Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,779,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
That old saying ignorance is bliss, is true. We all know homosexuals have always been in the military. But it was always kept down as to not cause rifts and discomfort inside the fighting unit.

There is a reason why men and women don't share showers and sleeping quarters.

Now that everything is out now, out of respect for those soldiers that don't like this, should there be separate quarters?

A female soldier would not like to be undressed around people who are sexually attracted to them.

Homosexual males are attracted to men....why wouldn't this same logic apply??

Very fair concern. It's occurred to me imagining a command trying to solve it. I think fraternization rules and the respect gays have always afforded hetero's should be the answer. No means no for females, and it also means no for hetero men who do not care for unwanted romantic intentions pointed at themselves. Maintaining personal discipline among gays regarding this issue isn't optional.

Beyond that men have been showering with one another, and women as well, far longer than these issues came to the front. Somehow common decency prevailed 99% of the time. Gays requesting special berthing-- I'd flag them in my mind as less than fit for service. Same with homophobes allowing paranoia to take hold of their own conduct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I understand where you are coming from, when you are in a war, living in hell whole, working 13 hours a day, you are lucky to even get a shower, and you have no time for dicking around. But that is not the entirety of military life, now is it?
The point is if we didn't give a crap about this issue in the most stressful, close-quarters scenario possible, then it really doesn't matter when troops are back in garrison. This may come as a shock, but military members are professional, mature adults who are capable of working and living with others who aren't cookie-cutter images of themselves. We really don't need all this patronizing on our behalf.

Last edited by Smoke_Jaguar4; 10-05-2011 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-05-2011, 04:48 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And how do you determine who is straight and who is gay?
We modify the "don't ask, don't tell" thing to "ask and tell".

Old 10-05-2011, 04:54 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
We modify the "don't ask, don't tell" thing to "ask and tell".
And since many gays will deny it, I'm not sure that would prove too accurate.

A plethysmograph would be a more accurate method.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:00 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
Soldiers should also be separated by loyalties as well, such as sports' teams.
When in the Army the guy in the next bunk was a big Ford fan, I preferred Chevies. I couldn't stand to listen to his boasting every night that a Ford can beat a Chevy in the quarter mile. Three bunks away was an extroverted Mopar fan. They argued constantly. All this was too much to for me hear every night. Maybe soldiers should also be separated by which type of cars they like?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Who are you kidding, the military is full of closet cases. The Marines alone is probably 50% gays!
Just another Homosexual fantasy LOL or do you have proof?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Just another Homosexual fantasy LOL or do you have proof?
Well, let's see. Science has shown that homophobic men are more likely to be gay. The Marines is the most homophobic of the military branches.

Seems like a logical deduction.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,852 times
Quote:
No, they shouldn't. If military men can't handle sharing quarters with gay men, then they can't handle being shot at or killing people and need to be discharged.

People should not make idiotic statements just to try to prove a point.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,332 times
Gays aren't just flagrantly announcing their gayness and trying to rape people because DADT was repealed. Get a grip. I've been in for 7 years and have served with multiple gay people.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
I think this thread should be revived on Veteran's Day. That's in November, not too far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies