Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 07:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Those darn banks and businesses pushed for online statements and online payments.
That saves them money.

I guess now that so many are doing it they figure they can make an extra buck or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 07:45 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those darn banks and businesses pushed for online statements and online payments.
That saves them money.

I guess now that so many are doing it they figure they can make an extra buck or two.
Ah yes...you just reminded me .....and on New Years Day and a Sunday at that, I just paid a bill.Took all of 2 minutes and cost nothing extra.

Damn those banks/businesses that pushed for all that online crap!

Old 01-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Ah yes...you just reminded me .....and on New Years Day and a Sunday at that, I just paid a bill.Took all of 2 minutes and cost nothing extra.

Damn those banks/businesses that pushed for all that online crap!
Yes, online is way more convenient and even saves us money too in envelopes and stamps and checks.

But, if they are going to start this fee crap then I'm going to go back to paper. Let them hire people to open the envelopes and manually enter my payment into their system and send that check to the bank to be deposited and then wait for the money to hit their account.

Online is a boon to them and if they are not careful they will kill the goose laying the golden egg. They always seem to want more, more, more.

Be happy with the savings and look for other ways to generate revenue.
Tacking on fees is the lazy, easy way out for increased revenue.

I'm glad the backlash so far to these companies was great enough for them to back down. Means Americans are not just sitting there taking it.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
What's wrong with "auto-pay". I have ALL my bills set up this way. I never miss a payment thanks to this great feature. I have not written an actual check in over 5 years.
I havent cut a check in 5 years either, its called online banking, let them pay by ebt, but that doesnt mean I dont want the choice as to when to pay them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's only under certain payment options. Just sign up for recurring payments and you'll be fine. It's not like you don't intend to pay your bill....
Whats wrong with having the choice as to HOW to pay the bill? I refuse to pay extra just to give someone my money.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:32 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
It's only under certain payment options. Just sign up for recurring payments and you'll be fine. It's not like you don't intend to pay your bill....
I will NEVER sign up for auto-pay with any company! Too much risk. I'm not giving any company that sort of access to my bank account. And I've read too many horror stories of auto-pay continuing when the service has been canceled. I read a cringe inducing review for a gym where, even moths after the reviewer canceled her membership, the gym was pulling money from her account. That person had to cancel that bank account to make it stop. If you cancel your Verizon service, can you be 100% sure that payments will stop? Sure, maybe 99% of the time, there will be no issue, but god help you if you fall into that 1%! You may find yourself canceling credit cards and/or bank accounts to get them off your back. I'm fine w/ one time payments or even mailed in checks.

Last edited by eevee; 01-01-2012 at 10:46 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I can bluntly say you don't know what you're talking about. This is the way it was before the "financial reform". The banks charged the merchants a percentage and then passed it onto the consumer in one price you paid at the register, grnated it was hidden and even those paying cash paid it since very few retailers other than maybe some gas stations broke it down.

The $5 BOA wanted to charge was their attempt to recoup these lost revenues exposing the costs to the consumer and because of the backlash they dropped it. That's why I support it and would suggest it didn't go far enough because some credit unions are exempt.........

This is one reason why it's so wrong to have government telling businesses how to price their products. Government should NEVER tell business what prices they can charge, what profits they can make, what hours they can operate and what products they can sell.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:12 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
who screwed us really?

the government did-- by socializing the losses on the backs of all of us.

if not for the actions of the government, it COULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED.

they would have failed, and better banks/businesses would have taken their place.

thank your leaders next time they leave their gated communities.

Perfect!

Government interfering with the markets almost always results in poorer products and services or higher prices or both.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Whats wrong with having the choice as to HOW to pay the bill? I refuse to pay extra just to give someone my money.
Nothing.... They give you choices to avoid paying the fee....

Old 01-01-2012, 05:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I will NEVER sign up for auto-pay with any company! Too much risk. I'm not giving any company that sort of access to my bank account. And I've read too many horror stories of auto-pay continuing when the service has been canceled. I read a cringe inducing review for a gym where, even moths after the reviewer canceled her membership, the gym was pulling money from her account. That person had to cancel that bank account to make it stop. If you cancel your Verizon service, can you be 100% sure that payments will stop? Sure, maybe 99% of the time, there will be no issue, but god help you if you fall into that 1%! You may find yourself canceling credit cards and/or bank accounts to get them off your back. I'm fine w/ one time payments or even mailed in checks.
You can use a credit card to mitigate risk. I'd never use a bank account to pay a utility bill..

Old 01-01-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
You can use a credit card to mitigate risk. I'd never use a bank account to pay a utility bill..
I use a CC for any online payments and use paper (statement with a mailed in check) to pay my CC. No auto-anything from my bank account. I've read enough stories to not even take a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies