Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:30 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times

Advertisements

Haven't the reforms they want already been passed by Democrats?

Do Wall Street Protestors Know What They're Protesting? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 01:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Haven't the reforms they want already been passed by Democrats?

Do Wall Street Protestors Know What They're Protesting? - YouTube
Before any of THEM figure out how to twist this one let me say that I surely do wonder about what all that was said there. However, we do know that the original protesters were mostly students who had been brainwashed by their professors and surely they weren't told that the regulations those banks work under were put on them by the Dems nearly 3 years ago.

I really got a kick out of those people talking about Geithner and Bernanke sympathizing with those protesters although it is the Fed they seem to be after most and Geithner did help work out the regulations banks operate under.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
I wonder if any of those protesters have ever heard about Frank - Dodd, or however it is written. I bet none of their professors ever explained that one to them.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder if any of those protesters have ever heard about Frank - Dodd, or however it is written. I bet none of their professors ever explained that one to them.
Haven spoken to a lot of them, few are very bright or knowledgeable, they are simply the bottom of society lashing out at the wrong targets.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
If anyone wants to see the whole show it will re air tonight(sat) at 11pm est.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:28 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Frank Dodd? That regulation is extremely watered down Glass Steagall, which ever since being killed by the likes of Senators Phil Gramm, Senator John McCain, and Bliley, the whole world economy has gone to crap.

I wonder what Phil Gramm is doing now after deregulating everything, leaving Congress for a job at a bank that ended up needing a huge bailout, and having the whole economy tank thereafter. His wife Wendy made out quite well after deregulating the energy markets after leaving the CFTC to go work for Enron when it was making filthy amounts of cash trading in the CA energy market after it was deregulated.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
The left has been pushing entitlement mentality politics followed up IMO by all the similar junk and other stuff the kids get by the teacher's unions in schools.
They are in some case clueless and have no idea of what a marketplace is or how the world works.

Rather than free markets they are talking economic and social justice which are the age old phrases used by communists.
This reminds me of Islam, where the Ayatollahs tell everyone to blame the West, meanwhile they never point at themselves as being responsible for the lousy world they live in. Very similar IMO.

We are also coming to the end of the road for all the free stuff. I can see us helping the old and massively disabled, but the rest won't be sustainable year after year anymore. When the entitlement minded get no more free stuff lots of cries for the old days will happen to no avail.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:39 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The left has been pushing entitlement mentality politics followed up IMO by all the similar junk and other stuff the kids get by the teacher's unions in schools.
They are in some case clueless and have no idea of what a marketplace is or how the world works.

Rather than free markets they are talking economic and social justice which are the age old phrases used by communists.
This reminds me of Islam, where the Ayatollahs tell everyone to blame the West, meanwhile they never point at themselves as being responsible for the lousy world they live in. Very similar IMO.

We are also coming to the end of the road for all the free stuff. I can see us helping the old and massively disabled, but the rest won't be sustainable year after year anymore.
LOL at anyone that thinks the markets are currently being operated under freedom. If that were true, why did the CFTC grant 19 secret exemptions to big banks like Goldman Sachs over the past 20 or so years to be exempt from hedging rules? Could it be because the CFTC has been constantly run by ex-Goldman Sachs members and other former big bank employees? How do you explain the prices of things like oil and food to gold going far beyond what would be determined by supply and demand (free markets). You don't even know what is really going on do you?

Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
LOL at anyone that thinks the markets are currently being operated under freedom. I think bloated government has gotten too involved in private sector business. They were supposed to do things like stop monopolies, insider trading and such, not make sure companies have UNIONS or to invade their business like Gibson for not donating to Democrats.If that were true, why did the CFTC grant 19 secret exemptions to big banks like Goldman Sachs over the past 20 or so years to be exempt from hedging rules? Wouldn't that again be government interference? Could it be because the CFTC has been constantly run by ex-Goldman Sachs members and other former big bank employees? How do you explain the prices of things like oil and food to gold going far beyond what would be determined by supply and demand (free markets). We were screwed with food when we decided corn was for fuel and not starving people. Made many areas cost more to eat. Then we had lots of flooded areas where farms are this year which also rose prices. Oil has too much connection to the world market and we would be far better selling to ourselves and allowing drilling at home. You don't even know what is really going on do you? Yes I do, the government makes hundreds more as a percentage in profit on a gallon of gas than the oil company does.
Other countries finance the free health care with gas which is why it is double most other places.
I've been around the block thank you. Seen more stupidity in government and by voters living in California than the rest of the country would ever dream of.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:59 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
any idiot and i mean idiot can get student loans and go to college today. that doesn't make them not idiots. just educated idiots. so now they owe a hundred grand and are unemployable idiots. no sympathy here. College is very valuable for serious students with determination and goals and they will suceed and work their way toward their goals. the rest think any degree will gaurentee a great high paying job. heck a plumber makes more than they ever will. but plumbers do real work these brats think is below them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies