Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 PM

57 posts, read 91,729 times

Advertisements

This discussion has lost its way, as have those who feel no compassion for the protesters, lumping them together and assuming the most radical among them represent the entire crowd. It's easy to forget how rich and powerful these corporations are, these kids have achieved something amazing already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:44 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti monster View Post
This discussion has lost its way, as have those who feel no compassion for the protesters, lumping them together and assuming the most radical among them represent the entire crowd. It's easy to forget how rich and powerful these corporations are, these kids have achieved something amazing already.
Amazing? Not really...they're mad because corporations aren't hiring them now...again, cannot understand why they're not going after the current administration. It's not the most radical among them, more the mentally unstable among them. I initially supported this movement until I encountered the ''occupations''. Tonight in Philly, there was a really pretentious ''teach-in'' going on; lots of philosophy and talk of Thoreau, very pretentious...intellectualizing about what the working class needs etc...the whole thing is pretentious and arrogant. Another guy suggested that instead of voting, representatives should be chosen randomly by socical security numbers with their jobs being guaranteed when their service is over...what is this a space colony or a condominum board meeting? I want the park in Philly cleared; not going to pay taxes for this nonsense...go out to the main line and pull this crap; they'll be closer to home anyway.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
What is the entire crowd, other than the most radical, representing?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Wow, some of you people are in no place to discuss any of this. Truly clueless and a little frightening. What the hell does race have to do with any of this? We are all Americans and America has the worst income disparity in its entire history right now and things continue to decline. There will be no middle class in 20 years if things aren't changed. At that point there will no longer be protests but riots. We are concerned about our future and our children's future and have every right to be. As they say, If you are not outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Closing The Hedge Fund Manager Tax Loophole Would Raise $4 Billion Annually From The 25 Richest Managers | ThinkProgress

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/op...stof.html?_r=1

Report: 25 Percent Of Millionaires Pay Lower Taxes Than 10.4 Million Middle-Class Americans | ThinkProgress

Alan Grayson: The Best 2 Minutes On Why We Should All #OccupyWallStreet | MoveOn.Org

http://front.moveon.org/this-powerfu...wPbrs.facebook

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 10-16-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 12:22 PM

57 posts, read 91,729 times
I concur, this nation's citizens have every right to be upset with business leaders and political leaders alike. Selling out American interests to China when there is no reciprocity, when the Chinese flagrantly steal American intellectual property and then manipulate their currency, this has nothing to do with corporate neutrality. This is corrupt leadership which needs to be confronted, and I am extremely glad for the people who are willing to take to the streets to express their discontent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Wow, some of you people have no place to discuss any of this. Truly clueless and a little frightening. What the hell does race have to do with any of this? We are all Americans and America has the worst income disparity in its entire history right now and things continue to decline. There will be no middle class in 20 years if things aren't changed. At that point there will no longer be protests but riots. We are concerned about our future and our children's future and have every right to be. As they say, If you are not outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Closing The Hedge Fund Manager Tax Loophole Would Raise $4 Billion Annually From The 25 Richest Managers | ThinkProgress

Report: 25 Percent Of Millionaires Pay Lower Taxes Than 10.4 Million Middle-Class Americans | ThinkProgress

Alan Grayson: The Best 2 Minutes On Why We Should All #OccupyWallStreet | MoveOn.Org

This Powerful Clip Is Exactly Why We Support #OccupyWallStreet | MoveOn.Org

Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Amazing? Not really...they're mad because corporations aren't hiring them now...again, cannot understand why they're not going after the current administration. .
We are not going against the current administration because we are going against the entire corporately intertwined two-party system. It has proven to fail time and time again. The economic crash began with Reagonomics and deregulation in the late 80's and continued to worsen to where we are today. And please stop with your generalizations-I am a recent college graduate that has student loans that I pay every month, a full time job with benefits, I own my own home and I am still in agreement with the fundamentals of the protest.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 10-16-2011 at 12:52 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
We are not going against the current administration because we are going against the entire corporately intertwined two-party system. It has proven to fail time and time again. The economic crash began with Reagonomics and deregulation in the late 80's and continued to worsen to where we are today. And please stop with your generalizations-I am a recent college graduate that has student loans that I pay every month, a full time job with benefits, I own my own home and I am still in agreement with the fundamentals of the protest.
But your not at the protest...go to one and you will hear all kinds of off-the-wall talk from total whack-a-doodle...I supported it until I stopped by at the NYC and Philly ones.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
They're not going against the current administration because the HOPE of '08 has become the NOPE '12 and he's a democratic black man...these ''ocupations'' you'll hear all about slavery, how blacks do what they do because of oppression etc...from white kids from middle to upper middle class backgrounds...

Old 10-16-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I concur, this nation's citizens have every right to be upset with business leaders and political leaders alike. Selling out American interests to China when there is no reciprocity, when the Chinese flagrantly steal American intellectual property and then manipulate their currency, this has nothing to do with corporate neutrality. This is corrupt leadership which needs to be confronted, and I am extremely glad for the people who are willing to take to the streets to express their discontent.
Pressure Obama and Congress to stop corporations from doing this...

Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Wow, some of you people are in no place to discuss any of this. Truly clueless and a little frightening. What the hell does race have to do with any of this? We are all Americans and America has the worst income disparity in its entire history right now and things continue to decline. There will be no middle class in 20 years if things aren't changed. At that point there will no longer be protests but riots. We are concerned about our future and our children's future and have every right to be. As they say, If you are not outraged, you aren't paying attention.

This Powerful Clip Is Exactly Why We Support #OccupyWallStreet | MoveOn.Org
Believe me, I said the same thing at the Philly protest when a contingent of blacks separated themselves and were voting on whether or not to let white people into their section/forum...of course I pointed out that something like this can't be voted on in a public space...kicked out? They were actually going to exclude white people from their section of the park....go back to West or North Philly and take these white kids with you. Black people brought race into it, who else do think did or would?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies