Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Thanks for the reminder concerning why political discussions are often so pointless today.

The need for folks to feign indignation far outweighs critical discussion and analysis of issues.

Hopefully, this election cycle will further remind the "nanny stater's" why they are in retreat concerning issues like outlawing french fries in schools.

Revolutions can be very peaceful, and effective.
That's liberals... they like to twist your words around because they can't win in a straight argument... sometimes, I get tired of it and play their game... much to their disliking... but I am roll around laughing at their responses... because I am playing their game and they don't like it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 11:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
That's liberals... they like to twist your words around because they can't win in a straight argument... sometimes, I get tired of it and play their game... much to their disliking... but I am roll around laughing at their responses... because I am playing their game and they don't like it...
Really, what do french fries have to do with being liberal or conservative? And considering the shrieking conservatives would do if a liberal posted the above, I call hypocrisy.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:02 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Really, what do french fries have to do with being liberal or conservative? And considering the shrieking conservatives would do if a liberal posted the above, I call hypocrisy.
Yes, let's politicize a greasy, saturated fat laden french fry most likely made from a pesticide ridden potato. I suggest that anyone that has a problem with the subject of the OP and removing them from school lunch menus, protest by eating a pound of them on a daily basis.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
French fries are neither liberal and conservative... but they can tools of liberals for further control... Like Pink Floyd says, We don't want no thought control... shrieking? True enough on certain issues but it is lame to think that conservatives want more control than liberals do... I rather none have that control but it always seem, depending on who is the sitting president, one side always seem to exert too much control... more than they should... to me, that's just wrong... that is unless you are a liberal for liberal social issues or a conservative for social conservative issues... so yes, there is a lot of hypocrisy, forgive me if I call you liberal hypocrisy because there is a lot of that going around now... not so much conservative hypocrisy considering the sitting president is a democrat... mind you...

Old 10-09-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
French fries are neither liberal and conservative... but they can tools of liberals for further control... Like Pink Floyd says, We don't want no thought control... shrieking? True enough on certain issues but it is lame to think that conservatives want more control than liberals do... I rather none have that control but it always seem, depending on who is the sitting president, one side always seem to exert too much control... more than they should... to me, that's just wrong... that is unless you are a liberal for liberal social issues or a conservative for social conservative issues... so yes, there is a lot of hypocrisy, forgive me if I call you liberal hypocrisy because there is a lot of that going around now... not so much conservative hypocrisy considering the sitting president is a democrat... mind you...
Actually, the hypocrisy I was referring to is on CD: conservatives calling liberals all kinds of words, then "shrieking" when *some* liberals do the same to them.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:43 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Does everything have to be a left/right issue? Kids are too fat. I'm 100 percent in support of providing healthy food in cafeterias. Why would anyone not be?
Well...you know...Michelle Obama is for healthy eating!
On the other hand, Sarah Palin will make us s'mores!

You know it's just another political football, just a game everyone plays to score off on whoever they disagree with.
Kid's health is a family-type issue, it's nobody else's business what their kids eat.
Until it's time to pay for healthcare costs. Or the military needs to find somebody...anybody! who's fit enough to serve.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
When did they start serving fast food in public schools?
I went to Catholic schools. That was over 30 years ago. I did attend a public school in Newport News, VA for 4 months and they served actual food.

Flash forward to 2003... When interviewing schools, including local public, one of the things that horrified me was the garbage the public schools were feeding the kids. Beside the NCLB BS all public schools must follow to ensure every child is denied an education equally, it struck me as no surprise that all the kids were fat, stupid, and unhealthy after seeing their menu and noting the vending machines.

One side of me wants the government to stay out of it but the other has to ask which moron hired the moron who decided to put junk food on the menu.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:01 PM

764 posts, read 597,193 times
If the kids bring in fries or soda or whatever, and they get taken away, that's ridiculous. But if the schools want to take out the machines and serve healthier food, that's up to them...

Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
When did they start serving fast food in public schools? .
My son is 28 and they served fast food when he was in school I don't think they even cool meals here anymore, it's a shame.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
When did they start serving fast food in public schools?
I went to Catholic schools. That was over 30 years ago. I did attend a public school in Newport News, VA for 4 months and they served actual food.

Flash forward to 2003... When interviewing schools, including local public, one of the things that horrified me was the garbage the public schools were feeding the kids. Beside the NCLB BS all public schools must follow to ensure every child is denied an education equally, it struck me as no surprise that all the kids were fat, stupid, and unhealthy after seeing their menu and noting the vending machines.

One side of me wants the government to stay out of it but the other has to ask which moron hired the moron who decided to put junk food on the menu.
Some schools have vendors come in to the schools to sell fast food. That is not part of the school lunch program. Baked fries can be part of the school lunch program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies