Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times

Advertisements

As College Tuitions Rise, Some Say It's Not Worth the Cost - ABC News

Would it be better for many (not all) 18 y/o's to shoot for learning a trade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
I believe the answer could be yes. More people who can make a decent living when they're not cut out for college is fine, plus trade schools can cost less than college. It'd certainly do a lot to relieve some of the disenfranchisement some of these kids are feeling. Who knows, maybe it'd be enough reason to bring quality manufacturing back into the US.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

I wonder why your people didn't mention some of the things that a degree and more than one degree are required to get the job. All kinds of physicians must get degrees to get licenses to practice. If one wants to go into law he has to have two degrees. I think there are more, many more, things like this that require at least a bachelor's degree.

Now let me tell you that both my wife and I have, in her case only one degree, but I have two of them. Neither of us could have been employed as teachers without one degree. Both of my sons refused to go to college. The oldest one has a two year degree from a juco but had to go those two years in order to get his job as a tractor technician. The youngest one didn't even go that far. Of course, the youngest one doesn't make as much money working as a parts man but he is getting along pretty good.

The biggest problem with our system is that too many people want every kid to go to college and too many of them just don't have the ability to do that.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:27 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 197,927 times
I was at my sister's high school graduation this summer,and as they were seated, they were asked; ''Those of you planning on attending college next year, please stand up.'' and literally 95% of the graduates stood up. I thought to myself ''My god you fools, you can't all make it this way. Whose gonna plumb, paint, roof, and take out my trash.'' Trades to this day are kinda still vital in some cases.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:27 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Yes a degree is worth it. But what degree? Engineering, Accounting, Nursing, Education are lucrative degrees with a definite return on investment at just the bachelor's level.

Other degrees, especially liberal arts- not so much.

Skilled trades? If you go after it at an early age and get into carpentry, plumbing, mechanic- you can have a solid career and build up your own personal brand or business. But you need a plan.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Altucher is quite the eccentric. He also claims that one should never own a home and that insider trading should be legal. So I'm not sure how much credibility he will garner. Not to say that there is anything wrong with making a living in a trade...but does he seriously think he would be where he is if he had just gone into plumbing?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
What sister was your school at?
Where to start with this?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:15 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
A college degree...worth the cost anymore?

I think this would depend on goals and expectations. Is it worth the cost of a Hummer just to drive it to the grocery once a week?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 PM

943 posts, read 782,553 times
Those with a Bachelors or higher have an unemployment rate now of 4.3%. This is very low!! We should do more to make higher education inexpensive, but lets not discredit a 4 year degree.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:27 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

The tuition at my school, University of Maryland, is about $8,000 a year. That's if you commute.

We are a top 20 business school and engineering school and the number 1 criminology school in the country. We're also pretty good at science and math.

If you attend a community college and then transfer into UMD that's even cheaper. If you do something like accounting or engineering or math and get GOOD GRADES then you are pretty much guaranteed a good job right out of college. Think making 50K+ as an accountant or 60K+ as an engineer, or over 40K (and job security) as an NSA analyst. And this isn't just at Maryland, this is at a lot of state universities throughout the country. Hell, places like Michigan are up there with the Ivies in terms of academics.

If I was paying my own way through college (I'm incredibly lucky and thankful to have parents who were able to save for it) I would definitely pick a cheap but great school and a program that has good job prospects. Heck, I'm not paying my way and I still did that.

There's no reason to take on boatloads of debt. The ivy league schools are pretty generous with their financial aid, particularly if your family makes less than $60K a year (free tuition). There are many state universities that are well-regarded and cheap. Going to community college for the first two years lowers the cost as well.

Then there is also the option, for those who are willing, to join the military and get the GI Bill.

So yes, if you're not paying out the ass and if you're getting a degree with good job prospects, it is certainly worth the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies