Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:22 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Of course, there is no need to attend college in Germany, thus the percentage with degrees is much lower. Why would I endure studying for years if I hate studying and am more into something else like making violins or whatever? In the US attending college is much more important as there are few sophisticated alternatives.

Yes, as I said GPA is the only real obstacle to college. I remember that when I was about to enter university speaking Latin was still a requirement But I guess they have changed that meanwhile.

I don't know if the guy from the video would have gotten into college in Germany, depends on the subject. Maybe he is smarter than that unfortunate video suggests
I respectfully disagree. There are many many technical schools, there is training via the military for mechanics, radar operators, computer techs (where one of my friends learned his job skills) and so forth.

As a point of irony, my gf was just talking to a person she knows to get a new violin for her daughter....and yep....the guy makes violins and trained under his father here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
but i think what people want to know is "why" college education is not provided or at least more attainable? And it does "matter about other countries" (bad grammar btw) because the innovation around the world will leave our consumerist country in the dust.
You mean the majority of the left want to know why college education is not provided. It is called entitlement mentality.

I would venture to say most on the right realize that college is not a 'given' and plan accordingly to either obtain an education or start working to better their lot in life.

The US has always been a world leader until Obama started destroying us. That will start to resolve once he is out of office.

It is always funny to me when people here start to wax poetic about the US lagging behind in the world because of our 'consumerist country'. LOL. Additionally, there is always a very simple solution available - MOVE.

And btw....I do not need YOU to correct my grammar. But thanks for trying to deflect for a moment in your tireless rant.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:29 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The fact that Greece is bankrupt doesn't say anything about their education system. Some countries with "free" higher education are doing fine, others not so. The reasons for Greece's economic problems are of a different kind.
Greece's economic problems are the EU's economic problems. I mentioned to a friend over 10 years ago when news was coming out about EU members not meeting budget guidelines (aka overspending) that the EU would eventually end badly as some were starting to figure out that they could spend on the backs of the other countries.

Again, the countries presented have highly restricted "free" higher education. Just like here in the US where we have free higher education for some and others have to pay.

About 1 in 4 students in Germany are paying for higher education anyway right now.....I thought it was free? (See referenced numbers earlier about how many attend private university and how many attend for the "free" kind)

Old 10-13-2011, 07:38 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And since they will have to work for the rest of their lives anyway, why not get started learning to work. Learning to work, to hold a job should be more a part of the educational process than it is, and there is no good reason someone can't start working when they reach adulthood.

Have you ever hired a college graduate who had never clocked in, has no idea how to figure out overtime pay, doesn't understand why one is expected to show up for work most of the time, and has no customer service skills of any kind? Don't rule out even the least elite kind of job as something you can't learn in. In fact it's those jobs that do the most character building.

Yes the USA is different than Europe, we want it to be. Just like in the USA, it's somewhat amusing to watch that show "The Boss" where the top guy has no idea what's going on at the front lines of his own company, a show like that wouldn't likely go over in Europe but it does here.
You mean 'Undercover Boss'? It comes from Europe - the UK to be precise - and there are versions in a host of other European countries:
Undercover Boss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 AM

855 posts, read 1,172,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
You mean the majority of the left want to know why college education is not provided. It is called entitlement mentality.

I would venture to say most on the right realize that college is not a 'given' and plan accordingly to either obtain an education or start working to better their lot in life.

The US has always been a world leader until Obama started destroying us. That will start to resolve once he is out of office.

It is always funny to me when people here start to wax poetic about the US lagging behind in the world because of our 'consumerist country'. LOL. Additionally, there is always a very simple solution available - MOVE.

And btw....I do not need YOU to correct my grammar. But thanks for trying to deflect for a moment in your tireless rant.

LOL looks like my two-line, tireless rant got under your skin you're so emotional. i'm sorry but not really.

also, thanks for offering the option to move; however, unlike you, I choose to challenge our country to change and adapt to what's happening globally. It's not a left thing or a right thing, it's that a lot of us care enough about our country to realize that going backwards to the way things were won't help us move forward with the rest of the world.

let me stop before i "wax poetic"

Old 10-13-2011, 07:42 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
LOL looks like my two-line, tireless rant got under your skin you're so emotional. i'm sorry but not really.

also, thanks for offering the option to move; however, unlike you, I choose to challenge our country to change and adapt to what's happening globally. It's not a left thing or a right thing, it's that a lot of us care enough about our country to realize that going backwards to the way things were won't help us move forward with the rest of the world.

let me stop before i "wax poetic"
Please do!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM

855 posts, read 1,172,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Please do!

only if you go first.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Greece's economic problems are the EU's economic problems. I mentioned to a friend over 10 years ago when news was coming out about EU members not meeting budget guidelines (aka overspending) that the EU would eventually end badly as some were starting to figure out that they could spend on the backs of the other countries.

Again, the countries presented have highly restricted "free" higher education. Just like here in the US where we have free higher education for some and others have to pay.

About 1 in 4 students in Germany are paying for higher education anyway right now.....I thought it was free? (See referenced numbers earlier about how many attend private university and how many attend for the "free" kind)
Tuition already is or will soon be abolished in 14 of the 16 states. And in the remaining two tuition ranges between 100 and 500 Euros per semester. Compared to the US that is a symbolic amount. Plus, there are several exceptions, not to mention interest-free loans to compensate.
Basically the entire tuition experiment has only caused bureaucracy, which is why the experiment is being phased out.
If you don't believe me and speak any German, check out that table:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studien...esl.C3.A4ndern
Some tuition fees will remain, namely for those who study for a second degree in an unrelated subject, and those who take much longer than they should.

Private universities are rare in Germany. Most of them are MBA mills, some of them are in severe financial problems, the one in Witten for instance almost had to close. But it was saved by the state
Private universities are the only elitist universities in Germany, because of the tuition. In terms of quality they are often inferior to public universities, though. Only 5 % of students attend private universities and colleges.

Have to go and work, will be back at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies