Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I am skeptical of this claim because if you do work for a big corporation, as you claim, this would be grounds for harassment and there are laws against that.
I couldn't make this stuff up--it would never occur to me. And I can tell you that the intimidation was not NEARLY as bad when I worked for government, or in small business, as it was in Big Business. In government, we still had to sign a paper which went to our bosses and then up the line, showing our level of contributions (and I don't think that is right AT ALL), but there was no subtle or outright demand that we contribute. In the two large businesses I have ever worked for, the expectation was not subtle at all--it was an outright (non written) statement that you'd BETTER contribute and you'd better contribute PLENTY if you expected to get a promotion or even keep your job when the next layoff came around.

Frankly, it baffles me--which is why I am asking WHY it is so important to business leaders that they force their employees to give up money to United Way.

And laws? Be serious. The business can always claim that your lack of promotion, or your inclusion in the next layoff, was just due to "poor performance." Big Business has legal departments that make sure they cannot be sued for stuff like this. The company will know EXACTLY what it can and cannot do.

Laws only matter if the business can be proven to have broken one--and it will NEVER be that clear, even though everyone who works for the business knows they will pay dearly for not paying the EXPECTED AMOUNT of United Way contributions (in my company, a supervisory job requires at LEAST the "Leadership Level" contribution of $1,000).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:13 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So, donate $1.

20yrsinBranson
Not allowed--it's been tried.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
You're stories sound terrible. I'm self employed, so I don't pressure myself. However, my wife gets this but she gives nothing every year. But she also gets regular solicitations from the hospital she works for to contribute to certain funds that the hospital uses to purchase equipment. I'm always stunned how many give to a business to subsidize its operation. Its technically a non profit, but that's just a tax classification. The profits go to the Catholic church.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:48 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
I would tell my employer I would be willing to donate my time for something like Wounded Warrior, Special Olympics, or a charity walk. That way I would at least feel like I contributed and not worry that the money they extorted from me likely benefitted the charity very little.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:57 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
This is one of the perplexing conundrums that comes around every year, and I can't figure out what's behind it. It's about the United Way, and the strong-arm tactics employers use to force employees to contribute.

My employer is a large and typically cut-throat Big Business. It does NOTHING for charitable reasons, and the employees themselves are worked to death while losing more and more of their compensation every year in cost-shifting of benefits. The corporation is so tight with money that when it keeps people working 24 to 36 hours straight on a "plant emergency," it won't even subsidize meals (the managers generally pay for meals for the team out of their own pockets). In order to circumvent labor hour laws, we are "off the clock" (unpaid) for anything over regular hours--which is "legal" since we're "exempt employees."

Every year the United Way drive comes up, and employees are blackmailed into participating. If you don't participate at all, you WILL be laid off in the annual reviews, no matter WHAT your job level or performance (yes, it happened more than once). The higher up, the more money you are expected to contribute, and for those of us in our peak earning years, the amount is VERY painful. Especially when you have your own charities that you like to support directly, and you don't approve of the United Way.

My question is this (and I ask this to those who have INSIDER KNOWLEDGE): What does the employer (the Big Business) get out of the United Way Campaign? It is NOT just goodwill, since this corporation has none, and could care less how people view it. Is it a direct payment to the greedy CEO and his top-level executives? Is it simply a power play, that the Narcissistic executives get a power-kick from forcing employees to give up their very hard earned money? Or does it have something to do with the fact that the corporations get to charge the employees bi-weekly, while only handing money over to United Way once or twice a year (a tactic used by UPS to get large amounts of interest on money that belongs to clients?)?
I agree. I've been on the receiving end of the strong arming regarding donation.

Funny. Are those corporations donating the percentage of profits they are demanding from their employees?

Old 01-01-2014, 10:54 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I couldn't make this stuff up--it would never occur to me. And I can tell you that the intimidation was not NEARLY as bad when I worked for government, or in small business, as it was in Big Business. In government, we still had to sign a paper which went to our bosses and then up the line, showing our level of contributions (and I don't think that is right AT ALL), but there was no subtle or outright demand that we contribute. In the two large businesses I have ever worked for, the expectation was not subtle at all--it was an outright (non written) statement that you'd BETTER contribute and you'd better contribute PLENTY if you expected to get a promotion or even keep your job when the next layoff came around.

Frankly, it baffles me--which is why I am asking WHY it is so important to business leaders that they force their employees to give up money to United Way.

And laws? Be serious. The business can always claim that your lack of promotion, or your inclusion in the next layoff, was just due to "poor performance." Big Business has legal departments that make sure they cannot be sued for stuff like this. The company will know EXACTLY what it can and cannot do.

Laws only matter if the business can be proven to have broken one--and it will NEVER be that clear, even though everyone who works for the business knows they will pay dearly for not paying the EXPECTED AMOUNT of United Way contributions (in my company, a supervisory job requires at LEAST the "Leadership Level" contribution of $1,000).
We had some in our department who outright REFUSED to contribute to UW, and they had a "Wall of Shame" on the bullentin board where they posted their names - they also printed the names in the monthly newsletter. One of those savvy people reported it to the Union Steward, who made the United Way flunkies take down the "Wall of Shame" and leave those folks alone. By the way - no one thought ill of those who wouldn't contribute, so they had nothing to be ashamed of. They were admired for having "guts". I wish I'd had guts - I did donate my token dollar.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-01-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 09:00 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,635 times
Well, they've only had three CEO's do prison time, that should tell you something.

The money you give goes to kickback schemes and huge bonuses, not people in need.
If you give them a buck, less than a nickel would trickle down to some poor needy sap.
The rest gets skimmed off by professional crooks including your employer.

Don't even get me started on CFC or Red Cross

Old 01-01-2014, 10:03 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
Well, they've only had three CEO's do prison time, that should tell you something.

The money you give goes to kickback schemes and huge bonuses, not people in need.
If you give them a buck, less than a nickel would trickle down to some poor needy sap.
The rest gets skimmed off by professional crooks including your employer.

Don't even get me started on CFC or Red Cross
It would be nice if there was a way to publicly shame these business's that empower this practice.
Is there a list of companies that strong arm their employees in regards to this?

We are told the consumer decides everything in the markets (BS of course) so shouldn't we empower the consumer even more with this information "openly and freely"

Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
When I was working (retired now) my employer did the same thing. They strong armed/shamed you into participating. I found that I could choose what charities I wanted to donate to under this program and which ones I did not. It gave me peace of mind that I wasn't contributing to a group whose views/ agendas I didn't agree with and which ones I thought were reputable and were actually serving the people I wanted to help.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,635 times
UW usually is only interested in huge organizations, large corporations, counties, GOVT agencies etc. They go after the CEOs and offer trips, a kickback percentage, bonus for "100% participation etc." CFC works the same way. That's where the money you donate actually goes. That, and hiring mistresses, hush money etc. You usually won't see it in a small company because it isn't worth their time. The CEO's, County comissioners, mayors etc who boast of "100% contribution" or nearly 100% usually see kickbacks and gifts much larger than their salaries and this is what has resulted in the prison terms for William Aramony, Oral Suer, Normal Taylor (charges later dropped in exchange for cooperation and wearing a wire), Gary Phillips III, and I forget the mistress that killed herself in federal prison. This is one top notch charity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies