Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:39 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

A Sex Difference in the Human Brain and its Relation to Transsexuality.

By J.-N. Zhou, M.A. Hofman, L.J. Gooren and D.F. Swaab
© NATURE, 378: 68-70 (1995)
Transsexuals have the strong feeling, often from childhood onwards, of having been born the wrong sex. The possible psychogenic or biological etiology of transsexuality has been the subject of debate for many years [1,2]. Here we show that the volume of the central subdivision of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (BSTc), a brain area that is essential for sexual behaviour [3,4], is larger in men than in women. A female-sized BSTc was found in male-to-female transsexuals. The size of the BSTc was not influenced by sex hormones in adulthood and was independent of sexual orientation. Our study is the first to show a female brain structure in genetically male transsexuals and supports the hypothesis that gender identity develops as a result of an interaction between the developing brain and sex hormones [5,6].

Investigation of genetics, gonads, genitalia or hormone level of transsexuals has not, so far, produced any results that explain their status [1,2]. In experimental animals, however, the same gonadal hormones that prenatally determine the morphology of the genitalia also influence the morphology and function of the brain in experimental animals in a sexually dimorphic fashion [6,7]. This led to the hypothesis that sexual differentiation of the brain in transsexuals might not have followed the line of sexual differentiation of the body as a whole. In the past few years, several anatomical differences in relation to sex and sexual orientation have been observed in the human hypothalamus (see [6] for a review), but so far no neuroanatomical investigations have been made in relation to the expression of cross-gender identity (transsexuality).

TGmeds

Here's just one article that points to transsexuality being a result of the hormones in utero affecting both the brain and the gonads, but affecting each one to a different degree, and thus leading to a mismatch in gender identity and organ makeup.

There are tons of other articles online that I can't access cause I use a screen reader. (This is the only one I could find in a format I can read.) Feel free to do some research yourself.
Experimental animals huh.

People please we do not know what is in that flue shot.

I've not looked into trans. I did research on bi

Bisexual Species: Unorthodox Sex in the Animal Kingdom - Scientific American - RichardDawkins.net

Put 'em in the military and let 'em go toe to toe and see how they hang. My bet, there will be many law suits and complaints of being, 'picked on'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 11:00 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What a shock. I guess wearing heels to your first day of bootcamp will now be in vogue.

"The Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), which pushed to end the military’s gay ban, is urging President Obama to sign an executive order prohibiting discrimination based on “gender identity.”

After demise of 'don't ask,' activists call for end to military ban on transgenders - Washington Times
They should at least try out a unit/platoon of volunteer transgender soldiers. Send them to Iraq, Afghanistan or elsewhere in the middle east where are soldiers are at.

Can you imagine how this would enrage conservative Muslims ??? This is why that Hypocrite Obama discriminates against the LBGT when he meets with the Muslim community in the Whitehouse, he never invites them when he meets with Muslim groups only when he meets with Cristian groups. What a f'n HYPOCRITE Obama is.

I say let them try it in a TG fighting force and see how this plays out. If you have an all transgender fighting force they won't be able to claim discrimination in their own fighting group. Heck you can have that Chaz Bono thing as their leader.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:07 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Don't transgender folks have to take hormones to maintain the new gender? That alone would disqualify them from military service. You can be disqualified for the most mundane of medical conditions because you may require medical care on a regular basis that may or may not be available in combat operations. The military is looking for mentally well-adjusted, physically fit, and medically fit to serve. The need to take hormones on a regular basis would indeed get them disqualified at MEPS.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I guess they'll just be Colonel X or Sergeant Y or Lieutenant Z. But like you said, they would have to be wearing their ID's at all times since there's no generic gender-neutral term of respect in English.
Yes, sir! Male symbol on lapel. (Mars) Circle with arrow pointing outward.

Yes, her! Female symbol on lapel. (Venus) Circle with cross pointing outward.

Yes, sir sir! Double Male (Two arrows) Circle with two arrows pointing outward. Or, on pointing outward and one pointing inward.

Yes, her her! Double Female (Two crosses) Circle with two crosses pointing outward. Or, I dunno.

Yes, sir her! Tranny - Female to Male (Circle with cross pointing inward and arrow pointing outward) Or, any combination of both pointing inward or outward.

Yes, her sir! Tranny - Male to Female (Circle with cross pointing outward and arrow pointing inward) Or, any combination of both pointing inward or outward.

Best I can do on short notice.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:22 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
So long as they can meet the standard, then they are physically fit for duty.

And if somebody in power really gets themselves worked into a tizzy, feeling as if the force is somehow being emasculated, then just go an increase all of the physical fitness standardized tests by at least 30 to 40 percent. They are too damn low as it is, for the most part. Couldn't hurt to increase the height of the bar across the board anyway. Maybe if they do that, then they won't feel as if anything is being compromised.

Just throwing this out there as a random sort of question because I am bored today. Was just curious to hear some viewpoints from those who have a more active interest in the military.

My question is not specifically related to transgender, but since I had briefly broached the issue of raising the physical fitness standards in my prior comment (quoted above), I figured I would follow-up by asking if any former military guys here would have a problem with setting equal physical fitness standards for both men and women (whereas the greater standard would apply - not vice-versa... meaning the women would be expected to meet the male standard).

Being an athlete, I understand quite well what that would entail, and it would certainly be a challenge for women. However, given that physical fitness [and good health] is generally considered an integral bona fide military requirement (even though not all ratings/MOS's require exceptional fitness - the fitness is still ostensibly expected of all service members under the same sort of rational that the Marines have about how every Marine should be a rifleman, even if his job doesn't demand that daily), I think women should have to meet an equal standard.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 10-03-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 03:27 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
I've always felt that. Same as with police and firefighters. I had to do what I think it was 42 pushups and 60 situps in two minutes and they had to do like 20/40 or something along those lines. Can't remember what the run times were for the two miles. If you can cut the mustard then your in. Simple stuff until politics gets involved. Look at Richard Gere. He coulda set the course record but had to go back and help that one over the wall. lol

As for cops heck I don't think they even have to pass a physical test after getting in. Half the guys in my town roll themselves outta the car on the way to the quik trip for some "fuel".

Old 10-03-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Just throwing this out there as a random sort of question because I am bored today. Was just curious to hear some viewpoints from those who have a more active interest in the military.

My question is not specifically related to transgender, but since I had briefly broached the issue of raising the physical fitness standards in my prior comment (quoted above), I figured I would follow-up by asking if any former military guys here would have a problem with setting equal physical fitness standards for both men and women (whereas the greater standard would apply - not vice-versa... meaning the women would be expected to meet the male standard).

Being an athlete, I understand quite well what that would entail, and it would certainly be a challenge for women. However, given that physical fitness [and good health] is generally considered an integral bona fide military requirement (even though not all ratings/MOS's require exceptional fitness - the fitness is still ostensibly expected of all service members under the same sort of rational that the Marines have about how every Marine should be a rifleman, even if his job doesn't demand that daily), I think women should have to meet an equal standard.
As a former female Marine, yes, I think that the gender norming for physical fitness standards should be eliminated. Most of the female Marines I knew and ever knew felt this was an embarrassment and actually made it that much harder for us to earn the respect of our fellow Marines.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM

760 posts, read 685,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Don't transgender folks have to take hormones to maintain the new gender? That alone would disqualify them from military service. You can be disqualified for the most mundane of medical conditions because you may require medical care on a regular basis that may or may not be available in combat operations. The military is looking for mentally well-adjusted, physically fit, and medically fit to serve. The need to take hormones on a regular basis would indeed get them disqualified at MEPS.
There's a waiver for everything.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Now calls for ending ban on transgenders in the military emerge
Does this mean Marcus Bachmann will be joining the military?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
There's a waiver for everything.
Guess that depends on which branch of service because those waivers are pretty hard to come by in the Marine Corps, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies