Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Wall St. protesters?
Yes 157 51.48%
No 148 48.52%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:51 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
Politicians and bankers made poor decisions with the publics tax money. That is acceptable though, no accountablity? Corporations putting profit over the health and well being of the population, and the future of the planet does'nt matter?
No one said or claimed they had the answers, they want to bring to the publics attention, the problems that have been building and festering in this country for a long time, and at some point I don't care what you have a degree in, your job and your future will not be secure.
No job is secure when it can be outsourced to another country.
The apathy and division in this country just astounds me.There is no future if we keep up on this path.I don't even know what to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Actually the tea party in Boston Harbor was a bunch of drunkards dressed up and out to blow off some feelings. Yes, they dumped tea in the harbor. They also acosted and injured the crew of the ship who while they were showing their discontent. Mostly in their time, they were seen as rabble rousers who weren't dealing with issures.

Personally I wouldn't call myself a tea party person even if I agreed with their goals since the origionals mostly wanted to blow of alchol generated steam.

If you talk about the intent of those who chose to sacrifice their time and sometimes more tangable things to resist Parliment's laws (and the king did not make them, the Parliment did) then I agree. These were often people of modest means who were able to see beyond the current world they lived in. The leadership was largely upper class, but the boots on the ground were not. Out of the mix in time we got today, where we have recognized that a nation is made up of all, not just those who have land and are male and upperclass.

I'd say that in their own ways, both (at the base) repersent something of this, but in terms of the real change needed the Occupy Wallstreet people come closer. Did the believers who went to fight for their own freedom get everything they wanted? No, but they still won by persuing a *new* idea.
I can respond to both of you with the same question. Okay, you're unhappy, we get that. So, what do you want to do about it? Destroy our very system? Because, let's face it, we have the best one around. Change the current leadership? All for it. This is my ultimate issue with this "movement". No goals, just complaints. Our Founding Fathers had goals. They wanted to move away from an oppressive government and structured one that would allow us to have a free and democratic republic.

I can suggest an answer...you want politicians to stop overreaching? Vote for strict Constitutionalists, ones that do not abuse Interstate Commerce. Vote for politicians that return power to the states, as our Founding Fathers invisioned. I can tell you one thing, you won't get there with more Federal Government power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 02:58 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Oh and let me add one more thing. How many of these people have actually gone down to their duly elected representatives offices and actually spoken to their representative or gone to DC to speak to him or even sent him/her an email? When I was in DC, I made an appointment and went to my Representatives' office and had a wonderful chat with mine; even on issues that where I disagreed with him. He was more than happy to listen to one of his constituents. We complain our elected representatives don't listen to us but how many are actually trying to actively engage their representatives?

Old 10-08-2011, 03:17 AM

1,081 posts, read 915,934 times
I would have liked to have seen a police dog leaping out the back window...

Old 10-08-2011, 03:26 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,423 times
Mayhap this be O's response?

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/leftynot/ow.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-08-2011, 03:30 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
"God bless them,†Pelosi said, “for their spontaneity. It’s independent … it’s young, it’s spontaneous, and it’s focused. And it’s going to be effective.â€
Well, I suppose it was "spontaneous."

Old 10-08-2011, 04:44 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Isn't this interesting? Today's Tea Party sides with the Republicans, which is not in tuned with the people. It's more of keeping the status quo of the plutocracy and establishment.
Wow, I had no idea the original Tea Partiers threw Tea into Boston Harbor so the king would give them free college education, houses and all sorts of fabulous stuff. Who knew?

Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Isn't this interesting? Today's Tea Party sides with the Republicans, which is not in tuned with the people. It's more of keeping the status quo of the plutocracy and establishment.

Quote:
Isn't this interesting?
No.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
Their GA made an announcement a couple of days ago. They stated their position quite clearly.It was broadcast on Wednesday night. I do not know how to post a link, but Keith Olbermann read it on his show.I am sure it can be googled.
Keith Olbermann? There's enough fail right there to ignore this or any post that you make on this forum.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:19 AM

545 posts, read 400,271 times

Smelly: Trash builds up at the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations

Pile: The rubbish has been building up in Zuccotti Park for days now

Just some more stuff from the link in the OP....

its odd really...the Tea Party is nowhere need this sickening yet they are treated as if they are the scum of the earth...it took very little, in-fact stuff had to be made up to attack the Tea Party as crazy evil right wingers or something...and yet despite all of this the Occupy Wall Street protesters are still tolerated and given the benefit of the doubt, and "well, we need to now more about them, we can't jump to conclusions"......if only they extended that same curtsey to the Tea Party, I might believe they a were genuine and not partisan hacks..

a few posters in this thread considered the act of a grown man defecating on the car in public "hilarious"...if there was ever a defining moment that sum up the difference between the left and the right is this...Tea Party protesters are respectfully, peaceful and clean...Occupy wall street protesters are, well this:

and before anyone says "well how do you know they are liberals?"....they're sure the hell not right wing conservatives, they tend to clean up behind themselves :

now, I am not saying the tea parties can't get a little crazy....but will always seem mild to taking a sh*t on a car in public....good job libs..

and yet these people will never be demonized and vilified the way the Tea Party is despite this bizarre and twisted behavior...hell, some have already excused and dismiss it..."you're just a prude"....."what's the big deal?..I think its funny!!"....this shows how sick and upside down this became....imagine that!...you're a prudish for being disgusted at a grown man taking a sh*t on a car!!..."you're just not hip to young people and can't find this "hilarious".....its YOU who are the odd ones in this for not "getting it".....disturbing.

"yeah man, like get the one percent man, like the....man, you just got to see the truth man"....

do we need financial and wall street reform?...you damn right we do...but I don't think those who spent 200k on a sociology major and mad that no one wants to hire them who are down at the protest care about that....they're just mad they went into massive debt getting "enlighten" and have nothing to show for it so of course it must be the 1 percent fault...what else could it be?...My degree in Art history is obviously beneficial to the world market...if they didn't "horde" all the money it would be more for me....obviously...

a few days ago a few libs here on C-D said they were "proud" of these people....I wonder are they still "proud"...?...it wouldn't surprise me if they were....

all the while, the Tea Party has been labeled as crazy, fanatical, fringe, even terrorist by the establishment and elites...and here we are with the Wall Street protesters as crazy as ever with the support and encouragement of the establishment:

Nancy Pelosi: ‘God bless’ Wall Street protesters:

“God bless them for their spontaneity,” Pelosi told reporters. “It’s young, it’s spontaneous, it’s focused and it’s going to be effective.”

so what do we have?...the Tea party are crazy and extreme with virtually no evidence to back it up while taking a sh*t on a car and leaving massive trash behind is viewed as "focused" and "effective"..remember, even a few libs here on C-D are "proud" of these people....I would say insanity is the new sane, but its always been that way with the left..

again, I am not saying the Tea Party can't get a little off the wall, but the wall street protesters, even though they haven't been around as long as the Tea Party they already have them beat by miles for anything crazy..

Last edited by EricGold; 10-08-2011 at 05:57 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 05:33 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
The present political environment is rotting fast. Those in politics should be fearfull of our anger with all of them. But this reaction is just too "primal" for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies