Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:47 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

Heck no, they will just eat up another $100.00 in free samples, I mean really$5.00 is nothing to cry about you can eat samples and skip a meal each time you go, figure it up for a year it's a heck of a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:51 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Heck no, they will just eat up another $100.00 in free samples, I mean really$5.00 is nothing to cry about you can eat samples and skip a meal each time you go, figure it up for a year it's a heck of a deal.
Ah - but you don't need a membership to take advantage of free samples. They will let you walk around w/o one, but also, as a former member, I can simply flash my card at the front and browse to my heart's content.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Costco has just announced they will increase their yearly membership fee from 50 to 55 dollars.

Since Americans are now so adverse to any fee - will we start seeing Costco picketed and/or burned down???

Just wondering.
I'm waiting to hear what Dick Durbin has to say.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:46 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I have a big family (5 boys from tween to almost 18) so we buy lots of groceries. I have a costco membership, but their prices really have been going up, and I'm finding that I'm getting better deals at my local grocery store (HyVee)--especially when I shop the sales and plan around them. We don't buy a ton of processed food. I may ditch my costco membership if the rates keep going up.
^^I am much in the same boat and also shop Hyvee. Mainly I take advantage of some of the KILLER coupons costco has. I got full sized candy bars for maybe 35cents each that way to hand out for halloween.

I generally just buy whatever is on sale at either place.

Our costco has gift cards to local restaurants $100worth for $80 as well as some other discounts for things like movie tix etc. Those alone pay for my membership each year.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
What is the big flipping deal. For those that like Costco, and the convience of shopping there and what they have to offer, people will continue to pay their fees, even with the addition of $5.00.

What do you think is going to happen, when times are tough as these, prices are raised. business is not the same as usual when the economy takes a nose dive.

Everything is going to get raised. Food is up, consumer goods are up, i shop so much online, and make deals online with the person in charge, no deal, no buying, and hate to say it, yes i always get my way. Don't ask for a deal, how can you get one, i ask everyone, no matter what it is i buy, furniture, to outside goods. And yes i just got a deal on 15 queen anne palms for my yard,, they are already 20 ft tall, and full got them for $20 a piece, that is a deal better then Lowes and Home Depot, and makes theirs look sickly. Even my landscaper who saw them, said boy these are very nice trees, and you stole them, they are full, and very healthy.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Costco to raise membership fees by $5 - will Americans riot??

Did Americans riot when Netflix raised their rates by up to 60%?

No...

Are they going to riot over a $5 increase?

No...

If they are not rioting over their money paying for illegal aliens going to American colleges they sure as heck ain't going to riot over an increase in their Costco membership dues...

Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I don't know--but I thought it was funny when people were ready to riot after Netflix said they'd raise their rates by about $5, considering in the old days it cost about $3-5 to rent one movie for just a few days as opposed to multiple movies over a month for $15.

Though people are just angry that every company seems to be raising fees or adding new fees constantly these days. Every company is padding their profit margins with a few additional fees. Americans are just at a breaking point these days...

$5 a month = $60 a year

$5 a year = $5 a year...

not apples to apples.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:48 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I was once a member to Costco, till I realized it was a scam. Why should I pay you to give you my business? Almost as bad as direct buy. The only drawback is that I can't buy my 3 gallon tub of peanut butter.
Costco has a thinner profit margin than just about anybody out there. You can easily get more than the membership fee back in just a couple trips. How is it a scam? If it doesn't work for you, that's fine, but it's not a scam. Works very well for many people. Corporations could learn a thing or 2 about how to treat employees from Costco. Dare I say, if every corporation in the country operated as Costco does, we wouldn't be in the economic mess we are in.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:55 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Costco has a thinner profit margin than just about anybody out there. You can easily get more than the membership fee back in just a couple trips. How is it a scam? If it doesn't work for you, that's fine, but it's not a scam. Works very well for many people. Corporations could learn a thing or 2 about how to treat employees from Costco. Dare I say, if every corporation in the country operated as Costco does, we wouldn't be in the economic mess we are in.
Well said!

I've no issue with an additonal $5.00 per year if it means their employees continue to get good pay and benefits.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 PM

44 posts, read 27,570 times
As an executive member, I get far more in rebates than my membership costs me. I was able to return a six month old product yesterday for a full refund. Using an AE card, I get a 4% rebate on gas purchases and rebates on store purchases, hotels, etc. I pay nothing for the credit card.

What's alarming to me is how quickly food prices have been jumping there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies