Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Wall St. protesters?
Yes 157 51.48%
No 148 48.52%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:00 PM

674 posts, read 698,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
There's not enough large-boobed black women in my bed. I believe Affirmative Action needs to intervine and correct the situation.

I'll be patiently awaiting
LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Young, white, liberal, and clueless. They must be racist Klan members.
Since Wall St CEO's are 99.9999999999999999% white, I'm not feeling Maklin or your angst over white folks protesting white folks.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:14 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well how effing stupid of her and ANYONE who believes her.

A. DUH! ANYONE is FREE to go and protest.

B. It is NOT a club, there are no rules, it is NOT a political party , it is not an organization......Repeating for the DENSE....ANYONE is FREE to attend!
For some reason, you didn't have the same opinion of the Tea Party. Weren't you the one always looking for people of color in the TP protests?

Quote:
It is in fact a tiny, self-selected group of self-righteous, mostly middle-class activists who have failed to win over large sections of the American public to their “cause” – which isn’t surprising when you consider that on the rare occasion that these trendy banker-bashers talk about the American public, they do so with a metaphorical peg on their snouts.
The Left has taken the lesson of WI and brought it to WS....to get their noses rubbed in their own feces again.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
If the only skill you have is basketweaving, then why should a company that doesn't do basketweaving hire you?
I'm not talking about myself. I'm talking about a lot of others who have been working in a certain field or at least have training/experience in a certain field. Then, when they lose jobs and there are no others, what are they supposed to do?

I thought you had a bit more insight, bro.

Quote:
Student loans are through the federal government and most to to unemployed people.
Actually, at some schools, especially at the graduate level, student loans are privately administered.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:20 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How relevant is that?

I believe along with you that people have to take responsibility for their own lives.
That's the relevance and the point Cain was making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But I remember when the banks were being bailed out, and the housing bubble burst, and banks and finance companies were still paying these enormous bonuses out. Bonuses that evidently weren't performance-related, since these banks certainly weren't performing well, but were part of the banking "culture". I remember when one of the banks, Wells Fargo-I think, was sending its executives to posh resorts with their families for seminars, and the expense was defended, as part of the "culture" of banking.

They do have a culture, where high salaries and large bonuses are the norm, where families go on all-expense paid vacations to exclusive resorts, where the bank rewards risky behavior, and pushes ahead on foreclosures, some of which aren't even legal.

And I think it's that culture, more than anything, that these protesters are hoping to impact. Banks shouldn't be immune from the effects of their own risk-taking. They shouldn't be passing on their losses, while spending money in a profligate manner.

This protest, from what I've seen and read, is about accountability and a system where accountability has been successfully thwarted, at a cost to the rest of the nation.
Many of the bonuses are stipulated by contract and the bank would likely be sued if they didn't honor them.

I will certainly agree that the banks made some decisions that are ugly; I'm not a fan of any of the big banks.

Regarding the protest, I haven't seen a coherent message about the purpose to make a judgement on it.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
There's not enough large-boobed black women in my bed. I believe Affirmative Action needs to intervine and correct the situation.

I'll be patiently awaiting
Herman Cain just said that íf you can't get enough large-breasted black women in your bed you have no one to blame but yourself. Don't blame Wall Street or the banks or Jay Z---it's your fault you couldn't succeed at landing more...

Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 PM

810 posts, read 836,906 times
Quote:
self-selected group of self-righteous, mostly middle-class activists who have failed to win over large sections of the American public to their “cause”
How is that any different from the Tea Party?

Basically those two groups are clueless in their own way. It is merely a symptom of people knowing something is wrong, but not being exactly sure what. Hence they go to measures that are more comfortable to them; group together with liked minded individuals, but that doesn't get you any actual solutions. Not unless you try something more drastic.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
i

Richie Williams says this mass movement reminds him of his Black Panther days of the early 70s
He also believes that Obama is not at fault for the disaster.

NEW YORK – African Americans who are part the Occupy Wall Street protest movement sweeping across the country generally support President Obama, placing the balance of the blame on corporate tycoons and the warring factions in Congress for the prolonged economic malaise.

Sure many whites agree with both of these men.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,221 times
'The Kids Are All White'. So that must mean 'blacks and non-white' have more brains.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm not talking about myself. I'm talking about a lot of others who have been working in a certain field or at least have training/experience in a certain field. Then, when they lose jobs and there are no others, what are they supposed to do?
I didn't think you were talking about yourself, and I wasn't talking about you. The situation varies depending on the specific skill. A friend of mine lost a job at B of A about a week ago and had several interviews within a week and quickly got a job. Of course, not everyone is in that situation. However, if someone loses a job in their field and there are no others, it would make sense to develop a new skill/field during the two years you can be on unemployment rather than stubbornly clinging to your previous career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Actually, at some schools, especially at the graduate level, student loans are privately administered.
Yes, I'm paying on one of those as well as a federal loan. The federal loans are available to everyone and the student loans typically come into play if the federal loans don't offer enough, which isn't the norm. In those cases, the private loans operate with the same options as the federal loans. I got both of mine while I was unemployed. That's a part of the whole student loan plan; they know you're in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies