Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well I would like to avoid it, but it is really difficult it is in almost everything.
Yes it's a hunt but you can find the "real deal" out there.
It will cost more to buy stuff made with real sugar over HFCS.
And we all know organic and locally produced costs more.

But..is the true cost of food today using real ingredients and raising livestock the way they are supposed to be raised.

I'll cut back in other areas to afford real food and grow my own when I can.
It's your body and your health. You don't cut back in that area IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes it's a hunt but you can find the "real deal" out there.
It will cost more to buy stuff made with real sugar over HFCS.
And we all know organic and locally produced costs more.

But..is the true cost of food today using real ingredients and raising livestock the way they are supposed to be raised.

I'll cut back in other areas to afford real food and grow my own when I can.
It's your body and your health. You don't cut back in that area IMHO.
I agree. I have been lazy in that area. I live on a farm. I have space. I need to start growing. I am going to start working on that. If nothing else, it will give me piece of mind.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Well I have a small child so while hope may be lost for me I would like to see him end up normal by eating well.
Definitely check the labels for HFCS as it's in almost everything out there.

Aunt Jemima syrup...pure HFCS
Smuckers jellies and jams...HFCS
Soda..HFCS

That damn fattening sweetner is in almost everything.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:40 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
What are you referring to with the sentence that I bolded?
In reference to genetically modifying foods for the past ten thousand years. Bananas are the easiest example to cite. Natural bananas look nothing like the yellow dessert banana. But, humans have been selectively breeding animals and plants for thousands of years. That is genetic engineering on a gross scale. With the discovery of the genome and our ability to manipulate it, we have the power to modify our foodstuffs with incredible precision.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
We don't yet know how unaltered food effects our bodies, so there's no way to tell what altered foods might do.

I have read that certain pesticides work because they are the insects natural foods that have been altered to not provide the whatever that the insect eats it to obtain.

Our bodies can sustain a great deal of abuse and malnutrition before they succumb. It's decades before substance abuse and environmental toxins kill us, so how can anyone say that genetic foods are safe?
Some results are coming in now but aren't exactly hitting the front page of MSM sites. The GM pesticide is now in our blood

Blood type: Bt | fieldquestions
They studied pregnant women, their fetuses (actually umbilical cord blood after delivery), and also a group of non-pregnant women. GM-associated insecticide was widespread in the blood samples; GM-associated herbicide was present but rare.

Here's a link to the study..done in Canada:
ScienceDirect - Reproductive Toxicology : Maternal and fetal exposure to pesticides associated to genetically modified foods in Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada

Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 PM

I'm sure farmers will line up to get gm pigs with jellyfish genes so that it glows in the dark.

Genetic modification: glow-in-the-dark lifesavers or mutant freaks? | Environment | The Observer

Old 10-02-2011, 09:58 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Well I would like to avoid it, but it is really difficult it is in almost everything.
It's funny that you say that. What is your definition of "Almost everything?" I eat a simple but very good diet and I make things from scratch. It's not hard to aviod those things at all. Just don't buy any prepared foods. When I moved to Niagara Falls I found there is a factory that makes just about every kind of Italian entries you can name. There are zero chemicals, additives or any other kinds of crap in their food. It's not expensive either buying it right from the factory. I was there yesterday buying some manicotti and I noticed that half the cars in the parking lot were from the USA.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
it amazes me that people are worries about genetically modified food, but dont realize that they have been eating GM foods for decades, actually centuries. anytime you take a cutting from one plant and splice it to another, you are genetically modifying the plant. and many food bearing plants have been manipulated over the centuries, just like animals have been. the only real difference between what is done in the field, and what is done in the lab, is that the lab is doing the job directly at the gene level rather than at the more complex plant level.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Last time I checked, I don't merge DNA with something I just eaten.... last time I checked, there isn't anything toxic in GMO foods either... so while people may want organic food, that is a choice they can make on their own without trying to bring their OPINIONS on everyone else which is really what they want in the first place...
Roundup, GMOs linked to emergence of deadly new pathogen causing spontaneous abortions among animals

Old 10-02-2011, 11:15 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
If an emeritus professor from Purdue University wrote that letter, then I'm the Queen of Mars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies