo:
Prizren, Kosova on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/amiripz/140199681/ - broken link)
Prizren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia:
Qolsharif Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tatarstan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is your point???

That Muslims conquered thier way into Europe and were conquered back out???

And now, much like Mexicans to the United States have found a new way of conquering that doesn't require war???............................................ .................................................. ................................. yet............................................... ...................

Not trying to get all Pat Buchanon on everyone, but there are definately parallels.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:43 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
It was just an example, but I agree. But it should be an All-or-nothing, either fund all schools, or don't fund anything but public.
Agreed.

So is it true that the ACLU is defending Muslim schools while attacking Christian schools, or has this been taken out of context by someone who hates the ACLU?

If they're actually being as fork-tongued as is implied by this thread, then I will join the ACLU haters. It would be truly sick to be that hypocritical but I'm smell a rat somewhere in this story. And I'm too lazy to look for the rat. That's why my house stinks. (Hmmm.... I think I forgot to take my medicine this morning, I'm not making any sense!)

Old 08-23-2007, 10:08 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
As someone else is pointing out, that is not the equivalent.

The equivalent would be something like "The Blarney School of European Studies".

I'd love to see something like that, especially at the taxpayer's expense.
There is a LARGE Irish population in Woodside, NY (Queens). Why isn't there a publicly funded school there for Irish/European folks? (like I have to ask)

~T
This is an excellent point! Is there precedent set anywhere else in the US where an ethnic or cultural group currently gets public funding to segregate themselves?

Charter schools that I am familiar with are set up for specific purposes like for kids who are at-risk and wouldn't graduate otherwise or for kids whose parents want an alternative to PS.

In PS, there are ESL (English as a Second Language) classes set up for non-English speaking students, but I've never seen a Spanish Public School-- though I live in an area with a large hispanic population. The closest I've actually seen are the Migratory Student programs set up in some farming communities. Even then, students are not isolated. It is more of a resource program for the kids who aren't fluent in English and may be behind in school due to their transient lifestyles.

Like another poster said: Why not just have Arabic classes that anyone can take like the Spanish, French, German and Latin classes that are offered at many public schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies