Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh bull
the FEDERAL tab on medicare/medicaid (not counting the states kick in) is over 800 billion just to cover about 70 million people PARTIALLY
And that is the high risk pool for you. How much would this pool cost in the hands of private insurers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh bull

the FEDERAL tab on medicare/medicaid (not counting the states kick in) is over 800 billion just to cover about 70 million people PARTIALLY

look at the stats of people LIFESTYLE and HEALTH

over 100 million (1 in 3 )americans are OBESE

19 million people CURRENTLY are fighting CANCER, with 1.8 million new cases per year

number of americans with heart desease: 26.2 million and of those((Number of visits with heart disease as primary diagnosis: 16 million ))((Number of discharges with heart disease as first-listed diagnosis: 4.2 million))

More than 25 million Americans have significant vision loss.(((hmmm more than 25 million americans are blind or going blind.....that's more than norway,finland, denmark,switzerland,and austria COMBINED TOTAL population....)))

number of americans with diabetes: 26 million

mumber of americans with asthma: 20 million....Each day 11 Americans die from asthma.

number of americans in nursing homes: 2 million (one of the bigger costs to medicaid AND medicare) the average cost of a room for a nursing home is over 70k per year(or $192 a day)The highest rates for a private room in 2005 were reported in the state of Alaska where the cost is $204,765 a year or $561 a day on average. The lowest rates were found in Shreveport, Louisiana, at $36,135 a year or $99 a day. The average length of stay in a nursing home for current residents is 2.4 years, which makes the average cost of a nursing home stay approximately $168,192

hmmm 2 million people with an average cost of 70k per year....thats 140,000,000,000 (140 billion right there)...just in nursing home costs

while some of those may overlap...look at those numbers 19,26,25,26,20...that's 116 million with MAJOR health problem,,costly problems......we will ALWAYS be the largest spender in the world...we have the 3rd hightest population in the world (next to china and india) and we have more people (total, not a percentage) with major problems than any other country in europe.....I just showed you at least 116 million people with cancer,heart,blindness, diabetes, asthma.......that's more than france and great britian COMBINED for their total populations.
Yeah, but how much does Big Pharma make on Dristan every time a new viral strain is disseminated?

Bet'cha Big Pharma makes more on the low end, than it does on high end disease.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
And, after the first or second visit when the patient is properly fitted?

I was taking respirators apart and putting them back together when I was 10 years old, blindfolded!

The medical profession threw everything they had at me, and I survived.

The good inhalers have been removed from the market - right after the patents expired.

O'Bama just jacked the price on all of the existing bad inhalers - some kind of fk'd up ozone layer tax.
I think that you have confused a metered dose inhaler with a ventilator. Again, internet physicians are quite amusing, yet potentially dangerous.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I think that you have confused a metered dose inhaler with a ventilator. Again, internet physicians are quite amusing, yet potentially dangerous.
I can take apart a "metered dose inhaler" with a hammer.

And, you can put it back together.

Man, you are the perfect candidate for perspicatory therapy.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:13 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My dad is old and on Medicare. He has had to wait longer and longer to see a doctor for his Parkinson's
He has had to change doctors 4 times in the last 5 years, because they keep dropping Medicare patients. No longer taking it. There is a big shortage of doctors taking medicare. Think about that... Parkinson's is usually an elderly condition, where most of the patients are on Medicare and the neurologist are dropping them, because of monetary loss shown at tax time.

I can see cash only, being way more profitable, personal and responsive, to each patient.
Forgive me if this has been responded to. Many doctors are no longer taking Medicare. Every practice that I am aware has partnered with a Medicare Advantage program. If we did not have medigap provided by DH employer before he retired I'd get it too. It is a great deal. Have your father inquire if his DR's office participates in a Medicare Advantage program.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:36 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I can take apart a "metered dose inhaler" with a hammer.

And, you can put it back together.

Man, you are the perfect candidate for perspicatory therapy.

A. Why would you want to take apart a MDI?
B. If one could, why would you use a hammer?
C. If one did, what the hell have you accomplished?
D. How does this have any bearing on your presumed medical knowledge for the treatment of asthma and or COPD?

I am sure that I could destroy many things with a hammer. I am not sure exactly what this would demonstrate or what relevence it would have to any discussion.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:49 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,313 times
GregW is correct; ObamaCare is a major payoff to Big Pharma, who donated very heavily to Obama during the 2008 campaign.

And as most of us know it will NOT reduce costs, but will only force more of us to increase our out of pocket expenses once the subsidies end after a defined peiod of time.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
A. Why would you want to take apart a MDI?
B. If one could, why would you use a hammer?
C. If one did, what the hell have you accomplished?
D. How does this have any bearing on your presumed medical knowledge for the treatment of asthma and or COPD?

I am sure that I could destroy many things with a hammer. I am not sure exactly what this would demonstrate or what relevence it would have to any discussion.
Why should a doctor get a cut out of my Dristan purchase?

Old 10-05-2011, 01:21 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Many of us don't want the country to incur the increased cost and lowered quality of care that a single payer system would bring.
Single payer systems work in places that don't already have a huge private industry built into the system, like we do. When you try to integrate single payer while keeping everyone in healthcare private industry in the loop of profits--as Obamacare does--all you get is health care that is twice as expensive as it should be.

That's where we're going. And it's yet another nail in the coffin of the Baby Boom. If you ever manage to retire after inflation, dollar devaluation, no interest rates for decades, housing asset collapse, etc., you'll find the $40,000 you budgeted annually for living expenses after retirement, will MORE THAN exceeded just by health care costs. "A 65-year-old couple retiring this year will need $230,000 to pay for medical care throughout retirement, according to a Fidelity Investments estimate released today." Fidelity: Couples Need $230,000 for Retirement Health Costs - Planning to Retire (usnews.com)

From what I've seen, the majority of health care provided to healthy Americans today is unnecessary. I know I want my doctor to be available once a year or so when I have an urgent small health matter, but said Dr. is ALWAYS too busy to see me unless I can make an appointment weeks ahead of time. Why? Because he's talked the other patients into the endless series of exams and lab tests that keep her information "up to date"--even though nothing is wrong, and the tests would have to be re-done if any problems arose later. That fills the appointment book and stabilizes income, I guess. If I followed the system's advice, I'd be making 10 to 12 appointments for expensive tests every year, and exposing myself to the sick people in doctor's offices and labs, getting false positives and having to go back and have them done again.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Forgive me if this has been responded to. Many doctors are no longer taking Medicare. Every practice that I am aware has partnered with a Medicare Advantage program. If we did not have medigap provided by DH employer before he retired I'd get it too. It is a great deal. Have your father inquire if his DR's office participates in a Medicare Advantage program.
Medicare Advantage is being eliminated under Obamacare. Its too good a deal for the consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies