Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:20 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Unprovoked? 3000 dead seems to be some provocation. Afghanistan was justified. The lack of WMDs notwithstanding, Iraq was justified. Iraq was acting as if the had WMD, we came to find out after the fact, to bluff Iran. If you think the Pakistanis were warm and fuzzy toward us prior to our killing Bin Laden, you would be wrong. Is all US intervention wise, nope. But given our strength, we show great restraint.
IMO opinion your views on the wars in the ME are in the minority. We are tired of being NeoConned into war in the Middle East. We no longer have the finances to be imperalists. We are broke and have been for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 PM

760 posts, read 685,545 times
Quote:
Afghanistan was justified. The lack of WMDs notwithstanding, Iraq was justified. Iraq was acting as if the had WMD, we came to find out after the fact, to bluff Iran.
United States of 'Merica - World Police! Taking care of other people while we cannot take care of our own! Dun dun dun DUUUUUN!

Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Good luck with that. You can't put un ring the bell. No matter how much Paulistas want to withdraw from the world, we can't. We need them, they need us. The US can remain sovereign, while being part of the world.
Wow, I've just been called a "Paulista", lil' old me who has always been led about by the nose by the GOP to vote for their establishement candidates.

I prefer the label of Constitutional Conservative if identity politics is your primary concern.

I guess you can name call if that is the only defense you have to our government and representatives having sacrificed this nation's moral courage and character. Your arguement would seem to be to stay the course on that same morally and economically bankrupt road.

No, we cannot "un-ring" the bell. However, once it has been discovered that our government has made some very bad errors of judgement should we not have enough character and moral responsibility to return to the high road instead of continuing down the path which leads our country further away from the freedoms and liberties upon which it was founded?

Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
United States of 'Merica - World Police! Taking care of other people while we cannot take care of our own! Dun dun dun DUUUUUN!
World police? My recollection of 9/11, and yours may be different, was we were attacked. So I guess in the sense that we are part of the world, your post may make some sense.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Wow, I've just been called a "Paulista", lil' old me who has always been led about by the nose by the GOP to vote for their establishement candidates.

I prefer the label of Constitutional Conservative if identity politics is your primary concern.

I guess you can name call if that is the only defense you have to our government and representatives having lost this nation's moral courage and character. Your arguement would seem to be to stay the course on that same morally and economically bankrupt road.

No, we cannot "un-ring" the bell. However, once it has been discovered that our government has made some very bad errors of judgement should we not have enough character and moral responsibility to return to the high road instead of continuing down the path which leads our country further away from the freedoms and liberties upon which it was founded?

Why do you view being called a Paulista as an insult?

I am not sure why you believe, accepting the fact that we need to be engaged with the world, means staying the course. As I think you know, I am a conservative so, of course I am in favor of a change in direction. Simply not the Paul direction.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
IMO opinion your views on the wars in the ME are in the minority. We are tired of being NeoConned into war in the Middle East. We no longer have the finances to be imperalists. We are broke and have been for some time.
I am not interested if my view is shared by the majority. However, I can assure you it much more mainstream than anything Paul is promoting. I have never viewed the US as imperialist, because it isn't. We are not, nor have we ever been interested in being an empire.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

I guess you can name call if that is the only defense you have to our government and representatives having sacrificed this nation's moral courage and character. Your arguement would seem to be to stay the course on that same morally and economically bankrupt road.

Hallalujah, we agree on something. Finally, and that was a well written response indeed. I think Shorebaby is the only person that I have not agreed with on any point, and that is because he always approaches things from a neocon perspective IMO.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
World police? My recollection of 9/11, and yours may be different, was we were attacked. So I guess in the sense that we are part of the world, your post may make some sense.
That was 10 years ago. We have lost more precious lives of our men and women in uniform overseas than those lost on 9/11. How long is long enough for vengance and retribution? What have we really done to protect the US soil? Have we secured our borders yet? Isn't this the first thing a nation under attack does, protect its own soil?

Why is it so difficult to recognize that the current actions and choices of our Commander-in-Chief make our nation less secure rather than more secure? We are insecure in our energy dependency, we are insecure with our national debt and economic recession/depression, and we are wearing out our physical defenses of human and machinery. We are repeating all the same mistakes we tricked the USSR into doing in the 1980's. Have we learned nothing from our mistakes or from history?

Old 10-08-2011, 01:32 PM

760 posts, read 685,545 times
Quote:
We were attacked by an ideology, not by a country. We've lost more men, woman, and money taking care of those **** poor countries than we lost in the big attack. Think of how we could have improved our own country with the rebuilding costs being thrown to the middle east. Hell with those wars.

iCasualties: Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Casualties
Cost of War to the United States | COSTOFWAR.COM

Worth it? No. Justified? Not a chance in hell.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I am not interested if my view is shared by the majority.
Well politicians should be, and the mainstream republican candidates are simply on the wrong side of this issue as compared to the general public. They are lucky they are going against Obama who seems to be on the same side of the line.

Christian fundamentalist long thought to be pro war in the Middle East have even soured on it, but apparently the GOP has not gotten the message. This is a great point for Paul to keep pounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies