Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 12:57 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
They moved into my neighborhood...
I am real close by and can either walk or bike through there within a coupe of minutes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti monster View Post
If the protesters in Philadelphia are just another homeless camp then they should be dispersed. If the conditions are unsafe for children then I hope the police take notice and arrest the kid. I thought Philadelphia implemented a curfew. It is quite clear that the Wall Street protesters are the ones in the media's lens and not so much protesters in other cities unless arrests occur. This thread has really acted as a political litmus test, I think it is regrettable that it has come to resemble the comment section on foxnews.com, what is it with conservatives being full of hate and entertaining violent fantasies? I hope you are not serious about the Flash Mobs, it is in very poor taste.
It is turning into a homeless camp of sorts...Flash Mob comment: a joke!! If you're referring to me as being a conservative, then maybe because, as a taxpayer, I don't want to be paying for this ''protest'' that is devolving into a homeless shelter (this plaza area is due for reconstruction on November 15) I am. What's going to happen when the park has to be cleared? Are the police going to be attacked by the protesters and the liberal media (MSNBC)? Do you really think the police can go in and arrest anyone in this mob without an incident? Police cannot enter this area...welcome to the People's Republic of Philadelphia.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:52 AM

240 posts, read 557,847 times
So what if homeless people are taking advantage of the situation? That isn't just in Philly, that is in many cities where the Occupy movement is happening. You aren't footing the bill for the food they have, so why can't the homeless enjoy it as well.

I mean I agree, I do think it's out of control and I think it's also detrimental to the everyday life of other people in the city.

And I don't like that they're making banks into a sort of picket line situation.

And I really really don't like that they're calling for students to walk out of their classes.

But I think it's great that the homeless are benefiting from this.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:07 PM

443 posts, read 877,622 times
I'm no extremist, but I believe this movement is clearly doing the right thing. It is messed up the way corporate interests have bought our democracy and have been able to $persuade$ politicians into making decisions that help them but hurt the majority of people.

I don't agree with all the sidebar causes being championed at these protests necessarily, but I think anyone with a working brain should be able to see our system is messed up - and it's not about "government spending", it's about corporate interests completely taking over our government - including Bush and Obama.

By the way, I'm not anti-business or anti-capitalism at all. I'm anti- allowing major corporations to make all the big decisions for their own narrow self-interest. That's not a free democracy at all - it's a system that is rigged for a narrow segment of the population to succeed while the majority flounders (Note the disappearance of the middle class over the last couple of decades as proof).

So, yeah, I support their presence and their general message. I hope they can become more organized and make their points in a way that doesn't negatively affect other people's lives, but at this point I'm all behind them.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:10 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,944 times
i work right next to the occupy DC crowd. it's disgusting. they're ruining a perfectly nice park

Old 10-21-2011, 12:35 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
This thread has taken on a political slant, which considering the topic isn't a big surprise. It's being moved to the Politics forum.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voilalaura View Post
So what if homeless people are taking advantage of the situation? That isn't just in Philly, that is in many cities where the Occupy movement is happening. You aren't footing the bill for the food they have, so why can't the homeless enjoy it as well.

I mean I agree, I do think it's out of control and I think it's also detrimental to the everyday life of other people in the city.

And I don't like that they're making banks into a sort of picket line situation.

And I really really don't like that they're calling for students to walk out of their classes.

It was a homeless park before the occupiers...and I am footing the bill for the police overtime however. Also, many mentally unstable people are in the mix there and I know, first hand, that there have been thefts and at least one sexual assault in Philly. A teenager was raped at the Cleveland occupation...all bad things; also, the cities will be held responsible if one of these white rich-kids gets hurt or killed at one of these occupations. The Philly park is due for reconstruction on November 15...should be interesting.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:

There are plenty of social services available to the homeless in many cities already...

Old 10-21-2011, 05:32 PM

240 posts, read 557,847 times
I disagree.

I don't think the city should be held responsible for anything that happens to the people there (unless of course it is inflicted the city), but if there are already people there and the food is being donated and the shelter is being donated and the environment is generally friendly, then homeless people should be allowed to join in on that.

You may think there are a lot of services to help the homeless, but there isn't, or they aren't offering the kind of help that the homeless really need.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I disagree.

I don't think the city should be held responsible for anything that happens to the people there (unless of course it is inflicted the city), but if there are already people there and the food is being donated and the shelter is being donated and the environment is generally friendly, then homeless people should be allowed to join in on that.

You may think there are a lot of services to help the homeless, but there isn't, or they aren't offering the kind of help that the homeless really need.
The city shouldn't be held responsible but will be once one of these white kids gets hurt etc...daddy will get a lawyer on the city by the next day. Let the homeless in, no problem, and let the protesters deal with them...I don't think these kids know what they're dealing with regarding some of the homeless.

Last edited by Kamms; 10-21-2011 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies