Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 AM

89 posts, read 141,708 times

Advertisements

Okay, right now, liberalism is ‘cool’ and cries of redistribution are the ‘in’ thing, seemingly to culminate with this ‘occupy Wall Street’ movement. While I’m not sure exactly what the political demands of this group are, I think it’s high time we all ask ourselves this. Would these ‘rich-getting-richer’ billionaires be that rich if we didn’t rush out to buy all their products? When we need a car, suppose we bought one off someone living down the street trying to sell theirs (whose probably in the same working class we are) instead of going down to borrow money and pay interest to a bank, just so we can have a new trendy car. And every time some trendy celebrity comes out with some new product line, why do we run out and buy them, just to make them richer and us poorer? Perhaps these same protesting sheeple are the ones who made them rich in the first place, and now they want ‘big brother’ government to undo all their own rash buying decisions. Yes, we do need food and shelter to survive, and nothing wrong with having computers and kitchen gadgets. But we sure jump on the trendy bandwagons, (that make other people rich and put us in debt) and then we protest about how bad we’re in debt and how rich they got. HELLO! If you want to do something about it, maybe change your buying habits and your outlook on life.

I mean, teens and tweens follow trends without question because they’re immature, but grown adults, and many with college educations? Isn’t it high time we make trend-following and celebrity/politician worship something ‘uncool?’

So, to sum it up, the working people MADE them rich. Soon, they’ll be new celebs out with ‘cool’ songs, attractive bodies in scant clothing on the movie screen, and record-breaking sports feats. And they’ll be selling albums, DVDS, and all sorts of products. Are you going to rush out and buy them? If so, you’ll be getting all the poorer (think what else that money could buy for you) and they’ll be getting all the richer! Think about it. It doesn’t matter who’s in D.C. The problem lies with us, no matter how crooked the government it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM

88,729 posts, read 44,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post
Okay, right now, liberalism is ‘cool’ and cries of redistribution are the ‘in’ thing, seemingly to culminate with this ‘occupy Wall Street’ movement. While I’m not sure exactly what the political demands of this group are, I think it’s high time we all ask ourselves this. Would these ‘rich-getting-richer’ billionaires be that rich if we didn’t rush out to buy all their products? When we need a car, suppose we bought one off someone living down the street trying to sell theirs (whose probably in the same working class we are) instead of going down to borrow money and pay interest to a bank, just so we can have a new trendy car. And every time some trendy celebrity comes out with some new product line, why do we run out and buy them, just to make them richer and us poorer? Perhaps these same protesting sheeple are the ones who made them rich in the first place, and now they want ‘big brother’ government to undo all their own rash buying decisions. Yes, we do need food and shelter to survive, and nothing wrong with having computers and kitchen gadgets. But we sure jump on the trendy bandwagons, (that make other people rich and put us in debt) and then we protest about how bad we’re in debt and how rich they got. HELLO! If you want to do something about it, maybe change your buying habits and your outlook on life.

I mean, teens and tweens follow trends without question because they’re immature, but grown adults, and many with college educations? Isn’t it high time we make trend-following and celebrity/politician worship something ‘uncool?’

So, to sum it up, the working people MADE them rich. Soon, they’ll be new celebs out with ‘cool’ songs, attractive bodies in scant clothing on the movie screen, and record-breaking sports feats. And they’ll be selling albums, DVDS, and all sorts of products. Are you going to rush out and buy them? If so, you’ll be getting all the poorer (think what else that money could buy for you) and they’ll be getting all the richer! Think about it. It doesn’t matter who’s in D.C. The problem lies with us, no matter how crooked the government it.
Very astute post! Look at how many of the OWS protesters are sporting the latest cell phones, electronics, etc.

Hypocrites, all.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,936,051 times
The Occupy movement is less about consumerism and more about the collusion between Wall Street and Washington. Pointing out that the occupiers have cell phones or computers as InformedConsent has done above is the height of stupidity. Most of them don't want to end corporations, they want to end the undue influence that corporations and economic elites have on our political process.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,969,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post

Very nice original post. Thanks for no 'links' to other people's opinions.

I tend to agree. I am amazed at how some people will rush out to purchase the latest 'iphone' or whatever, even if they can't really afford it.

But, then again, in 1964 I bought a Beatle's wig (which I wish I still had). Being trendy is part of the American way, as well as moaning about the 'rich'.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,921,961 times
Change investment behavior in the stock market. Only invest in companies that have a solid financial statement and make money off of dividends and not speculation. Speculation that the price of stocks is going to go up is nothing more than a ponzi scheme.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
The Occupy movement is less about consumerism and more about the collusion between Wall Street and Washington. Pointing out that the occupiers have cell phones or computers as InformedConsent has done above is the height of stupidity. Most of them don't want to end corporations, they want to end the undue influence that corporations and economic elites have on our political process.
Um... they could stop buying the products if they REALLY believed in their 'supposed' cause.

Instead, they support the exact same corporations they're protesting by continuing to buy their products, many on CREDIT, no less. Hypocrites, all.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,270,824 times
Hm.... Corporations don't make direct contributions to candidates.... That is against federal law. Instead they donate through their employees donating to PAC's. So you have thousands of Americans working for corporations who donate through political action committees.

In 2008 one of the biggest political donors to candidates was the International Association of Firefighters PAC. This political action committee donated over 2.7 million to get its candidates elected. This was about as much as the Bank PAC donated.

... Is OWS protesting firefighters? After all... this gives them quite the influence on politics, right?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Um... they could stop buying the products if they REALLY believed in their 'supposed' cause.

Instead, they support the exact same corporations they're protesting by continuing to buy their products, many on CREDIT, no less. Hypocrites, all.
You ignored my entire post and repeated the talking point you already established in your first post. This is not about primarily consumer goods at large (and many of the protesters DO avoid buying products for organizations they don't support, by the way), it's about financial institutions and the undue control of money over our political process. How much more clear do I need be for you to stop responding to me with snide emoticons and pointless asides?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
You ignored my entire post and repeated the talking point you already established in your first post. This is not about primarily consumer goods at large
Really? How ELSE did so many of them end up with the exorbitant credit card debt about which they're complaining?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Hm.... Corporations don't make direct contributions to candidates.... That is against federal law. Instead they donate through their employees donating to PAC's. So you have thousands of Americans working for corporations who donate through political action committees.

In 2008 one of the biggest political donors to candidates was the International Association of Firefighters PAC. This political action committee donated over 2.7 million to get its candidates elected. This was about as much as the Bank PAC donated.

... Is OWS protesting firefighters? After all... this gives them quite the influence on politics, right?
Do firefighters push legislation in Wall Street in a way that allows them to bilk the American people, leading to global crises? Do firefighters continually push for the deregulation of firefighting so that they can basically do whatever they want? These are public sector employees and they mostly fight for pensions, disability, and safety concern. Do you see the difference here, or are you just being purposefully dense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies