Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 PM

306 posts, read 883,538 times

Advertisements

I read today that RDU already has body scanners installed and being used. I was wondering if anyone here has seen/experienced this yet? I haven't flown in the past couple of months. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 02:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
I saw something on the news that CHARLOTTE was implemeting them, but didn't see anything about RDU. I'm all for them if they'll make the security process both faster and more accurate.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:10 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I saw something on the news that CHARLOTTE was implemeting them, but didn't see anything about RDU. I'm all for them if they'll make the security process both faster and more accurate.
If you believe the scanners are going to make things better you too can line up to take your picture. I will not go through it. They can pat me down. Sorry but its all BS!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:15 PM

Yes, I know about Charlotte. The list I read also had RDU on it, which is why I started this thread - to see if anyone has seen them there and if the list is accurate.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:27 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
Yes, I know about Charlotte. The list I read also had RDU on it, which is why I started this thread - to see if anyone has seen them there and if that is accurate.
It's been there since the new Terminal opened but I have never seen it being used - maybe they never got it to work. To be effective they will require two or three machines just to cope with the volume of people at busy periods.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
It's been there since the new Terminal opened but I have never seen it being used - maybe they never got it to work. To be effective they will require two or three machines just to cope with the volume of people at busy periods.
Thanks!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,418 times
having said that it's possible that it is used at times when I am not at the airport which I only use roughly once a month

Old 03-06-2010, 05:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,582,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
If you believe the scanners are going to make things better you too can line up to take your picture. I will not go through it. They can pat me down. Sorry but its all BS!
I agree although I don't have a problem with walking through one. I guess some are blessed, others not so much. haha. The security is so slack that someone doesn't need to worry about a scanner. They could just pay off an employee to walk around the thing. You think a TSA employee wouldn't accept a $5000 cash bribe? Besides, if someone really wanted to crash an airplane they could just sit at the end of the runway like I do (my intentions are to enjoy a little free time by watching planes land, not blow up) where the planes are only 100 ft. above. One could easily knock a plane out of the sky with a rocket launcher or RPG which could easily be bought on the streets of Raleigh (that's right, Raleigh) for a couple grand.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:09 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,160,026 times
^ great thoughts...

aslo, what is the problem with body scanners? theyre more effective than nothing, and i dont care if someone sees a b&w silhouette of naked me. it's like texting laws. maybe not totally effective, but better than doing nothing...

Old 03-06-2010, 09:37 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,511 times
The TSA website said it had been used as a back up if you failed the traditional metal detector. There are examples of what TSA sees on the scans on their website:

http://www.tsa.gov/graphics/images/approach/mmw_large.jpg (broken link)

http://www.tsa.gov/graphics/images/approach/backscatter_large.jpg (broken link)

They say there is no way to save the images they see. And quite honestly, I don't care if they can save them. Human body, everyone has one.

From TSA.gov:

* Strict privacy safeguards are built into the foundation of TSA’s use of advanced imaging technology to protect passenger privacy and ensure anonymity.
* The officer who assists the passenger never sees the image the technology produces.
* The officer who views the image is remotely located, in a secure resolution room and never sees the passenger.
* To further protect passenger privacy, millimeter wave technology blurs all facial features and backscatter has an algorithm applied to the entire image.
* The two officers communicate via wireless headset. Once the remotely located officer determines threat items are not present, that officer communicates wirelessly to the officer assisting the passenger. The passenger may then continue through the security process.
* Advanced imaging technology cannot store, print, transmit or save the image.
* Officers evaluating images are not permitted to take cameras, cell phones or photo-enabled devices into the resolution room.
* Each image is automatically deleted from the system after it is cleared by the remotely located security officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies