Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:48 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times

Advertisements

Well, I personally don't think so, UNLESS, you have no home phone and all you have IS your cell phone.

OR

All debt collector calls are made, paid for by the caller, so that calls to cell phones don't count against your minutes.

Obama Wants To Ease Way For Debt Collectors To Call Cellphones | Fox News

Should Debt Collectors Be Given Access To Your Cell Phone? | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM

419 posts, read 365,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Well, I personally don't think so, UNLESS, you have no home phone and all you have IS your cell phone.

OR

All debt collector calls are made, paid for by the caller, so that calls to cell phones don't count against your minutes.

Obama Wants To Ease Way For Debt Collectors To Call Cellphones | Fox News

Should Debt Collectors Be Given Access To Your Cell Phone? | Fox News

People would just block the Debt collector's number. Case closed.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:52 PM

760 posts, read 685,704 times
Just pay your bills. Problem solved.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,975 times
I recently received a new cell number and one of the first calls I got was a debt collector looking for the previous holder of the number.

Did a little research and found out the collector has hundreds of phone lines.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
probably. as we move from being richest country on earth to a bunch of deadbeats, the law regarding those in debt will become more harsh. akin to what it was.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:45 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
The original story and the Fox poll are a lie.

Assuming there is anything to the story, which I would never assume if it comes from Fox, the Fox story says that the proposal is limited to collection agencies working for the federal government to collect student loans, not "debt collectors" in general, as the story implies.

Whether you agree with the idea or not, you can understand why the government agencies and collection agencies trying to contact students who have recently left school, most of whom probably only have cell phones.

That said, I'm inclined to agree with the criticism from the National Consumer Law Center.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:52 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The original story and the Fox poll are a lie.

Assuming there is anything to the story, which I would never assume if it comes from Fox, the Fox story says that the proposal is limited to collection agencies working for the federal government to collect student loans, not "debt collectors" in general, as the story implies.

Whether you agree with the idea or not, you can understand why the government agencies and collection agencies trying to contact students who have recently left school, most of whom probably only have cell phones.

That said, I'm inclined to agree with the criticism from the National Consumer Law Center.
I don't know what you are talking about because the Fox story makes it clear that it only applies to defaulted government loans... maybe they changed it... but that's way I read which is incidentally before you even posted... as to the original OP's question.. I don't think harassing someone through a cellphone is even legit considering it uses the person's minutes which they can't have back... you are in effect costing them money by making repeated phone calls throughout the day which is what the government plans on doing... its not a simple one phone call and that's it... the government will probably outsource it to the private collection agency who will threaten and lie to you to get money as well so the government can blame them because they don't want the bad PR and don't have the balls to do it...

Old 10-04-2011, 06:14 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
simple, why not let creditors ask for a valid cell phone number up front when the credit is applied for? If the borrower doesn't want to submit to that, then the creditor can decline to make the loan. If either party is unhappy with the number or lack thereof, don't go thru with the loan. But if they can agree to terms, then they've got a deal.

Why does Obama need to be involved? Doesn't he have enough to do with three wars going?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
Just pay your bills. Problem solved.
Not a solution to the problem. People can't pay their bills, hence the problem.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Typical. Obama supporters either defending the decision or denying the story simply because the story is from Fox News. My only problem with this decision is the huge number of minutes and text messages this will put on the people. I do foresee a mass transition to prepaid no-contract phones. We use to have collections calling frequently after my wife lost her job and her medical bills made us decide between debts or medicine and surgery, no brained there. Collections agencies don't always use the same number and sometimes don't show a number at all. If you hang up on them, they'll sometimes call right back. We no longer get those calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies