Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 10:06 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,037,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Reread your post I was responding to. There were others, like yourself, who used insulating language towards HW Jr being brined out right wing stoner. He may well be a stoner. However, I've yet to ever read a liberal use such insulting terms towards drug addicted celebrities who make political statements (which is pretty much all of them).
I hope you are not refering to me personally as a liberal who supports drug use from either side...if that's the case you really ARE all wet as to who I am or my beliefs towards dopeheads of any type.

If you are refering the extremist leftwingers,then I understand your comment tho'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,640,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Reread your post I was responding to. There were others, like yourself, who used insulating language towards HW Jr being brined out right wing stoner. He may well be a stoner. However, I've yet to ever read a liberal use such insulting terms towards drug addicted celebrities who make political statements (which is pretty much all of them).
Williams is where he is today because of his father, and because he sings songs, not because of his keen rapier wit or his insightful opinions on political matters.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,362,521 times
How desperate is FOX anyway that they get this loser on the air and ask him about his political opinions?

By the way it's rare that I throw away a music CD but I tossed "That's How they do it in Dixie." Holy cow was that bad.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Williams is where he is today because of his father, and because he sings songs, not because of his keen rapier wit or his insightful opinions on political matters.
Had to take you off iggy for this comment....maybe there IS hope for you after all..truthful

Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,180,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
How desperate is FOX anyway that they get this loser on the air and ask him about his political opinions?
Because Johnny Rebel cancelled at the last minute.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,160,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
ESPN YANKS HANK WILLIAMS JR. FROM 'MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL' - LIKENS OBAMA TO HITLER

No more lead-in song: "All My Rowdy Friends Are Back for Monday Night"
Looks good on the POS, Hank junior couldn't hold a candle to his daddy.....

Old 10-04-2011, 10:19 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,673,285 times
Lightbulb This Is An Interesting Dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

Actually the female analysts, I believe her name is Gretchen, asked him for clarification if he was comparing Obama to Hitler... His answer was "Yes" and then he made the statement that Obama was the enemy.
First off, lemme pull on my flak jacket and state this for the record---I voted for the POTUS, and I'm a supporter of his...however, I'm not so naive that I don't see the veritable tidal wave of folks against him...both in the GOP and folks in his own party/voters with 'buyer's remorse'...but I digress...

I'm going to defend ol' Bocephus here...did I agree with what he said? No...I thought it was wrong on so many levels...but I would slap on my old Army uniform, grab an M-16, and jump in a foxhole in a New York minute, to back up his right to say it...

Same goes for here in Politics And Controversies...I had stopped posting here regularly a while back, because the constant angry back-and-forth was making my old head spin...and folks on BOTH sides here have said some stuff that makes what Hank uttered on Fox seem tame by comparison

But the deal here, is this...one of the bedrock principles this country was founded on was that of free speech---i.e. it doesn't matter how odious someone's remarks (or the person uttering them LOL) were, they have a basic right to speak their minds...this isn't some nightmare country where, if you even BREATHE negatively, the KGB/Tonton Macoutes/Secret Police come in the middle of the night, snatch you out of your home, stand you against a nearby wall, and ventilate (shoot) you...

This is America, and your right to free speech is protected (someone correct me if I'm wrong)...said protection extends from Fred Phelps/Westboro Baptist to Rev. Jeremiah Wright to the Dixie Chicks to (can I say it one time now) Hank Williams Jr to---each and every warm body, lib and conservative, who's ever posted here in Politics, or anywhere else on City Data...am I wrong here? Let me know...

Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
First off, lemme pull on my flak jacket and state this for the record---I voted for the POTUS, and I'm a supporter of his...however, I'm not so naive that I don't see the veritable tidal wave of folks against him...both in the GOP and folks in his own party/voters with 'buyer's remorse'...but I digress...

I'm going to defend ol' Bocephus here...did I agree with what he said? No...I thought it was wrong on so many levels...but I would slap on my old Army uniform, grab an M-16, and jump in a foxhole in a New York minute, to back up his right to say it...

Same goes for here in Politics And Controversies...I had stopped posting here regularly a while back, because the constant angry back-and-forth was making my old head spin...and folks on BOTH sides here have said some stuff that makes what Hank uttered on Fox seem tame by comparison

But the deal here, is this...one of the bedrock principles this country was founded on was that of free speech---i.e. it doesn't matter how odious someone's remarks (or the person uttering them LOL) were, they have a basic right to speak their minds...this isn't some nightmare country where, if you even BREATHE negatively, the KGB/Tonton Macoutes/Secret Police come in the middle of the night, snatch you out of your home, stand you against a nearby wall, and ventilate (shoot) you...

This is America, and your right to free speech is protected (someone correct me if I'm wrong)...said protection extends from Fred Phelps/Westboro Baptist to Rev. Jeremiah Wright to the Dixie Chicks to (can I say it one time now) Hank Williams Jr to---each and every warm body, lib and conservative, who's ever posted here in Politics, or anywhere else on City Data...am I wrong here? Let me know...
No,you are far from wrong...deal is tho'...ol'Hank's check was being signed by someone who feared the backlash and figured to cut their losses....that's it...not suppression of freedom of speech,just not a good speech for a spokesman(he was considered that when he was in good wasn't he?) of a public company to make.

He was probably drunk and is wondering today why he was fired if the truth were ever to be told.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,180,229 times
captaincatfish, spot-on all the way. Dude's got the right to say whatever he wants, and God/Allah/Vishnu/Wotan/whoever bless him for it. However the rest of us have the right to make fun of him and anyone else who gets up on tv and makes an ass of themselves.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:28 AM

9,344 posts, read 20,699,378 times
I continued to be amused that ABC corp rolled with this guy for as long as they did, as well as hiring others with questionable backgrounds (Michael Irvin comes to mind immediately) and put their faces on NFL product.

Why do I say 'questionable'? Forget about the freedom of speech issue here. I think it's more relevant to consider the following:

Are You Ready For Some Mug Shot? | The Smoking Gun

ABC got what they deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies