Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:55 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,105,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Thier not promoting violence,thier telling thier stories.I listen to rap,and never have I heard a rapper say rob a bank,or kill someone,or stuff like that.They are telling "thier" stories.
Well one thing that they're not promoting in their recordings is proper grammar.

Quote:
I guess rock music most promote use of drugs because most rock artists do drugs,and alot of people I know who like the newer rock are big pot-heads.
A lot of rock these days - most of it in fact, sucks. Rock died. Pop is long gone as well. R&B - great R&B of decades past... is not welcome either...

Talent? Great vocals and actual soul? Not required. All one needs is the proper image and the ability to talk (and not even talk well) over a producer's work on a computer. Then throw in a video with a lot of women wearing next to no clothes and celebrate the party - excuse me - keepin' it real I mean...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 10:55 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,623,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.00 per hour View Post
I agree,

Whenever you have a race of young men that glorify being at the bottom of the ladder and actually respect and praise one another for being poor and living in the grimey neighborhoods it's something wrong with that picture.

It's alot of the reason why young people have such a bad image, alot of the reason jobs aren't what they used to be anyone. Cheap labor companies hurry up and open up shop in minority filled areas quickly and so forth.

It has to go and I'm glad sales are some down for rap music.
You may think it has to go,but I can tell you its not going anywhere anytime soon.New rap artists come out all the time.Theres many many underground artists that you don't even hear about.Just because some people don't like Hip-Hop doesn't mean its gonna go.Im sorry,but some people don't want to listen to rock,or music from the past.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 AM

932 posts, read 1,672,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Full agreement. All human beings lived in perfect harmony, no violence or crime, until hip-hop was created.

Crime started sometime in the 1980s. It's a fact!

(p.s. --- Will the person who started this thread please explain the logic behind asking such a lame question? And will all the anti-hip-hop posters please provide one piece of evidence to support your ridiculous claims of cause and effect?)
I asked the question because of the article I posted along with it. I am not anit-hip hop...that is basically why i asked the question.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,409 times
Look, hip hop cannot be responsible for the immoral acts of people. As said before you make the decision not the music you listen to. Whether we like it or not we are exposed to a lot of people in our lives, each person with their own story and mentality. Maybe you know someone whose absolutely crazy... you hear about all the crazy acts they do and they portray it in a stylish way. Does that mean that if you go out and do something stupid the crazy person is responsible for your actions? No. Furthermore, there are a lot of hip hop artists and organizations that don't rap about sex, drugs, and alcohol. People who actually use hip hop as a way of expression and poetry. So don't put hip hop in a box because a few artists are being immoral. It doesnt stand for all of hip hop. There's so much more I could say...but i'm done

Old 10-09-2007, 09:22 PM

1,409 posts, read 4,847,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Do you think that Hip-Hop has a profound Negative influence on American Culture?
Most definitely, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
And are there other forms of Media that also contribute to the "bad things" in American culture?
All the other sleazy sewage produced by Hollywood—whether it's TV, movies, music/videos, magazines, etc.—that glorifies violence, promiscuity and the degradation of human life.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:30 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,569,315 times
First of all, there have been tons of negative influence whether artists, movies, music, sports, etc. around before hip hop became a global form of music.

for anyone to expect an artist/athlete/musician/actor/actress to be a role model for their child is RIDICULOUS. If parents would be parents and instill values/morals, etc. then children would not have to look to television/music for guidance.

Profanity in music wasn't just invented, it did not magically appear. There were several artists out when I was a child that my mom listened to and I was not allowed to (although I did sneak a few times because I wondered what "grown folks music was". Once I heard 2 minutes of it, I immediately turned it off). Why because I knew that inappropriate language was being used and that was instilled in me by my Mother/Grandmother/Grandfather - so I knew better.

This isn't new, the problem is people aren't parenting their children-plain and simple. They are too busy with their own lives to raise their children and unfortunately television/radio/internet are being allowed to do the parents job and when you allow that to happen then you have a child that is trying to "identify" with something because he/she is "lacking" something in their lives.

Hip hop ISN'T new, Hip Hop has BEEN around. It has always been an outlet for artists/poets to express themselves (good/bad/indifferent). You had underground hip hop which wasn't mainstream (i.e. it wasn't played on the radio; no videos) and then you had your mainstream hip hop (i.e. radio airplay; video, etc.).

The problem here is NOT the artist, NOT the music, the problem is the MEDIA. If you want to complain and BLAME anyone, BLAME the media, not HIP HOP, not rappers. Rappers do not OWN nor do they control BET, VH1, MTV, NBC, CBS, ABC, UNIVERSAL, PARAMOUNT, the list can go on and on.

You turn on the television any given evening and find profanity; sex; degradation; violence; etc. And I'm not talking about any of the music channels either, I'm talking prime time television, your ABC's, CBS's, NBC's, etc. I remember 7p-10p was prime time family hour you had wholesome shows on that the family could sit down and watch together after dinner. Gone are those days, the garbage that's on, I wouldn't DARE sit with my daughter to watch prime time television.

Don't blame HIP HOP, blame corporate America.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:57 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,929,993 times
I believe Rap, which is not hip-hop, has something to do with it. For example the Music videos, you see them rolling dice, smoking weed and all this stuff mirrors a negative influence. Hip-Hop is sort of a lighter note.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,569,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I believe Rap, which is not hip-hop, has something to do with it. For example the Music videos, you see them rolling dice, smoking weed and all this stuff mirrors a negative influence. Hip-Hop is sort of a lighter note.
Who owns the broadcasting station? Do parents not monitor what their children watch?

When I was 12, I knew that George Clinton smoked weed - did I go out and do it?

Rap and Hip Hop are synonomous = the both equate to music?

Rolling dice is a negative influence?

Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 PM

13,608 posts, read 20,656,973 times
It certainly glorifies the dystopic aspects of the slums. But I reckon anyone who is swayed to do harm by hip hop was going to do it anyway. I loved the Clash and the Sex Pistols back in the day, but I did not go out and set fire to the suburbs.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,118,472 times
So, if the glorification of sex, drugs, violence and such does not promote those behaviors in society, then by the same concept, I should not theoretically let my daughter constantly listen to songs about peace and love and acceptance.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone who enjoys this music.. but in an impressionable youth, the usage of the "F" bomb and calling women "B's" on a constant basis along with the glorification of sex, drugs, money, and violence may not cause those behaviors, but rather desensitizes the person.

Kind of like how the mass media has done so many stories about Death, that we hear that somebody dies... and unless that person was directly related to us - we're unphased.

If watching stuff like BabyGenius or playing educational games is supposed to raise intelligence and give them (children) a head start.. wouldn't, by the same virtue, video games have an effect? I mean, do a search of a video made from Resident Evil 4 - every possible death possibility. It's so graphic. ((And it's even more fun to try it!! Yes, I'm a gamer))

If listening to Mozart or Bethoven be a good thing for young minds, wouldn't the "dark side" or rap and hip hop be the opposite.

Now, there are some Rap and Hip Hop songs that don't glorify sex, drugs, violence, and the like. So, we can't generalize with all. That is what I call the bad stuff "The Dark Side" of music. Kind of like the rock song "Get Stoned" by Hinder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies