Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:24 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
There is a reason nothing is manufactured in the US ,and the China produces the most .Taxes and higher wages,production costs .Sorry but I am not paying more money just for " Made in America" .America had that choice once before,and now it seems with high unemployment rate and the realization that nothing is made in the USA .Why is is an issue ?

One of the very few things the American consumer has left is how and where we spend our dollars. We all ahould use that strength. Why would you want to pay top shelf prices for a second or for that matter a third rate product? Flocking to walmart is one of the worst things people in this country can do.

Why is this an issue? This has always been an issue..learn history, a country who makes nothing can not survive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 05:27 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
snopes is your friend -
snopes.com: Determining Product Origins by Bar Code

Old 10-04-2011, 05:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I try to avoid imported food as best I can. My American cheese is from Upstate NY or Vermont. Fruit from local orchards. Meat from a butcher store that only uses American beef, chicken and pork. Cereal from Post and Kellogg. Bread from the grocery store or local farm stand bakery. Fruit juice from Florida and Massachusetts.

Autos are used made in America. The motorcycles were made in Japan. The rest of the stuff is mostly from China unless I see a specific product with a made in USA stamp. Then I will pay more to buy American. The best carving knife I own was made in America by me from an American truck leaf spring.

We need far more government inspection in our food supply chain as well as countervailing tariffs to eliminate the price advantage due to cheap labor, illegal pesticides, government subsidy and slave labor. The tariffs could be used to pay for the inspections.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Can't always tell from the label, but you can from the bar code. The first 3 digits. 1st digit on left by itself and the next 2 to the right.

690-692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA
00 - 09 ... anything 3rd USA & CANADA
30 - 37 ... anything 3rd FRANCE
40 - 44 ... anything 3rd GERMANY
471 .... Taiwan
49 ... anything 3rd JAPAN
50 ... anything 3rd UK

Good to know, I think.
Well if you go to Walmart. You really don't need to look at the bar codes to know that the products did not come from the U.S.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:41 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Well the first thing to do is you want to buy American is STAY OUT OF WALMART.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Heck yeah! Ford makes some very high quality vehicles these days.

Damn right, 4 parked in my driveway.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I try to avoid imported food as best I can. My American cheese is from Upstate NY or Vermont. Fruit from local orchards. Meat from a butcher store that only uses American beef, chicken and pork. Cereal from Post and Kellogg. Bread from the grocery store or local farm stand bakery. Fruit juice from Florida and Massachusetts.

Autos are used made in America. The motorcycles were made in Japan. The rest of the stuff is mostly from China unless I see a specific product with a made in USA stamp. Then I will pay more to buy American. The best carving knife I own was made in America by me from an American truck leaf spring.

We need far more government inspection in our food supply chain as well as countervailing tariffs to eliminate the price advantage due to cheap labor, illegal pesticides, government subsidy and slave labor. The tariffs could be used to pay for the inspections.

Greg there is a great slaughterhouse in groton mass. All local product and only about.50 cents a pound more then market basket.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:09 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Quality and Fords?
What do you drive, bob?

You better drive an American made car produced by the UAW. as should all lefties. Otherwise, you are a hypocrite.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What do you drive, bob?

You better drive an American made car produced by the UAW. as should all lefties. Otherwise, you are a hypocrite.

Most libs around here prefer vehicles made in a non union shop built in a right to work state.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What do you drive, bob?

Firebird.... GM all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies