Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:17 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
I think Southern conservative patriotism is the biggest crock of sh*t cooking right now. Most Southern conservatives HATE the people, culture and politics of states that are outside the south or midwest. Just look at forums in Southern states where California comes up as a topic. They unabatedly and viciously attack it's people calling us insulting names and saying they wish the state would fall off in the ocean simply because we have a more liberal culture and political agenda then they do. That's patriotic? Or the way they talk about New York and them "damn yankees" and "union *******s". I've spent sometime in middle and southern Georgia before and I met many small town country people who've never flown on a plane or driven farther than Alabama or Florida in their entire lives, yet they were quick to talk bad about Northern or Western states. How can you be patriotic if you haven't even seen other parts of your country and hate the people who live there? Just wait till the 2012 election comes underway and news channels start showing maps of blue states and red states, and listen to the genuinely spiteful and hateful comments Southern conservatives say about the blue states who voted for Obama again.

There is a reason why they still fly the rebel flag down there. They would secede again if they had the chance. They want nothing more than the opportunity to run their region the way they want, with the Republican politicians of their choice, under the religious laws of their choice, with the economic, cultural and foreign polices of their choice, and without those things being influenced by liberal Democrats from the North and West. I'm sure just the idea of that brings elated feelings to the Southern conservative reading this post right now. I have to say, I can't blame you for that, but you aren't a patriot if you don't love all things America. So quit waving around that American flag and pretending to be something you're not.
Are you implying that Northern Moonbats are patriotic? I haven't seen any reason to believe they are. If they didn't get what they wanted....you don't think they'd try to secede?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
I'm a Southern conservative and I don't hate people outside the south or the Midwest. I also have a Confederate flag and I'm not a racist.

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
I am a southerner. I dont want to secede. Now if we were going to talk about kicking some liberals outta the country... well now that is a different story all together.

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
This is how I know that everyone in the states of NY and NJ looks, acts and talks just like the cast of the Sopranos.

Right?

If you walk into a southerner's home and see a shotgun behind the door and pictures of Jesus and JFK on the wall, look out!

Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
I think Southern conservative patriotism is the biggest crock of sh*t cooking right now. Most Southern conservatives HATE the people, culture and politics of states that are outside the south or midwest. Just look at forums in Southern states where California comes up as a topic. They unabatedly and viciously attack it's people calling us insulting names and saying they wish the state would fall off in the ocean simply because we have a more liberal culture and political agenda then they do. That's patriotic? Or the way they talk about New York and them "damn yankees" and "union *******s". I've spent sometime in middle and southern Georgia before and I met many small town country people who've never flown on a plane or driven farther than Alabama or Florida in their entire lives, yet they were quick to talk bad about Northern or Western states. How can you be patriotic if you haven't even seen other parts of your country and hate the people who live there? Just wait till the 2012 election comes underway and news channels start showing maps of blue states and red states, and listen to the genuinely spiteful and hateful comments Southern conservatives say about the blue states who voted for Obama again.

There is a reason why they still fly the rebel flag down there. They would secede again if they had the chance. They want nothing more than the opportunity to run their region the way they want, with the Republican politicians of their choice, under the religious laws of their choice, with the economic, cultural and foreign polices of their choice, and without those things being influenced by liberal Democrats from the North and West. I'm sure just the idea of that brings elated feelings to the Southern conservative reading this post right now. I have to say, I can't blame you for that, but you aren't a patriot if you don't love all things America. So quit waving around that American flag and pretending to be something you're not.
I find it ironic that a person who talks about southern conservatism as hate... and then reading this person's response... it seems hateful itself... irony....

Old 10-03-2011, 11:53 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I'm a Southern conservative and I don't hate people outside the south or the Midwest. I also have a Confederate flag and I'm not a racist.
The confederate flag is the most unpatriotic symbol in American history. It's a symbol of secession. It was the battle flag of those who attempted to split up the union almost solely based on preserving the institution of slavery, which was clearly put forth in the "Cornerstone Speech" by Confederate Vice President Alexander Stevens. Like I said, you Southerners aren't truly patriotic, you just think you are.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
No stereotypes should apply to an entire group of people or region, unless you honestly think that Southern California is full of nothing but vapid, overprivileged airheads or that New Jersey is populated strictly by narcissistic guidos.

The South is constantly the butt of jokes from not only TV and movies, but also online -- it's become acceptable to stereotype Southerners as racists, uneducated simpletons and hate-filled Bible thumpers, to the point where people are honestly starting to believe the stereotypes are the norm.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:26 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
The confederate flag is the most unpatriotic symbol in American history. It's a symbol of secession. It was the battle flag of those who attempted to split up the union almost solely based on preserving the institution of slavery, which was clearly put forth in the "Cornerstone Speech" by Confederate Vice President Alexander Stevens. Like I said, you Southerners aren't truly patriotic, you just think you are.
I have to say I see more confederate battle flags in Pennsylvania then I do in North Carolina. Northerners just turn a blind eye to it because it helps their meme about the south.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:40 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Quote:
Okie dokie then. You complain about Southern conservatives hating others that don't agree with them, saying that we're unpatriotic or whatever. But you seem pretty hateful towards Southern Conservatives for some reason, that doesn't seem to be any different from how any bigoted person would be like. Believe what you want I suppose.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
He's just jealous because we have an actual culture down here.

Carpetbaggers...it's a Southern thing. You wouldn't understand.

"More than any other part of America, the South stands apart...Thousands of Northerners and foreigners have migrated to it...but Southerners they will not become. For this is still a place where you must have either been born or have 'people' there, to feel it is your native ground. "Natives will tell you this. They are proud to be Americans, but they are also proud to be Virginians, South Carolinians, Tennesseeans, Mississippians and Texans. But they are conscious of another loyalty too, one that transcends the usual ties of national patriotism and state pride. It is a loyalty to a place where habits are strong and memories are long. If those memories could speak, they would tell stories of a region powerfully shaped by its history and determined to pass it on to future generations."

— Tim Jacobson, Heritage of the South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies