Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,332 times

Advertisements

Wall Street Could Face 10,000 Additional Job Losses - NYTimes.com

Yes, I know the OWS movement did not CAUSE this....but isn't this what they wanted? Or at least what some of them wanted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post

Yes, I know the OWS movement did not CAUSE this....but isn't this what they wanted? Or at least what some of them wanted?

Misery loves company, communist dance for joy when others are relegated to their stature.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times
No, I think they wanted financial reform.

Firing people doesn't reform anything.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
I think this just means that there's a bad economy, and these places need to cut costs for bonuses. You know...rewarding success.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:49 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
No, I think they wanted financial reform.

Firing people doesn't reform anything.
Since when is Wall Street responsible for writing financial reforms? Should these idiots be protesting their elected officials whose job it is to write and pass legislation??? Misguided idiots is all they are.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:52 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post

I seem to recall you throwing a hissy fit when Obama bailed out Chrysler and GM in an effort to keep 80,000 jobs from vanishing. What caused the change in your perspective?

Old 10-11-2011, 12:52 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Since when is Wall Street responsible for writing financial reforms?
They aren't. However, they've taken it upon themselves to influence financial legislation for at least 200 years or so.

Quote:
Should these idiots be protesting their elected officials whose job it is to write and pass legislation??? Misguided idiots is all they are.
If I wanted to convince my senator that wall street was a problem, I'd protest Wall Street, not my senator.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:56 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I think this just means that there's a bad economy, and these places need to cut costs for bonuses. You know...rewarding success.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:58 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Since when is Wall Street responsible for writing financial reforms? Should these idiots be protesting their elected officials whose job it is to write and pass legislation??? Misguided idiots is all they are.
The protest was originally based on the collusion between Washington and Wall Street and the impact this collusion has had on the American people. It is also a response to growing corporate profits in the face of the general economic downturn, the rising gap between the rich and the poor, and the rampant financial scandals of the past few years. Wall Street is a clear target for these complaints, but it isn't isolated to Wall Street.

There are people in Washington demonstrating in front of government buildings, as there are in many other cities (my local protest is having a rally in front of the State House). Elected officials don't make the choices they make without the pressure from Wall Street. It is the imbrication of these two sectors that is the problem, and attempting to pretend that Wall Street is innocent is dishonest at best. Most of OWS realizes that this is a structural issue, and every general assembly I've attended has acknowledged the complicity of politicians. In fact, in the non-NYC protests, this has been a central concern, since impacting our local politicians is one of the most important things we can do if we aren't in seats of power like NYC, LA, Philly, or Washington. In my state, we've pointed out that both of our senators received large sums from institutions whose interests said politicians have gone on to defend. This is an issue and bringing campaign finance reform to the table is one of the ways we've acknowledged this. Putting pressure on people trying to get reelected is a good way to get a quick response. This is only a part of the issue, as I've said, but it is relevant.

Not all of the protesters are misguided idiots, despite the claims of the message board warriors who sit behind their computers while things in our country get worse and worse. Many of them actually know what's up.

Look at how stupid this man is:

New York Observer: Exclusive "Occupy Wall Street" Unaired Fox Footage - YouTube

Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
In all honesty, I never thought I'd see the day that when it came time to take sides that the right wing would openly take sides with Wall Street over the demands of Main Street. But then, I've been known to be a bit naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies