Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:53 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times

Advertisements

I've noticed much vitriol directed at gay people for the last year or so, being somewhat ambivalent on the issue i havent given it much thought but now that it seems to be a political issue especially from the right i've been wondering why do people care whether some one is gay or not and why is it important politically?
To me whether some one is gay or not is about as relevant as whether some one has blonde hair or brown hair.
Did i miss the memo as to why this issue is important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 02:57 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've noticed much vitriol directed at gay people for the last year or so, being somewhat ambivalent on the issue i havent given it much thought but now that it seems to be a political issue especially from the right i've been wondering why do people care whether some one is gay or not and why is it important politically?
To me whether some one is gay or not is about as relevant as whether some one has blonde hair or brown hair.
Yeh, you missed the memo. It was circulated 34 days ago. Guess you didn't get it.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:58 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
I got it!!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,107,068 times
Quote:
Good question. I'm a Republican and am not gay. However, I do support the right for gays to marry and/or adopt children. What two CONSENTING ADULTS do in the privacy of their home is their own business. The Federal Government has way too many other issues to be concerned about right now without interfering in the personal lives of its citizenry. Why this is a huge issue in politics is beyond me. If you are living in Toledo, Ohio should you care about two men or two women getting married in Tulsa, Oklahoma? No.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:02 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,853,557 times
Because some people are control freaks.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:03 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,746,741 times
Quote:
Because it's one of the few supposed "sins" that most people themselves will never have to deal with, which makes it an easy scapegoat to condemn and still view yourself as the righteous godly one.

Divorce, adultery, gluttony, greed, sabbath breaking, etc. are all very common in the Christian community which makes people want to turn a blind eye to them.

Although those who are seriously opposed to gays, generally are hiding something themselves and it's more of a defense mechanism to take their mind off their own same-sex attractions.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:07 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,000,015 times
One of the reasons it is important politically is because some people believe that marriage has a traditional/religious meaning and unites one man and one woman. With gays wanting the same rights as heteros - not just to marry the person they love but also subsequent rights granted by this union - they have appeared on the radar of conservatives nationwide.

If marriage were a purely religious union, conservatives would have a point. However, as it stands, government decided some time in the past to grant rights to such unions and thereby, extended its relevance beyond the religious sphere. As such, government currently precludes some of its citizens from the same benefits that heteros have access to.

Thus, the "issue of gays" gets traction from two sides...

Of course, then there is the issue of "sin" and apparently, government cannot endorse or reward behavior that a particular demographic deems unacceptable.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:11 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,491,140 times
Because people believe the big magic guy in the sky is abnormally concerned with how human's use their genitals.

Not famine.
Not slavery.
Not war deaths.

He's pretty much only concerned with how we use our genitals.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:13 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,000,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
He's pretty much only concerned with how we use our genitals.
Can we have a list?

I notice that lists are quite popular on CD.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,806,900 times
Note, this video has some gay imagery...dudes in leather. I think there's a butt with a thong. I'd say PG-13.

Gordon's secret room - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies