Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 01:47 PM

722 posts, read 1,329,729 times

Advertisements

Ive been noticing a lot of Iraqi Freedom / Afghanistan vets with missing limbs, disfigurement, blinded, in public and some wear ball caps with Iraqi Freedom veteran on the front.

Has the war in Iraq / Afghanistan become an unpopular war? kind of like VN

since there really hasnt been any Victory? they still have problems as soon as the US forces left the country.

reminds me of when the PAVN rolled into Saigon in 1975 after US forces went home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 02:45 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
Most people are real TIRED of Washington sending our young men/women over to some foreign country to put their lives on the line for people that cannot take care of themselves and are huge WIMPS to boot.

This has happened all too often and is continuing into Syria via Drones and air strikes.

Why is it a must for other countries to be Democratic society as the US.....they have their own ideas and customs that we (US) need to keep our noses away from and mind our own beeswax.

Now the Muslims are starting to integrate into Germany, Austria, France etc as an excuse for asylum while it is a ploy to monopolize their ideology over Europe.

As the saying goes......"you ain't seen nothing yet".

Old 09-09-2015, 03:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Announcement: This forum is not to be used for political arguments. Use Politics and Other Controversies forum instead.
So hang on, here we go...

Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
Ive been noticing a lot of Iraqi Freedom / Afghanistan vets with missing limbs, disfigurement, blinded, in public and some wear ball caps with Iraqi Freedom veteran on the front.

since there really hasnt been any Victory? they still have problems as soon as the US forces left the country.

reminds me of when the PAVN rolled into Saigon in 1975 after US forces went home.
I have yet to hear a single person talk badly about the veterans of the recent wars. It is the polar opposite of how Vietnam veterans were treated. People learned they barked at the wrong tree 40 years ago.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:59 PM

595 posts, read 368,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have yet to hear a single person talk badly about the veterans of the recent wars. It is the polar opposite of how Vietnam veterans were treated. People learned they barked at the wrong tree 40 years ago.
Agree. The troops sent to fight in those wars were not the ones responsible for starting them, the politicians in Washington were.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:18 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
I was a kid when we left Vietnam. Tho I've NOT heard or seen anything bad being thrown at our vets from our 12st Century "wars". Politicians: hell yeah, but they asked for it.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:17 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
I would disagree with the OPs premise. As a nation, IMO we have improved and do respect our veterans. However...the elected officials that waste their lives trying to help other people, people not worthy of that sacrifice in most cases, is another story. Keeping our servicemen in Afghanistan just to protect the people from the Taliban and other primitive Islamic butchers, is not worth the life of ONE American serviceman or woman. Bring them home, leave the ME alone.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,319,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post

IRAQI FREEDOM Vet seems unpopular almost like VN vet?

In my mind there is absolutely no comparison between the Vietnam war and any war since then. I came of age during that time period and I remember it well.

I believe that the journalism today is perhaps a bit more...thoughtful; however still truthful, in what and how they present the American soldier's experience and involvement. BUT, unless there is a news 'leak' on a breaking story, the American public has to do their own research via the internet to discover the details and the "big picture" of what takes place throughout this world of ours.

Also, I do not recall American citizens greeting American soldiers (other than immediate family members or a 'Hero's welcome/Hometown parade) returning from the various wars of the last 30 years. Vastly different from the public reaction and subsequent treatment of the Vietnam Vets; no ticker tape parade for them, no sir.

Americans watched body bags leave Asia every evening on the nightly news in their living rooms; and woke up to their caskets arriving in the belly of aircraft carriers on U.S. soil via their morning newspaper and coffee. LBJ's administration increased U.S. commitment to the war and the result was the growth of the peace movement which was anything but 'peaceful'.

Maybe you have a different perspective and I would certainly be interested and willing to hear about it. In the meantime, if you're interested...the tip of the iceberg lies below.

U.S. History - The Antiwar Movement

When the war in Vietnam began, many Americans believed that defending South Vietnam from communist aggression was in the national interest. Communism was threatening free governments across the globe. Any sign of non-intervention from the United States might encourage revolutions elsewhere.

The Antiwar Movement [ushistory.org]

The My Lai Massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

Website dedicated to the Vietnam war

http://thevietnamwar.info/vietnam-war-quotes/

Old 09-09-2015, 07:04 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Both pointless wars. Too bad the Iraqi vets didn't learn from Vietnam what tools they would be for the politicians special interests. And yet today there is no shortage of brainwashed youth wanting to enlist for the next pointless excursion that could get them killed or maimed for a corporate interest.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Both pointless wars. Too bad the Iraqi vets didn't learn from Vietnam what tools they would be for the politicians special interests. And yet today there is no shortage of brainwashed youth wanting to enlist for the next pointless excursion that could get them killed or maimed for a corporate interest.
That word: "enlist". There's NO draft so, the dudes who've gone into the Service for the last 40 years are doing it by free will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies