Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The "rules and regulations" crap, is just that. There is no way the US can compete with China that pays workers around 35 cents an hour, has next to no environmental or safety standards, and work in sweatshop conditions, unless perhaps we turned into some kind of 3rd world nation
Thats odd because americans have been competing against China for 100+ years. If you think its wages pushing companies offshore, you are mistaken, as usual..
Quote:
The proof is there and the democrats have tried to pass legislation to keep jobs in america where they belong, but the right has blocked it every time. Profits are #1 to the corporations and they could care less about of the american people and the country.
Considering you dont have a clue about why companies off shore to begin with, spare me the non stop "Democrats good" babble.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Blame who you want but here is the bottom line...

RedWing boot, Made in the USA, cost is $280

Worx by Redwing, Made overseas, Cost is $120.

As long as most consumers can walk into a store and see these boots side by side and the huge difference in cost we will not stop the jobs bleeding overseas.

For the record I own the pair Made in the USA.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The simple answer is implementing countervailing tariffs to eliminate the price advantage due to cheap labor, government subsidy and nonexistent environmental protection. The tariffs could be used to pay for welfare for the poor instead of off shore profits for the rich. The major looses if tariffs were adopted would be the international financiers. The Chinese manufactures would sell to their own workers and our people would be employed making things for the US market. Loss of international trade would not hurt our economy but would cost us a lot less money. That is a good thing to do.

FWIW - The last paid of good boots I bought were offered side by side with foreign made boots. The price difference was near $100. I bought the made in USA because I knew they would be more comfortable and last far longer. That was nearly a decade ago and I am still wearing the good boots.

Last edited by GregW; 10-04-2011 at 07:04 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 06:57 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,700 times
Lightbulb If you brought back all of the jobs CEOs outsourced the past 12 years, there would be plenty of work

It'll never happen.

American CEOs love Chinese commies.

It's American workers they hate. That's also why they love having millions of illegal Mexicans they can hire instead of Americans.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
How about lowering their tax rate for hiring domestically?

Part of the reason why the jobs moved overseas is because of the tax rate.

Many of the manufacturing jobs moved south of the border and overseas because it costs more to hire American workers.
Yes.

They moved because it is CHEAPER. They can ignore enviornmental concerns. They need not worry about unions. Benefits are cheaper. Cost of living for any needed expats is cheaper.

And in the end, the price of the product is cheaper.

Would lowering a tax rate make up for all that? If so, seems to me that would be something that pretty much everyone, right or left, could get behind.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
I'm not sad I'm amazed with people who think that by outsourcing CEO positions to people from other countries we would improve our economy.
Your amazement is due to you being clueless. The effect on economy is an after effect. When Adam Smith spoke of the invisible hand, he was talking exact opposite of the beliefs you maintain. An owner, working in his own interests, helps the community without it being his primary intention, by employing people and growing his business.

The CEOs you speak for, are overly defensive about, have hurt not just the economy but reputation and well being of the businesses they're money managers of (interestingly enough, Adam Smith spoke of differences between a money manager and an owner as well). All for quick bucks, not for long term vision. This is one of the greatest threats to capitalism.

Tell me exactly why it would help to have one CEO here, taking home the salary of 50 workers, better for the economy?

Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
What is Obama, or any other President for that matter, supposed to do about Outsourcing?

Seriously, I would like to know.

Is he supposed to ban it outright? Penalize firms that do so? Bribe them? What exactly?

Outsourcing has been going on for decades. Acting like its some recent phenom is pretty ignorant.
You can giev DIS-INCENTIVES, rather than the INCENTIVES they currently get. This is apart from the wage differential. They can implement taxes on every job they export, reducing the wages disparity, and then let the corporations decide if 2-1 wage diff is worth the extra hassle involved, that they put up with with the 3-1 diff.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:22 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
i would like a review of the Hb1 visas for all the computer jobs in this country.
I think you would find about 1 million jobs from that alone.

We have a immgration problem and businesses and government find new ways to outsource technical jobs and then we wonder why Americans are jobless.

We have students out of college looking for jobs in programing and IT and instead business bring in CHEAP labor from india on HB1 visas.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
The "rules and regulations" crap, is just that. There is no way the US can compete with China that pays workers around 35 cents an hour, has next to no environmental or safety standards, and work in sweatshop conditions, unless perhaps we turned into some kind of 3rd world nation
The proof is there and the democrats have tried to pass legislation to keep jobs in america where they belong, but the right has blocked it every time. Profits are #1 to the corporations and they could care less about of the american people and the country.
Yes, sad and true...Bank of America already has swetshops in the south. They pay no health insurance, dont allow workers to get more than a 30 hr work week and give them 15 or 30 minute lunch breaks...Its really sad and this is what is becoming a new third world America.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Blame who you want but here is the bottom line...
RedWing boot, Made in the USA, cost is $280

Worx by Redwing, Made overseas, Cost is $120.

As long as most consumers can walk into a store and see these boots side by side and the huge difference in cost we will not stop the jobs bleeding overseas.

For the record I own the pair Made in the USA.
That's OK if only imported boots and sun glasses are cheaper then local produce. But today Boeing outsources much of the 787 to other countries. And Ford creates thousands of jobs in India. And Microsoft, IBM, HP, Intel, etc etc. That wasn't on the menu (of the globalization advocates). Now China apparently starts their space program...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies