Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Apparently conservatives simply don't possess the nimbleness of mind to recognize that this isn't thread to debate the values or lack thereof of patriotism, but rather to point out the bloody obvious that such issues as outsourcing, skirting trade restrictions to "enemy countries" and simply outward manifestations that regardless of political persuasion, Patriotismâ„¢ is but a mere sentiment for a growing class of international capitalist, REGARDLESS OF THE NATION OF THEIR BIRTH. In other words, this isn't about Americans, Germans, Chinese or Italians because some folks those adjectives are meaningless.!!!!
I think you've raised an interesting point. What are the roots of patriotism? How does the love for one's home country get planted and nurtured? I think the central point you are making about the rich is that the mobility they have, the choices, gives them an opportunity of seeing what other countries have to offer, an opportunity many of us don't have. The opportunity to see what other countries have to offer is also an opportunity to see what other countries lack, though.

I think there is a distinction that has to be made between nationalism and patriotism. Love for one's country (patriotism) does not have to be blind or uninformed. I think the real threat to patriotism that underlies your position is that there is a lack of identity, that rich people are raising their children as global citizens rather than as American or British or French or Chinese citizens. And so, perhaps, you wanted a discussion of what is lost when people don't have a loyalty to one nation, but instead see themselves as separate from any national identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It is foolhardy to assume anything regarding one of my posts, ....<snip>
I had no idea you were so formidable.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:28 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Those are trappings of patriotism, but they don't have a whole lot to do with what our founding fathers fought for. Real patriotism is fighting for self governance and freedom. We've wrapped ourselves in the flag and sung the national anthem while we handed political control of this country over to multi-national corporations. The questions is--are we waking up in time to take it back?
Old Glory and the National Anthem are more than "trappings". They remind me of the blood and tears that were shed during all our wars so that everyone can have the freedoms that we enjoy every day.

Granted,...there are problems in this nation, but most of those problems are worldwide. If one listens to the liberals, one might think that this country has caused all the world tension as well as the world's economic problems. America is not faultless, but it is still the best nation on the face of the Earth, and our poorest are light years ahead of other nations' poor.

I find it ironic that liberals always resort to economic/class warfare to attack patriotism. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. "

George William Curtis
Exactly so!

Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
I have no dislike of Patriotism, but the things about how you have to remove your hat or whatever, that's ridiculous. It's a meaningless gesture, unless you want it to be one. It in and of itself means nothing. It doesn't make you a bigger patriot, and it doesn't make the person who leaves their hat on any less of one...
There are things called "tradition" and "respect". Calling tradition "ridiculous" doesn't make it so. Standing while the National Anthem is played is a gesture of RESPECT for our nation. Respect for our nation is in short supply in the land of liberalism.

Patriotism is not one-upsmanship. Patriotism is personal. Whether you agree or disagree with ones actions is immaterial.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Patriotism is just hollow symbols, slogans and gestures. Something for the emotions.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Patriotism is just hollow symbols, slogans and gestures. Something for the emotions.
It is an adherence to a principal to which the country was established. Individual liberty, freedom, and justice.

While a country may change due to its corruption, allegiance to those principals to which the country stands (notice that the pledge of allegiance is not to the country, but to the principals for which the country stood) or stood is that of a patriot and one who is of such will fight to protect it.

There is nothing hollow about respecting such principals.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Yep,....patriotism is an emotional response based upon respect for, and knowledge of ones country. No one is demanding that ANYONE be patriotic,.....just leave me to hell alone while I show my respect for this country.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:08 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It is an adherence to a principal to which the country was established. Individual liberty, freedom, and justice.

While a country may change due to its corruption, allegiance to those principals to which the country stands (notice that the pledge of allegiance is not to the country, but to the principals for which the country stood) or stood is that of a patriot and one who is of such will fight to protect it.

There is nothing hollow about respecting such principals.
There are no principles, except might makes right.
The flag is a symbol. The pledge is a slogan. Removing hats for the flag is a gesture.

Patriotism is used to cultivate conformity, galvanize against common enemies (as determined by those in power), and to accuse those who don't march along in lock step as being unpatriotic.
Who can differentiate patriotism from nationalism?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,446,267 times
The collectivism of Marxism/Communism is what is really for suckers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies