Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:57 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Absolute hogwash. MOST do it through hard work and making the RIGHT choices in business and in life.

Things the Left will never understand.
The Richest People in America List - Forbes

Most I seen on the list first 3-4 pages were investment people, hedge funds, maybe someone here has the research on the self made ones.

I know Gates, Buffet, Jobs and Allen are self made
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 02:19 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is obviously an attempt to marginalize & demonize those who are extremely wealthy.

People do this at their own peril. This will not help the situation. They are being used by people who are part of the 1% towards a certain social agenda.
If individuals should take reponsibility for themselves ( Which I agree with ) then banks should also.

Banks should not have been bailed out. It's too bad that most of the protestors are more than likely Obama voters also, they can't see that this clown is bought and paid for.

In regards to the jobs issue maybe the Idiot Obama should stop suing states that try to enforce immigration laws. Illegals burden the taxpayers and also steal American jobs. Anybody who believes that we have 12-20 million illegals picking fruit is delusional.

Many Illegal aliens game the system at taxpayer's expense and work in many different fields.

It's time we bring our troops home, kick out all the Illegal aliens and their leaching children, cut foreign aid and start taking care of AMERICANS first.

And most of all vote out that POS president in 2012.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
If individuals should take reponsibility for themselves ( Which I agree with ) then banks should also.

Banks should not have been bailed out. It's too bad that most of the protestors are more than likely Obama voters also, they can't see that this clown is bought and paid for.

In regards to the jobs issue maybe the Idiot Obama should stop suing states that try to enforce immigration laws. Illegals burden the taxpayers and also steal American jobs. Anybody who believes that we have 12-20 million illegals picking fruit is delusional.

Many Illegal aliens game the system at taxpayer's expense and work in many different fields.

It's time we bring our troops home, kick out all the Illegal aliens and their leaching children, cut foreign aid and start taking care of AMERICANS first.

And most of all vote out that POS president in 2012.
Let me see if I got this straight. Kids for a long time and are still told the path to a good job goes thru College. They take the leaders of the Country at their word and enter College. Many need Student loans to be able to pay for it because their dad doesn't work for a Bank. But that OK, the Govt backs those loans and the Bank eagerly gives...... all fine and dandy, however, grads are finding it hard to get Jobs..Hmmm, those kids are now becoming more and more incapable of paying that debt. Oh no say the Banks, loans are defaulting, we need the Congress to make sure these worthless kids don't have access to Bankruptcy protection. In 2005, the GOP Congress did just that. in 2009 Govt ran to the rescue of the Banks, Bailout, yet for this rescue of all these kids and even older people trying to retool their skill set, are finding it's all been a lie. "Education gets you a Job", wrong. These people are justifiably angry and are likely to get angrier the long they see the Repubs prevent any action to build Job growth, now, not 10 yrs from now. Now they are hearing the Cantor like people in Congress, calling them "Mobs". The protests are not all about Student Loans, but a good part of it is. Mostly the Protests are about the inequality that exist in this Country. The same inequality that led to the Great Depression and these people do not want to see that happen.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Let me see if I got this straight. Kids for a long time and are still told the path to a good job goes thru College. They take the leaders of the Country at their word and enter College. Many need Student loans to be able to pay for it because their dad doesn't work for a Bank. But that OK, the Govt backs those loans and the Bank eagerly gives...... all fine and dandy, however, grads are finding it hard to get Jobs..Hmmm, those kids are now becoming more and more incapable of paying that debt. Oh no say the Banks, loans are defaulting, we need the Congress to make sure these worthless kids don't have access to Bankruptcy protection. In 2005, the GOP Congress did just that. in 2009 Govt ran to the rescue of the Banks, Bailout, yet for this rescue of all these kids and even older people trying to retool their skill set, are finding it's all been a lie. "Education gets you a Job", wrong. These people are justifiably angry and are likely to get angrier the long they see the Repubs prevent any action to build Job growth, now, not 10 yrs from now. Now they are hearing the Cantor like people in Congress, calling them "Mobs". The protests are not all about Student Loans, but a good part of it is. Mostly the Protests are about the inequality that exist in this Country. The same inequality that led to the Great Depression and these people do not want to see that happen.
Remind me again, what's the unemployment rate for college graduates?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Remind me again, what's the unemployment rate for college graduates?
Growing ....

Jay Hancock's blog: Pay falls, unemployment rises for college grads - Business news: Stock markets, banks and economic observations with columnist Jay Hancock - baltimoresun.com

New College Grads Face Challenges in Unemployment Lines

Unemployment rate for college grads is highest since 1970 - USATODAY.com

Study: 85% of College Grads Move Home to Live with Parents - TIME NewsFeed

But hey, they could bury their heads in the sand, huh?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Let's face it, college graduates, especially the newest ones, are one of the least impacted by this economy but seem to be complaining the loudest. Just seems somewhat odd and a bit disingenious.

I always loved hiring new college grads but lately, not so much. In the past, I could always rely on a new college grad to be eager, full of energy, and so excited to learn. Now, the ones I'm getting are close to lazy, feel like they are so much more knowledgeable than all of us "old" people (btw, I'm only in my 30s), and believe they should be promoted after giving me all of 6 months of lackluster performance. I actually had one that complained when I wouldn't let him get off work to go surf whenever the surf was really good. I mean, really! There a fair amount of generalization there but I've been hiring people for a while now and that's my experience.

But, by all means, they can go and sit in a park for several weeks. Wonder how that'll read on the resume?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Let's face it, college graduates, especially the newest ones, are one of the least impacted by this economy but seem to be complaining the loudest. Just seems somewhat odd and a bit disingenious.

I always loved hiring new college grads but lately, not so much. In the past, I could always rely on a new college grad to be eager, full of energy, and so excited to learn. Now, the ones I'm getting are close to lazy, feel like they are so much more knowledgeable than all of us "old" people (btw, I'm only in my 30s), and believe they should be promoted after giving me all of 6 months of lackluster performance. I actually had one that complained when I wouldn't let him get off work to go surf whenever the surf was really good. I mean, really! There a fair amount of generalization there but I've been hiring people for a while now and that's my experience.

But, by all means, they can go and sit in a park for several weeks. Wonder how that'll read on the resume?
Perhaps some classes on how to interview and select good employee potential would help. Or could you be doing a "fair amount of generalizing" here?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Perhaps some classes on how to interview and select good employee potential would help. Or could you be doing a "fair amount of generalizing" here?
That's priceless. Because being fully successful in hiring competent new employees in the past would be of no use for me here; must be luck.

Let me repeat, in the past, I have seen a different attitude from my young college graduates I have hired. Recently, I have seen a shift. I could only surmise what accounts for this shift but yes, I have seen it. This is my own personal anecdotal evidence that may mean very little to you and I'm sure it doesn't but it does make me look askance at movements primarily populated by recent college graduates. A bit of prejudice? Sure, but it's based on my own experiences, as is most people's personal perceptions of their environment.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
That's priceless. Because being fully successful in hiring competent new employees in the past would be of no use for me here; must be luck.

Let me repeat, in the past, I have seen a different attitude from my young college graduates I have hired. Recently, I have seen a shift. I could only surmise what accounts for this shift but yes, I have seen it. This is my own personal anecdotal evidence that may mean very little to you and I'm sure it doesn't but it does make me look askance at movements primarily populated by recent college graduates. A bit of prejudice? Sure, but it's based on my own experiences, as is most people's personal perceptions of their environment.
It's good that you realize how generalizations are derived. It is not up to the employee to fit your perception, it is up to you to determine if an employee will fit your perception. At least, that's the way I learned it from school and many, many years of experience.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:46 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:

Right or wrong the more money that you pay for school the more you expect to be paid when you get out of school.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies