Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
it's just that every time i hear ''well we're short x amount of dollars, we need to tax x amount and we'll be okiedokie''. well that never works because of diminishing returns. the thought of something like the tsa even being neccessary never occurs to them at all, the first solution to every problem is to tax more. its a very static, elementary way to look at economics.
I don't think anyone is arguing that. Instead the argument is between people who think that there should be absolutely no new taxation and 100% draconian cuts and people who think there should be some tax increases coupled with some cuts.

There is some point of diminishing efficiency as taxes get to high, but there is also diminishing efficiency as taxes get to low. I would say we are much closer to the latter then the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 12:00 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that. Instead the argument is between people who think that there should be absolutely no new taxation and 100% draconian cuts and people who think there should be some tax increases coupled with some cuts.

There is some point of diminishing efficiency as taxes get to high, but there is also diminishing efficiency as taxes get to low. I would say we are much closer to the latter then the former.

61.00 goes to the Gov for taxes for every 300.00 spent on a airline ticket. So raising rates would be devastating for airlines.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
All the more reason to get rid of the TSA and allow the airlines, passenger rail, and bus companies to be responsible for their own security.
Aah yes, and just like additional baggage US based airlines charge for, they would provide it for free.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Even with this article posting in Feb of this year He once again is going to propose airline ticket taxes. To pay for security
How about giving it to the private sector and taking it away from the gov!
Airlines Say Obama Ticket Fee Plan May Hurt Demand
February 16, 2011, 9:55 AM EST
Airlines Say Obama Ticket Fee Plan May Hurt Demand - Businessweek

Proposed airline ticket tax bump has tempers soaring
Sept. 2011

Impose a $100 fee on each commercial airliner and corporate jet every time they take off. Only military planes and small planes with piston engines would be excluded from the new take-off fee.

•Raise the per-passenger security fee, which helps pay for the Transportation Security Administration's airport screening, from the current $2.50 for each leg of a flight to a maximum $5 for a one-way trip to a flat $5 one way. The fee also would rise another 50 cents a year from 2013 through 2017 to $7.50. The Homeland Security Department could raise it further through regulation.
The president's goal is to raise $36 billion to help trim $4 trillion off the deficit in the next decade and get more so-called user-fee money to underwrite aviation security, airport improvement and air traffic control.

Proposed airline ticket tax bump has tempers soaring - USATODAY.com

oh, of course: airlines aren't in enough trouble financually, let's raise the ticket prices so fewer people will be able to fly...I am embarrassed to admit this but I think I am one of those who would vote for anybody but Obama.

Nita

Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
The chances of that happening are just as high as a conservative president coming up with a good exit strategy before starting a useless war.
and since when do 2 wrongs make a right? We are not talking about Bush right now, well most of us aren't, you seem to think we still are living 8 years ago..

Nita

Old 10-03-2011, 12:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and since when do 2 wrongs make a right? We are not talking about Bush right now, well most of us aren't, you seem to think we still are living 8 years ago..

Nita
Bush did create the TSA without budgeting costs of the agents and the full body scanners.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:35 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Basic understanding of liberal economic philosophy-money shortfall, tax more, absolutely no side effects. I mean do liberals ever think beyond stage one of any economic proposal?
No. They never think about the means, only the end result.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:45 PM

638 posts, read 929,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
All the more reason to get rid of the TSA and allow the airlines, passenger rail, and bus companies to be responsible for their own security.
Great idea, except when and if that handoff occurs and terrorists get ahold of a plane again, who would be blamed? Oh the administration that allowed said transfer of security.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 PM

638 posts, read 929,874 times
Hey guys, anyone remember Sept 11? Ummm, cut the TSA and what would you get again? There is a reason why the government has thrown untold millions at counter terrorism and security and the reasoning is that it works. It protects all of us. There are still plenty of people out there who hate us and I for one do not care for the idea of being their victim.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:22 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
CUT is a 4 letter word to this administration.
They would rather not pass a budget and do emergency spending instead.
They would rather raise the debt ceiling than cut back on current spending.
They still spend and say "but it's paid for" with no clue where the money will come from.

You're not going to get taxed..you'll get fee'd to death instead.
Your right, i tell ya this is the joker administration. And they have no freaking clue.
What they are very good at, are imposing fees on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies