Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Wall St. protesters?
Yes 157 51.48%
No 148 48.52%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
How hard could Cain's life have been? He had a dad who was willing to work three jobs to support his kids!

There are probably a lot of dads like that.......problem is, nowadays, there aren't enough jobs out there for some people to have three, or two, or even one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Or their companies went overseas. yep its all the workers fault. Cain is an idiot. Lets hope for American workers sake that cain does not win the nomination.
If you are a hard worker and provide value, the market will take care of you.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
How hard could Cain's life have been? He had a dad who was willing to work three jobs to support his kids!

I don't know. Those Jim Crow laws and separate water fountains and lunch counters sound kind of "special" to me.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Herman is correct, but only in an academic sense.

IOW, his idea doesn't actually work in the real world.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
An Open Letter to the Self-Proclaimed ’99%’

30K in student loans and $30K in credit card debt for a BA in Theatre?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
If you are a hard worker and provide value, the market will take care of you.
A more viscious lie has never been told.

Leaving things to the market when things are going well is always a good idea.

Leaving things to the market alone when things are NOT going well is inexcusable folly.

WWJD?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Me? Despite my very high level of education and qualifications (trust me on this), I was unemployed and underemployed for most of the past decade. Why? I chose a field that had very few opportunities, I didn't go into something else when I could or should have, and the economy tanked. What did I do? At first I went into a deep, deep depression, got out of it and worked on and off the grid (hustled) to survive. And when I got a job, and got another one, I held on to both of them and continue to work two jobs now. I took responsibility for myself, because I had to. But I'm not sitting here being sanctimonious and blaming others for their misfortunes who maybe are as intelligent as I am (or more), or as hard-working as I am (or more), who have not been able to find work and who have lost jobs and lives because of it. Because in a Darwinian society such as ours, luck is as important as hard work. Just because you work hard and do the right thing doesn't mean you'll succeed. I've seen that firsthand. And that's what the Herman Cains of this world don't understand, and that is why a man like him, who would otherwise have my respect, does not have my respect.

We have all failed. For the most affluent country in the world to have this high a rate of unemployment and lack of access to healthcare is unconscionable.

And you cannot say that the double whammy of corporate outsourcing and influx of H1Bs to do work that Americans should be doing is not also a factor.

Democrats have passed Nafta and lost jobs to Mexico..

American people loved to buy foreign cars... I never owned one. Many Americans created jobs for the Japanese over the years.

The democrats don't care if the illegals suck the system dry with free health care or pushing up property taxes for educating the illegals..

democrats don't get it.. there is no birth right here and no value to being an American citizen today. We are second class citizens because all those who come over here and set up a business get tax breaks which Americans don't get from their own government.

Our president nullifies the word illegal and sues the states for trying to enforce the laws of illegal immigration which is draining their states dry and taking away the safety of Americans.

20% of the workers who built homes during the building boom were illegals.

No one addresses the issues . We will continue going broke..

50% of the growth rate of the last 10 years according to the 2010 census are Hispanic and we know illegals have many babies who are now American citizens so they get the perks here that the government hands to them.

It is no longer the United States of Americans.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:35 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
I like this one. Deep in debt, barely make rent, hard to find work, no health insurance.... let's have a baby!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Here we see the sick mentality of the left.
A person comes out and endorses personal responsibility .The left attacks taking personal responsibility.
The country is going to hell because people will not take personal responsibility, its the riches fault, its the poors fault, it the white mans fault, it is the black mans and of course the ultimate blame its is Bushes but never accept personal responisbilty if you are on the left . the left wants to blame others for every problem, blame someone else be a victim, do not take responsibility for your own actions.
part of the country is going to hell because the left wants to blame everyone for thre failure of an individual.
So let one consvertavive black man speak the truth and its his fault.
Personal responsibility for what?
For the mergers and off-shoring that decimated the job market?

It's easy for Cain and others of his ilk to talk. Employees are just faceless numbers to these people.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:36 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post

It's so horrible when our stupid decisions affect our lives...isn't it? I'm about to get out of Grad School with $25 k in loans....maybe I should take a picture and hope someone forgives my loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies