Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
Amen to that Theses people on this movement sound like spoiled children who are crying that their fine arts,music and philosophy degrees are worthless and no jobs .They are the ones who racked up the debt for that degree you pay for it .
Exactly!!

I have no patience for the idiots whom decided to make a career out of attending college so they could sit around spewing liberal academia at starbucks. Now their loans are due and they have no job experience and therefore it is extremely difficult to get a job in this failing economy. They made that choice - why should someone else pay for that?

I would love to have attended graduate school and continued my education beyond a BA. However, I did not want to take out student loans as my parents worked hard to pay for my first degree and I wanted to show my thanks by getting a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 PM

604 posts, read 750,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Now their loans are due and they have no job experience and therefore it is extremely difficult to get a job in this failing economy. They made that choice - why should someone else pay for that?

Wait... they have no job experience because it is extremely difficult to get a job in a FAILING economy and that is their choice?

The Government and Corporations could fix this but they've been doing what the people want as opposed to what we need.

No one wants to sacrifice their political career to save the US by making goods more expensive to buy if we raise tariffs on imported goods so that Americans can work for the wage they want....

Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Wait... they have no job experience because it is extremely difficult to get a job in a FAILING economy and that is their choice?

The Government and Corporations could fix this but they've been doing what the people want as opposed to what we need.

No one wants to sacrifice their political career to save the US by making goods more expensive to buy if we raise tariffs on imported goods so that Americans can work for the wage they want....

so corporations teetering on bankruptcies themselves and potentially laying off hundreds if not thousands of employees are to fix the economy?

Old 10-07-2011, 11:31 PM

604 posts, read 750,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
so corporations teetering on bankruptcies themselves and potentially laying off hundreds if not thousands of employees are to fix the economy?
No.

Corporations using their 'lobbyist funds' and Governmental influence could work to get tax breaks for companies that hire American workers, and raise tariffs on goods enough to make it cost efficient to hire American, or at least competitive.

Bailout money is useless, since all of the money buys imported products, the money doesn't stay in the USA.

The regulations we have are somewhat ridiculous and expensive and countries, not trying to pick on any specifically but, like China don't have the regulations we do and can produce goods for much lower cost, enough so that it is more cost efficient to start a factory overseas and ship the goods to the United States.

Corporations should not have such a large say in our politics IMO.
But, I guess they're people too...

Old 10-08-2011, 12:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
No.

Corporations using their 'lobbyist funds' and Governmental influence could work to get tax breaks for companies that hire American workers, and raise tariffs on goods enough to make it cost efficient to hire American, or at least competitive.

Bailout money is useless, since all of the money buys imported products, the money doesn't stay in the USA.

The regulations we have are somewhat ridiculous and expensive and countries, not trying to pick on any specifically but, like China don't have the regulations we do and can produce goods for much lower cost, enough so that it is more cost efficient to start a factory overseas and ship the goods to the United States.

Corporations should not have such a large say in our politics IMO.
But, I guess they're people too...
Nor should unions, special interest groups, world banks, the United Nations, lobbies from other countries, etc... .

Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Yes, the minorites don't have the money to travel and protest.
You had to be kidding, I hope

Last edited by rural lady; 10-08-2011 at 01:33 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Or, some could be back home applying and getting the jobs that these spoiled liberal children won't do.
So its assumed no minorities are there and they are all poor?

Geezzzzzzz

Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
While on the surface, it sounds like some whiners... I think what is really going on here is a general "people that are trying to do what they should be doing are being screwed by the upper 1%."

An entire generation (or two) was sold on the idea that college was necessary or that "if you do a good job and work for your company for 30+ years, they will have a pension fund for you in your retirement." It is a lot to stomach. Benefits that Americans have enjoyed for the better part of the 20th century are now gone. And its all in the name of bigger profits for this "1%" that these protestors talk about.

On the issue of college loans in particular, its a vicious cycle. Many years ago, when college was still affordable to a large portion of the population, but not affordable others, there was an outcry of "It's not fair! Not everyone can afford college." Banks wouldn't lend students money since they have no collateral. So, here comes the gov't to save the day. They offer to guarantee and subsidize loans. Yay! Yippiee! And since all of these new students have "easy money" access from loans, schools can bring the costs of tuition up. Why not? The money is there. Just put the student further into debt.

I'd love to hear an explanation on why college tuition costs have more than doubled (inflation already considered) over the last 30 years.

Source on doubling: http://trends.collegeboard.org/downloads/archives/CP_2006.pdf (broken link)
I dont' know why they bought into the need for college, I worked up the ladder, no college, made a good salary, the college crowd where I worked were not better or smarter than the other workers.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Although some like to think they have the ability to get to the 1%, very, very few do. It is pretty much a closed society and many enter thru inheritance.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I would have thought less than 9%. You can add the CEOs of all those .... hey wait a minute, aren't they on Wall Street? I wonder why they chose that location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies