Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
If it happened before then it wasn't as "in your face" and frequent as it is now. I don't think the thugs of the past were eager to make reels or VHS tapes of themselves attacking defenseless women for laughs.
This is exactly my point. "If it happened before"?!!!!

The ignorance you show is astonishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,990,710 times
Boys attacking helpless girls, or men attacking women? Sorry, there's nothing "new America" about it, stuff like this has been going on since the beginning of time. Always reprehensible, still no known cure for it.

Quote:
]To anyone coming to the defense of these criminals, how would you feel if they did this to you or your relatives at their most defenseless state?
LoL and who exactly is defending such actions?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
By that rationale folks should be ok with slavery, capital punishment and any host of unspeakable evil simply because it happened somewhere during some point in the past.

Still I would love for you to direct us to a period of time or culture where it was acceptable for young men to pummel disabled women unprovoked?

In this country, it's nothing new.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Quote:
Laughing like jackals, a group of "disadvantaged young men" use their new iPhone to film an attack on a mentally disabled woman. They spit at her, punch her in the face and knock her to the ground. Is this what the country has become? The overtolerance for disgraceful and violent behavior has made it "hip" to be vicious lowlifes.

To anyone coming to the defense of these criminals, how would you feel if they did this to you or your relatives at their most defenseless state?

Video
That's a pretty strange heading on the video...how our equals treat the...

What's that supposed to mean?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:56 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
This is exactly my point. "If it happened before"?!!!!

The ignorance you show is astonishing.
''It'' is the filming. They had a plan, it may not have been the large punch at the end, but they had a loose idea for filming some type of physical abuse.
She surprised him when she ran at him. His buddy shamed him into pounding her, by questioning his manhood.

The 'man' behind the camera was the director of this 'media event'.

I believe the violence happened before, but it has reached a new level, because the 'victim' is now just a part of the script. She is not a sentient being,
just a prop, for this 'film'. Total de-sensivitation, like in a video game.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:02 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,284,875 times
Ghetto culture, notice the bystanders walking by and not doing anything.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Ghetto culture, notice the bystanders walking by and not doing anything.

I don't know how true it is but I heard a story 30+ years ago. Could be true or it could be suburban legend.
A guy from the east coast tried to mug a woman in a roadside rest area somewhere in Arizona. 5 armed citizens opened up on the would-be attacker and police said he died from the 40 or so holes in his torso and skull.

The reality is there are some places where such an attack will happen unencumbered as the frightened bystanders look the other way while in other areas, some gun-toting redneck just looking for an excuse will happily change the thug's outlook.
While it's easy for some to poke fun of the gun-toting redneck and make comments about the size of his equipment, you have to ask yourself, if you are the one being attacked, would you prefer a sidewalk filled with heavily armed rednecks just looking for an excuse, or a sidewalk filled with frightened rabbits looking for a place to hide?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
In this country, it's nothing new.
Where and when? Details please. We're not just referring to beating women, sadly domestic violence is a fact of life. I challenge you to find an example in the distant past, heck confine it to the black community if you'd like where this type of behavior was endemic and celebrated.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I don't know how true it is but I heard a story 30+ years ago. Could be true or it could be suburban legend.
A guy from the east coast tried to mug a woman in a roadside rest area somewhere in Arizona. 5 armed citizens opened up on the would-be attacker and police said he died from the 40 or so holes in his torso and skull.

The reality is there are some places where such an attack will happen unencumbered as the frightened bystanders look the other way while in other areas, some gun-toting redneck just looking for an excuse will happily change the thug's outlook.
While it's easy for some to poke fun of the gun-toting redneck and make comments about the size of his equipment, you have to ask yourself, if you are the one being attacked, would you prefer a sidewalk filled with heavily armed rednecks just looking for an excuse, or a sidewalk filled with frightened rabbits looking for a place to hide?
Even your story is not analogous to the video. These kids are not robbing folks they just want to beat on someone for no other reason to film it for laughs.

To me that is far more troubling then violence committed during the course of a robbery. At least there is a rational explanation for the behavior, there is no rational explanation for the behavior in the video. I also find the attempts of some posters to brush this away even more troubling.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:37 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post

this one's easy. i'll take the hated 'rednecks.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies