Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:56 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times

Advertisements

Just drove by the Occupy Philly camp this morning. It's big. I read that protesters are starting to gather worldwide. Hundreds today could turn into thousands tomorrow. Maybe this really is the calm before the storm, or maybe it's the moment 'change' took root.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:01 AM

57 posts, read 91,729 times
New York still in the news every day and every move they make is in the news, plus the lawyers and politicians are all gathered there, they know it's a big deal and something is going to go down. It is going to happen in New York, whatever this whole movement comes to.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:14 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
I am honestly still somewhat confused by what the premis is. What is the desired outcome...

To me the movement seems strong on logistics and light on content and throwing a lot against the wall hoping for something to stick.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:28 AM

57 posts, read 91,729 times
Maybe everybody out there in the tents are confused, but maybe the answers to those questions really can be crowd sourced because there is clearly something wrong out there and I don't think it's coincidence we have seen protests around the world this year, we have our own oppression in this country and maybe people want to know what the source of that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I am honestly still somewhat confused by what the premis is. What is the desired outcome...

To me the movement seems strong on logistics and light on content and throwing a lot against the wall hoping for something to stick.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:37 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti monster View Post
Maybe everybody out there in the tents are confused, but maybe the answers to those questions really can be crowd sourced because there is clearly something wrong out there and I don't think it's coincidence we have seen protests around the world this year, we have our own oppression in this country and maybe people want to know what the source of that is.

Well with a world economy in bad shape their some sense of a common theme, potentially even cause but this is not a new phenomenon.

My persoanl challenge with the protestors is their whoa is me attitude without offering up a solution nor a commitment for themselves to work hard to fix it. It seems more a blame others and have them fix it attitude. Now i am generalizing but outside of logistics as i stated earlier I am failing to see a uniqueness nor exectution and commitment of such by the participants.

I am not looking for some magic bullet on economic or fiscal application but somehow to me this lacks a cohesive substance, like a modern day be-in so-to-speak and instead of make love not war it appears stop corporate greed and pay my bills that I made a conscious choice to take on. There very well may come good out of this and that isnt my point, but I keep trying to figure out what is the point of this movement. I am failing to see a tangibility

Old 10-15-2011, 10:00 AM

815 posts, read 1,858,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well with a world economy in bad shape their some sense of a common theme, potentially even cause but this is not a new phenomenon.

My persoanl challenge with the protestors is their whoa is me attitude without offering up a solution nor a commitment for themselves to work hard to fix it. It seems more a blame others and have them fix it attitude. Now i am generalizing but outside of logistics as i stated earlier I am failing to see a uniqueness nor exectution and commitment of such by the participants.

I am not looking for some magic bullet on economic or fiscal application but somehow to me this lacks a cohesive substance, like a modern day be-in so-to-speak and instead of make love not war it appears stop corporate greed and pay my bills that I made a conscious choice to take on. There very well may come good out of this and that isnt my point, but I keep trying to figure out what is the point of this movement. I am failing to see a tangibility
Yeah... the global economy is effecting everywhere, we are adjusting to globalization. If unemployment was lower you wouldn't be seeing this, they wouldn't be complaining about people being rich. Personally, I don't see anything wrong at all with rich people. And these same people praise Warren Buffet and Steve Jobs on one hand paying for internet connections, cell phone plans, new iphones, yet get mad at the more faceless bankers on the other? How do they think these people they supposedly look up to made their money??? Trust me, these public CEO's they look up to are more cut throat, more egotistical, maniacal and greedy than the people they are protesting against which are often just hard working folks who took the right steps, went to HYPCS, (Harvard, Yale, Penn, Chicago, Stanford) and now are just reaping the rewards. Many were busting their a$$ on homework when they were 10 while a bunch of these protesters weren't doing anything. I just don't see many truly intelligent people out protesting, it's more of an 'everyman', 'populist' movement...leaves a distaste in my mouth, even though I'm not rich myself or a top earner, I know many people that are and yes, they are generally much more intelligent and harder workers than your average person. Populism and community hard work efforts are just against my thoughts altogether. I'm much more of the belief that a few true genius individuals have impacted change in the world, and putting restraints on them is not the way to go. Populism never got us very far. You want to see the efforts of all these economic policies they are proposing? Just take a look at Michigan, they were preaching the same thing in the 70s.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 10-15-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 10:03 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Occupy Wallstreet scene= typical day in Boulder Colorado...I love how the hippiecrits in this town leap out of their Range Rovers and protest corporate greed and so called populace agenda. One of the few cities I know where an endangered native snail population has held up construction on multi million dollar loft condo projects.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Occupy Wallstreet scene= typical day in Boulder Colorado...I love how the hippiecrits in this town leap out of their Range Rovers and protest corporate greed and so called populace agenda. One of the few cities I know where an endangered native snail population has held up construction on multi million dollar loft condo projects.
I prefer calling them trustafarians.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:33 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
I think it's more than just 'trustafarians' attending protests, then again denver has a practically legal marijuana so I think it attracts a lot of them.
. [/b][/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
I prefer calling them trustafarians.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I think it's more than just 'trustafarians' attending protests
. [/b][/b]
Oh, I know, I was talking about the range roving driving kids who swing up to whole foods with dreadlocks... You'll see them all around Boulder. It's more of a west coast thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies