Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 02:04 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,970,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
We are not going against the current administration because we are going against the entire corporately intertwined two-party system. It has proven to fail time and time again. The economic crash began with Reagonomics and deregulation in the late 80's and continued to worsen to where we are today. And please stop with your generalizations-I am a recent college graduate that has student loans that I pay every month, a full time job with benefits, I own my own home and I am still in agreement with the fundamentals of the protest.
This protest is disorganized with vague goals....if you read my posts, I supported it as well. With your credentials of paying your bills, with a job/benefits and you own a home, you will feel ostracized by these people (the young white ''revolutionaries", especially if you're white...no questioning. Owning a home and having a job means you're exploiting someone else to get what you have...please go to the Philly protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
That's all you see in these protests, an outstretched hand? Sheesh.
That's all I've experienced first hand, in person at these protests. I live close by so, now that white kids have moved into the otherwise off-limits homeless park, last night I walked through...stopped by an ''urban'' guy trying to hustle me for money about how he works for an agency on the verge of placing several families in housing tomorrow and they need money...the most distracting part of this was the strong and gross smell of alcohol on his breath...say, I do kinda only see an outstretched because that's all I've seen first-hand. Doesn't sound like anyone else posting has actually spent time at one of the ''occupations'' other than me.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Wow, some of you people are in no place to discuss any of this. Truly clueless and a little frightening. What the hell does race have to do with any of this? We are all Americans and America has the worst income disparity in its entire history right now and things continue to decline. There will be no middle class in 20 years if things aren't changed. At that point there will no longer be protests but riots. We are concerned about our future and our children's future and have every right to be. As they say, If you are not outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Closing The Hedge Fund Manager Tax Loophole Would Raise $4 Billion Annually From The 25 Richest Managers | ThinkProgress

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/op...stof.html?_r=1

Report: 25 Percent Of Millionaires Pay Lower Taxes Than 10.4 Million Middle-Class Americans | ThinkProgress

Alan Grayson: The Best 2 Minutes On Why We Should All #OccupyWallStreet | MoveOn.Org

This Powerful Clip Is Exactly Why We Support #OccupyWallStreet | MoveOn.Org
In a nut-shell, you're white, you can't complain and you will be discounted by the white ''revolution'' people...

Old 10-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Honestly it depends what city you're in... that describes San Francisco's to a T but the one in Oakland couldn't be more different.

But sadly that also describes the politicians... the vast majority of politicians don't have a clue what issues their constituency actually deals with... they're just talking heads.
Oakland vs. San Francisco is a great example; always has been - hippies in SF panthers in Oakland. Of course, the white ''revolutionaires'' aren't going over to Oakland; its too black and scary for them.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Oakland vs. San Francisco is a great example; always has been - hippies in SF panthers in Oakland. Of course, the white ''revolutionaires'' aren't going over to Oakland; its too black and scary for them.
what's going on in Berkeley?; the third location that made the Bay Area of the '60s the ground zero of that decade: the student radicals.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:41 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,817,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post

You're right, not too many of the people doing the protests in SF would likely be caught alive in the Oakland one. However, you'd be surprised... the white population in Oakland overwhelmingly sides with blacks on social issues, as do asians and hispanics. Oakland is an anomaly of sorts...

here's a couple pictures I took of the first day of the protest in Oakland:

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7404/img6025p.jpg (broken link)

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1026/img6028u.jpg (broken link)

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/9496/img6036n.jpg (broken link)

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/9449/img6041x.jpg (broken link)

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4219/img6063j.jpg (broken link)

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/1042/img6055y.jpg (broken link)

Here's the full set I did:

Downtown Oakland Occupied - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 10-16-2011, 04:11 PM

[quote=Nineties Flava;21310031]You're right, not too many of the people doing the protests in SF would likely be caught alive in the Oakland one. However, you'd be surprised... the white population in Oakland overwhelmingly sides with blacks on social issues, as do asians and hispanics. Oakland is an anomaly of sorts...
That looks like a great, diverse crowd...I especially like the ages of the crowd...young to old, white-black etc....not like that at Dilworth Plaza in Philly.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:22 PM

8,237 posts, read 23,197,340 times
What a bunch of losers. As Herman Cain said, if you're not rich blame yourself.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:54 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,635,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti monster View Post
This discussion has lost its way, as have those who feel no compassion for the protesters, lumping them together and assuming the most radical among them represent the entire crowd. It's easy to forget how rich and powerful these corporations are, these kids have achieved something amazing already.
I haven't been here for a bit, but I think one problem I had was asking about "vibrant scene" in connection with this. Things like that I think do make it seem trivial, like it's mostly just a way for people to hang out together. And some things the protesters do or say make it seem a bit trivial too.

Also what is it that the people want to be to done to the top 1%? And do they have reason to think that would help them? The Tea-Party people I don't think have succeeded in making the lives of small businesses that much better and they haven't repealed "Obamacare." Why would OWS be more successful in their, quite different or opposite, goals?

Old 10-16-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
What a bunch of losers. As Herman Cain said, if you're not rich blame yourself.
That's an issue as well...jealousy? The response I got as what's wrong with people having wealth or money is that someone has been exploited for you to make money...ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies