Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 05:35 PM

478 posts, read 959,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
How can you say that?

My son just got home from Al-Habanyia. That's about 15 miles or so from Falujah. His patrol area was a triangle from Bahgdad, to Falujah, to Al-Habanyia. This zone a year ago was one of the most dangerous zones in Iraq. 3 weeks ago, just before he left, he had to go out and get a disabled truck. Wasn't disabled due to gun fire or IED, it just plain broke down. A year ago, they would take 20-30 men, 7 or 8 humvee's, and the wrecker to retrieve that vehicle. 3 weeks ago, they took one humvee with 2 people, and the wrecker with 2 people. They felt comfortable and not worried at all.

Explain to me how the surge is not working.
If the 1,800 Iraqi's and 80+ American soldiers who were killed this past month were alive, they probably would be able to explain to you how it isn't working so well.

BAGHDAD - Civilian deaths rose in August to their second-highest monthly level this year, according to figures compiled Saturday by The Associated Press. That raises questions about whether U.S. strategy is working days before Congress receives landmark reports that will decide the course of the war.

More than 1,800 Iraqis killed in August - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 05:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Well, all I can say is that I get my info from Soldiers that were there. Not from Yipee news who reports nothing worth a crap.

For instance, Falujah was a real hotspot. It is no more. Anbar was a real hotspot, it is no more. Yipee won't tell you that, they'll report numbers and then exploit that ten fold so that they can sell news. Read what you want, or visit with a person that was there.

The number of casualties have absolutely nothing to do with whether the surge is working or not. For that number of casualties, how much ground did we gain?

Old 09-01-2007, 05:58 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,085 times
Quote:
Well, all I can say is that I get my info from Soldiers that were there. Not from Yipee news who reports nothing worth a crap.

For instance, Falujah was a real hotspot. It is no more. Anbar was a real hotspot, it is no more. Yipee won't tell you that, they'll report numbers and then exploit that ten fold so that they can sell news. Read what you want, or visit with a person that was there.

The number of casualties have absolutely nothing to do with whether the surge is working or not. For that number of casualties, how much ground did we gain?
No ground is worth one soldiers life. Next week it will be given away as a present.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Casualties in a conflict are a fact of life. What we have to work with are acceptable numbers.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:23 PM

478 posts, read 959,587 times
Quote:

That Yippee News is actually the Associated Press. And I suppose next month, when they tell you Patreaus reports that the surge is working, which he surely will do... - all of a sudden then it will be a credible news source, right?

Whatever, 1,800 people dead in a month to idiot America is nothing. It's just a number in a place far away. How can you say the number of casualites has nothing to do with whether the "surge" is working? Tell that to the people getting blown up and shot over there. This "war" is a f*cking farce. And it will never be successful. Dick Cheney, that evil slimeball, admitted that going into Baghdad and beyond would be a quagmire in 1994. And nothing has changed between then and 2003 to alter that reality. And don't give the bs that sept 11 changed it - it didn't - they still knew it was going to be an all out civil war. This "war" isn't be waged to be won - it's being waged to be sustained. Just like Vietnam... the longer it goes on, the more money being made by the crooks who started it.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Dick Durbin (#2 man in the Senate)
WASHINGTON The no. 2 Democrat in the Senate the assistant majority leader, Richard Durbin of Illinois is conceding that the surge of American troops has led to military progress in Iraq.
A Ranking Senate Democrat Concedes Surge Is Working - August 9, 2007 - The New York Sun

Hillary Clinton (#1 contender for the Dem nomination)
August 21, 2007 -- WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton told a veterans group yesterday that President Bush's troop surge is working -- but that it is still time to bring U.S. troops home from Iraq.
"It's working. We're just years too late in our tactics," she said, referring to the beefed-up U.S. troop presence battling insurgents in Iraq, including war-torn Anbar province.
IRAQ SURGE WORKING, BUT TOO LATE: HILLARY CLINTON | By GEOFF EARLE | National News | US News | Current National News

Carl Levin (#1 man on the Defense committee)
Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin says he saw “credible and positive results from the surge of troops in Iraq ordered by President George W. Bush but remains skeptical about whether military successes will lead to political resolutions in that war-torn country.
Levin: Troop surge has 'positive results' in Iraq (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070820/NEWS07/70820030 - broken link)

And you know what all 3 of these have in common? They all said the surge would not work.

Hillary Admits The Surge Is Working, But...
Hillary Admits The Surge Is Working, But...

Democrats Fear Positive Iraq Report
Democrats Fear Positive Iraq Report

The American Military Surge In Iraq Is Working / Democrats praise military progress
Democrats praise military progress in Iraq

SURGE SWAMPS ITS CRITICS
SURGE SWAMPS ITS CRITICS

"A War We Just Might Win" New York Times July 30, 2007 / Iraqis bask in joy.
"A War We Just Might Win" New York Times July 30, 2007 / Iraqis bask in joy.
when was it appropriate to withdraw from the vietnam war?
never!!!
when is it appropriate to withdraw from the iraq war?
ask a loyalist
the answer is always the same.
stephen s.
san diego

Old 09-02-2007, 06:32 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,085 times
Quote:
How can you say that?

My son just got home from Al-Habanyia. That's about 15 miles or so from Falujah. His patrol area was a triangle from Bahgdad, to Falujah, to Al-Habanyia. This zone a year ago was one of the most dangerous zones in Iraq. 3 weeks ago, just before he left, he had to go out and get a disabled truck. Wasn't disabled due to gun fire or IED, it just plain broke down. A year ago, they would take 20-30 men, 7 or 8 humvee's, and the wrecker to retrieve that vehicle. 3 weeks ago, they took one humvee with 2 people, and the wrecker with 2 people. They felt comfortable and not worried at all.

Explain to me how the surge is not working.
Thought I would not mention this, but, for three British servicemen all young boys that come from my neighbourhood the surge is not working. They were killed last week by "Friendly fire" you know what that means I suppose?

Old 09-02-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
Thought I would not mention this, but, for three British servicemen all young boys that come from my neighbourhood the surge is not working. They were killed last week by "Friendly fire" you know what that means I suppose?
I know exactly what that means, do you? Either they weren't identified, they had jacka$$' behind them that were scared and didn't take the time to identify, or they walked in front of it. There's several reasons that that happens. You accept those possibilities when you go in.

Again, the surge is working. We're talking an entire country here. Not 3 peoples exploits.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:18 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
The point is - the military aspect of the surge appears to be leading to some positive results.

But - The surge was supposed to allow the factions time to get together to work on their country. The recent report shows this is not happening. 3 of the 18 benchmarks have been met? These guys can't agree on eggs or pancakes for breakfast.

And we can't sustain the surge levels of troops past early-mid spring, military experts agree, without increasing deployments again or instituting a draft.

So will the country be hunkydory by spring. Not likely. So then what is the plan?

This is what Bush is supposed to talk about in his big speech later this month. And if he just keeps on with his "Stay the Course" ..."Leaving is Chaos"..."Remember Vietnam"...Shtick, then we know without a doubt we are in big trouble.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:36 AM

Can't argue with that logic.

However, they should be off their 30 days of heat vacation so they can work on it again.

We should have withdrew into our compounds and not done a damn thing while they were out on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies